Nintendo Switch Lite Announced, Release 9/20/19. MSRP $200

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/

In a video today, Nintendo introduced Nintendo Switch Lite, a device designed specifically to play Nintendo Switch games in handheld mode. The Nintendo Switch Lite system launches Sept. 20 at a suggested retail price of $199.99 and will be available in three different colors: yellow, gray and turquoise. A carrying case and screen protector set for Nintendo Switch Lite will also be available.

"Adding Nintendo Switch Lite to the lineup gives gamers more color and price point options," said Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser. "Now consumers can choose the system that best suits how they like to play their favorite Nintendo Switch games."

The flagship Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017 and offers three different play modes: playing in TV mode by placing the system into a Nintendo Switch dock, playing cooperatively or competitively in tabletop mode by sharing Joy-Con controllers and playing in handheld mode. The system comes with either Gray Joy-Con controllers or Neon Red and Neon Blue Joy-Con controllers.

Nintendo Switch Lite has integrated controls and is smaller than the flagship version of Nintendo Switch. It has no kickstand and, as a dedicated handheld gaming device, does not support video output to a TV. Therefore, it does not come with a dock or HDMI cable. For a full list of the differences between Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare.

The new device can play all games in the robust Nintendo Switch library that support handheld mode*, although some games will have restrictions. Compatible game modes will be listed on the back of game packaging and in Nintendo eShop.

Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite owners can get together to enjoy compatible multiplayer titles like Super Mario Maker 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate together via Nintendo Switch Online** or local wireless multiplayer***.

For additional information about Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/.

* For games that support tabletop mode, players can wirelessly connect Joy-Con controllers (sold separately) to Nintendo Switch Lite. In these cases, users will need to have a device to recharge Joy-Con controllers, such as the Joy-Con Charging Grip.
**Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online play. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Terms apply. nintendo.com/switch-online
***Additional systems and software required.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Nintendo Switch™ system and the Nintendo 3DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.7 billion video games and more than 740 million hardware units globally, including Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS™ family of systems, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™, Wii™ and Wii U™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names, such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokémon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Americas. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at https://www.nintendo.com.
No TV mode, no tabletop mode, no joycons ...

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Damn fine console, will probably trade my OG Switch in for one of these, because it’ll be a lot better built! And is less complex so will be more reliable too and has a better battery life, and it’s screen is better as it’s the same resolution but smaller.
Shame it won’t connect to the TV but some third party company may get around it?

deckard666

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
No they won’t easily as the usb c port doesn’t output video. Odd they kept the Switch name as it doesn’t ....

hawkeye_a

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2016
A Switch....that doesn't "switch". Only Nintendo.

IMHO, i think this product is a mistake as it complicated the proposition of the console/brand in the marketplace with missing features.

Come to think of it a $100 price differential is almost the price of just the dock.

tkukoc

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wish I Was In Space!
That’s not known for sure yet. And someone will hack it if it’s software related.
I was thinking the same thing. Someone will definitely check in on this once released.
[doublepost=1562865480][/doublepost]
So much negativity... sad people aren’t excited for new hardware and just criticise. I guess the same can be said for Apple products too.
True, guess we shall see how this plays once released. Probably not much different then the current setup. I like the idea of no joycons, I never took them off my system when playing anyway. With the news of an updated Switch with faster CPU coming that is putting me off on purchasing anything further in the switch line.. I'm content with what I have. Next system I purchase will probably be an updated xbox.. though I really do hate switching because I don't play many games anymore. But somehow they always hook me by releasing 1 game I see a preview of and go.. aghhhhh I need it! lol

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
I was thinking the same thing. Someone will definitely check in on this once released.
[doublepost=1562865480][/doublepost]
True, guess we shall see how this plays once released. Probably not much different then the current setup. I like the idea of no joycons, I never took them off my system when playing anyway. With the news of an updated Switch with faster CPU coming that is putting me off on purchasing anything further in the switch line.. I'm content with what I have. Next system I purchase will probably be an updated xbox.. though I really do hate switching because I don't play many games anymore. But somehow they always hook me by releasing 1 game I see a preview of and go.. aghhhhh I need it! lol
I’m with you, I just don’t like the weak feeling of the Joycons when they are on my Switch, just doesn’t inspire confidence it’ll last.
I also want a more portable system, so I’ll be changing, the fact it’s got better battery life and screen and processor are a great boon :)

