Nintendo Wii Campout

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Davidish, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Davidish macrumors member

Still after 2 years from it's release, is the Nintendo Wii still sold out everywhere? I was thinking of going to go buy one this Black Friday and wondering if I should go camp out or is it not necessary?

And about how long before the store opens do you suggest going?

Thanks. :D

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If you have a Frys go there. I ALWAYS see them in stock. They usually have stacks of them. Best Buy, and Circuit City around here has them, Costco, and Sams Club has bundles with them.. No need to wait, its not sold out, just look. If you camp out for one I have a bridge I would like to sell you...

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

LOL, you'll probably have to cough up a bridge. :D

---

There are Wiis every where right, but if this is like the DS, they'll disappear in early December, so you should buy now, then use the sales to get the accessories.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

For a Wii? Really? With it's plethora of AAA games this fall?

*sorry, a little bitter*

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wii's are starting to become out of stock here too, the rest of the year was purrrfect but all the console manufacturers have gone crazy with advertising (our shopping centre even had a Wii demostation, not seen that since its launch). These things always sell out around xmas, and even more so during sales.

Btw - for UK folk reading this and wanting to buy a Wii, get one before Monday. What with Vat being cut to 15% nobody in their right mind will buy anything until then leaving the shops a haven for folk who don't care over the few quid they'll save. Maybe.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm still seeing Wiis where I live but I have a feeling they won't last long....

camp out for a wii....hell yeah!..I mean it does provide me with hours of enjoyment/sarcasm

Bless

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

bitter but bang on the mark....

The wii goes to prove that a game system doesn't necessarily need a plethora of triple AAA titles (the wii has what a small handful) to sell huge volumes at retail. It also goes to prove that those crap casual games which are just appalling on every level, (gameplay, technically etc...) unfortunately do sell and make publishers a **** load of money.

Wii is the new EA of the gaming world.... More crap repackaged.....

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Finally someone understands that just because Nintendo sells more doesn't mean they have the best product or have won this generation.

I don't understand... when did video gaming became all about the money? I was so disgusted when Will Wright when he OPENLY admitted that he preferred better sales to having a better game, that guy just lost all my respect as a video game designer after the big huge flop Spore was.

9. det2004 macrumors 6502

If you can find one before Friday, I'd suggest you just pick it up. They're not likely to discount the price of the wii any on Black Friday. I figure at best, they might throw in one or two accessories free, but nothing you can't live without. Seeing how long this shortage has lasted, has made me glad I preordered mine when I had the chance.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

After an evening at a friends place playing through the 360's biggest co-op titles I pretty much think of the 360 as the same. The Wii has many similar titles as much as the 360 has bog-standard shooters*

*GoW1 and 2, Halo 3 and a little gutted feeling over Saints Row 2's co-op is Live only and feels too much like the first. Halo 1 was as perfect as ever mind.

11. det2004 macrumors 6502

I have a wii, and don't play it an awful lot, but I had to have it for the classic games like Zelda, Mario, and Metroid (I had a nintendo when I was a kid). Also the virtual console is nice, so I can download some of the old nes and snes games that I used to have, and play them on the wii without ever changing discs.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'll never sell my Wii. it has toooooo much potential and the games I have on it now I really like -- RE4 Wii alone is worth buying a system in my book. It's a Nintendo, so it has that Nintendo magic that my PC does not and that no other current gen console posses. Sorry, even billions from Microsoft can't buy Nintendo's mystical mojo.

And compared to UbiZoft, EA is a saint, but that's not saying much.

13. ecompuplus macrumors newbie

The wii is great but I dont see myself camping out in this cold. I've done it last year but never again. :(

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I see people buying them this week and there seems to be plenty.

I hear that the Wii Fit will be the tough one to find.

I don't know - I guess if you like to use your console as a fitness machine/monitor. I just use the sidewalks in the neighborhood or the track at the health club during the Winter... :)

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Most of the people buying out Wii Fit are the older folks. They flock to it. Of course it doesn't help that Nintendo only ships out 10 or so every other week to each store.

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I would actually like to get Wii Fit for the supporting games, so games like skate It. I hear its controls are difficult, but if you can get used to them, it's worth it.

17. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I see them everywhere I go now, but I'm sure they'll all go pretty fast over the Holidays.

