Nintendo to announce a new DS with camera and music player?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by BoyBach, Sep 29, 2008.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10053046-1.html

Nintendo are said to be announcing a new product this Thursday. Could it be a new DS model?

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

God I hope not. The DS following is massive, and to make it an upgrade that only some games could take advantage of...sucks!

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope they release a (decent) camera option for current DS Lite users. But either way I'm really into my DS at the moment, and provided they make other improvements I'll probably get it. A Lite with a cam doesn't do it for me.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If they put WPA2 on it, I'd probably consider getting it just for that. :p

Seriously, I'll be curious to see what they do. Producing a successor to something this successful is always tricky. But then the DS has been out for a number of years now; it might be nice for it to have some new capabilities, even if that means I need to get new hardware....

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

An Actual New DS Out For Xmas would be nice, the DS and PSP Need succesors, not younger more attractive sisters.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I call BS, why do it now? They still sell a billion DS's a month around the world, and splitting user bases by adding key features is just silly.

Maybe adding the music/improved wireless but a camera? er.... look how fast camera's advance in cell phones, imagine still using that old cell phone cam from 3 years ago and tell me the DS wouldn't be any different a few years from now.

7. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I don't think this would be a good move. They should just concentrate on making the next generation. If you want a larger screen, expandable memory, music and video then just get a PSP.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The DS doesn't need music, but I could see something like the PictoChat, something simple.

Anyways, besides the wi-fi improvement -- which would hopefully make it easier to setup -- I don't really like what these sites are reporting as what could be. A camera and music support, EH!

What I would REALLY like, is that that they upgrade at least top screen to 320x240 and setup a VC to DS transfer system like the PSN to PSP setup. Imagine how weird dual screen games would look..

9. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Yes, the need more Wii to DS connectivity. An online store would be great for Virtual Console games.

802.11n would be nice, but unlikely. Having the Opera browser built in would be a smart move. I think most people have an iPod already for music and video.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The DS came out in what? 2001? I look forward to a DS 2 or something eventually. Better graphics please. Thanks! An acceleramator too!

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Announced in 2003, released 2004. GBA was out in 2001 IIRC.
    And no accelerometre either! From what I played of Yoshi's Gravitation and iPhone gaming = no! It works on the Wii because you're not looking at the Wii controller as you play. But who knows.

VC playback would be immense. To be finally able to play portable Super Metroid (even the PSP can't seem to handle that exact game) would be worth the purchase itself for me!
    And 320x240 is the native res for you know what :p

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

What the hell, I clicked on your link and some image showed up.. I was expecting Buck Rogers: Count Down to Doomsday. :p *I KID* :D

I've often thought that Nintendo avoided this common resolution to hopefully inhibit some piracy.

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'd be happy. I was planning on picking up a Lite within a month (still got my launch day phat).

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

By now a portable gamecube should be with us..... :rolleyes: Come on nintendo 'up the ante' for once...

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

All I want out of Nintendo now is a decent online service for the handheld(VC sharing would be really nice).....the DS is already huge, I don't know where else they could take it.

Bless

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They did, look at what MS and Sony have added to their systems ;)

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I figured a true GameBoy update would be able to play Cube discs and suck battery like a PSP. That would be one powerful portable!

I've see those home made mods. I would LOVE WindWaker on the go!!!

18. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Phantom Hourglass? :p

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I played it and beatified it!!! I didn't get all of the golden parts, but I got all of the gems. :)

I WANT MORE GAMES LIKE THIS!!!! And this time I want more funny graphic adventure moments. :eek:

Nintendo never sent me my Zelda:pH feather stylus. I was suppose to get one for a survey I took. :(

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd replay pretty much all 25 GC games I own if a portable GC was released :)

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

25? :eek:

I only own 6; Wind Waker, Prime 1, Prime 2, Mario Party 4, Capcom vs SNK, and Double Dash. I've owned a few more, but sold them. There's allot of Cube games I didn't buy, but should have. :eek:

When the Wii came out, the used Cube games in my area were practically wiped clean from the local game stores.

22. Aranince macrumors 65816

If the new DS has the ability to transfer VC games...I am sold. That would really push the Wii and the VC to new heights. Music and camera is debatable as a need, unless the camera has a good resolution. Nintendo also really needs to pump up it's graphics department.

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So.... this even thing is at 12 midnight pacific? I guess I'll see what happens in the morning. I'm not staying up till 2 :p.

24. nintendude macrumors 6502

i thought it was around 10:30 PM mountain time

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My interest is peaked. I was considering a PSP for mobile usage and software.

I'd rather purchase Nintendo hardware but come on, Skype!