But Nintendo will be updating the OG Switch soon according to FCC filings, plus we have this rumoured Switch Pro model, so I think they are covering all bases for all tastes.

deckard666

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I’m not negative it’s just a very very easy cash grab. Nintendo are normally a little more “innovative” and why has it still the Switch name when it patently doesn’t. Would it have killed them to rectify the glaring omission of support for BT headphones ?

Better screen ? Higher Rez screen cause it’s smaller isn’t better in fact I think some people will really struggle to read text on it...I know I do with some games on my full fat switch already...

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
I’m not negative it’s just a very very easy cash grab. Nintendo are normally a little more “innovative” and why has it still the Switch name when it patently doesn’t. Would it have killed them to rectify the glaring omission of support for BT headphones ?
Let me tell you about how many times I bought a DS.

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008

Better screen ? Higher Rez screen cause it’s smaller isn’t better in fact I think some people will really struggle to read text on it...I know I do with some games on my full fat switch already...
A higher res screen with increased DPI is better, and Nintendo said they would be creating a ‘family’ of Switches, it’s their product name and up to them how it’s used. Considering it plays Switch games then I think it makes perfect sense to call it a Switch. Thy are doing the exact same thing they did with the DS.

Reactions: orbital~debris

deckard666

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
On that logic let’s reduce it another 3 inches and say it’s super hi Rez......a better screen would be a bigger one with improved resolution not a reduction.

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
Guessing it is a DS replacement... not a switch replacement.
It's neither, it is for people who want a portable Switch, cheaper and sturdier, or a second switch for on the go (or for kids).

Won't replace the original as it does less (no TV out) and won't replace the 3DS as it does not do what a DS (DUAL SCREEN) does.

The 3ds is still alive and kicking even if for some unexplicable reason people want it to die :D

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
Not saying i necessarily want the DS to die. But the dual screen thing is pretty much a gimmick...
Not really, where games supported, it is / was AWESOME see Sonic RUSH!

That is / was down to developer to make good use of it.
So much negativity... sad people aren’t excited for new hardware and just criticise. I guess the same can be said for Apple products too.
Haven't seen much negativity, posted this cliche too soon? :p try again in a couple of pages, it 'll work then :D

Last edited:

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
Exactly what I expectedm and a perfect companion to my Switch.

This is the perfect version, they should have released this 2 years ago.....but then again, they would have lost money as I would have purchased this instead of the regular one, and now I will have both.

Kudos to Nintendo, perfect version!

phillytim

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Nintendo really should have used the thumb circle pads of the 3DS instead of the thumb sticks, to help prevent stick breakage due to dropping or if it gets shoved in a bag - for this model said to be built for portability.
[doublepost=1563191791][/doublepost]
... and won't replace the 3DS as it does not do what a DS (DUAL SCREEN) does.
The 3ds is still alive and kicking even if for some unexplicable reason people want it to die :D
Yeah the Switch/Lite is a very different style of gaming than a DS/3DS.

I bought the Switch in 2017, but frankly I'd much rather have a new generation of the DS/3DS-style gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: YaBe

hawkeye_a

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2016
It's interesting that the software(OS, games) and services are the same...... the hardware form factor and market differ, but they're both on the "Switch platform".

One could imagine, a portable and desktop console, one tuned for battery life, one tuned for higher-resolution and performance, both running the same games and using the same online services.

The "Switch"(the original one), is in between, and why not.... i suspect we will see a "console only" product (no portability) with higher clock speeds, at ~$249 price point? or maybe even $199.

Great for developers as well...write the game once, and it runs on a portable and home console, using different configurations tuned for each of them.

Reactions: orbital~debris