Although keep in mind there are only about five games worth playing on it. :rolleyes:

Give me F-Zero already!!!! :mad:

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Nintendo will make sure they are all gone during the holidays.. They will call it a "shortage", they can't meet "demand", "get yours fast while the media makes it look better".... :rolleyes:

I see them all over too, if you were quick Amazon had them for a few hours this morning. Wii Fit was great for a little, then it all boiled down to what the whole system really is, a novelty item. So now it all collects dust and my PS3 gets all the playtime (When I'm not playing WoW).

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Oh how I couldn't agree more. I bought a Wii at the end of last year (actually, on December 31 to be exact :p), and I've barely used it. Have not finished a single game on it. I got a PS3 in April and a 360 just last Wednesday, and I use them all the time.

From my experience, I've noticed people seem to love the fact it has "motion sensors". If anything, that's one of my least favourite things about the console, and find it weak that it was the main thing Nintendo has been promoting about the console. I find it a huge pain in the ass to have to point the Wii remote at the screen to do anything, I love with the 360 and PS3 it's as easy as holding in a button and using the controls themselves to select things. Game developers have totally misjudged the use of the Wii remote in many games also, and it really makes games less enjoyable. Despite the fact I think The Simpsons Game sucks ass anyway, it made it all the more annoying when, one minute, you're controlling a character normally, then suddenly you're expect to start violently shaking the controller or pretend to throw it at the screen just to do anything useful. I'll take the button controls on the Dualshock 3 and 360 controllers, thanks.

If the motion sensor thing is what gets people, then maybe Sony should make Sixaxis the main point of promotion for the PS3 - exact same concept, it tells the console the direction in which the controller is moving. People complain about Sixaxis, but I honestly don't mind it. I much prefer using it to steer in GTA IV than having to hold the damn Wii remote vertically for a few minutes and almost breaking my wrists just to pass a half-thought out level in Super Mario Galaxy. :p

I've noticed that it's the people that DO NOT own a Wii that think it's the best thing ever, and this in part goes back to what I said about the motion sensors. Nintendo is marketing that gimmick to try and draw in the naive people that have had little to no experience with games. If people actually did their research, they'd realise that the 360 and the PS3 are vastly superior consoles in comparison. In contrast, it's the people that DO own a Wii that realise it is very boring with a mediocre selection of titles.

And then there's the games. Nintendo continues it's tradition of mainly offering games that "the whole family can enjoy", and it's this that makes me NOT want to buy them. In making a game appeal to a wider audience it is, ultimately, alienating a lot of people -- the more you "water down" a game, the more lame and easy it becomes just so what, they don't get letters from seven year olds and their parents complaining about violence in games on an "all ages" console? Even Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the one game I was eagerly anticipating on the Wii, let me down greatly. It may have been the fact I really was a kid when it came out, but I absolutely loved the original Super Smash Bros. For some reason The Subspace Emissary story in Brawl really annoyed me, after playing sandbox-style games like GTA IV a lot lately, to suddenly be thrown into a sidescroller really made me feel that Nintendo really is lagging in this generation, despite the immensely massive sales of their console.

In fact, in the future, there are NO Wii games that interest me in the slightest -- everything I want is on the PS3 and 360. This is why I'm selling my Wii and all of its games, 11 months after I originally purchased it, because in all I doubt I would have even gotten 72 hours of play time out of it in the entire time I owned it. I'm putting the money towards a PSP and a PS2, because the one and only thing I dislike about the PS3 here is it's lack of backwards compatibility.

My advice? If you're a hardcore gamer steer clear, both my partner and I both own Wii consoles, and we both regret it as neither of us use them very much. I'd only recommend it if you weren't seriously into games and didn't care about things like a competent controller/remote or the quality of the graphics.

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well for the "play with friends in front of TV" gameplay the wii is perfect (the only thing missing is a better Singstar clone )

if you want more fancy graphics, _movie like_ experiences and sports/racing games get a ps3 or 360

if you want fancy like graphics and/or more gameplay get yourself a PC and PC specific games because that's where the hardcore is in reality

if you like hardcore turned based games: get yourself a DS now, it gets more turned based strategy games than the PC got during the golden age of the 90ties

and for sandbox games: after playing Scarface on the Wii (which is a cheap port but still quite a good game) playing GTA 4 on the PS3 of a friend was a complete nightmare with it's rubbish controls

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've got to 100 stars on Mario and I didn't hurt my wrists :confused:

Oh right, so because the 360 and PS3 are "vastly superior" I guess the high ranking Wii exclusive titles are automatically disregarded? If I did my research I wouldn't be putting hundreds of hours into Brawl and Mario Kart, but a few hours on a HD game that doesn't hold my interest at all.
    And btw I do own a launch Wii and think it's the best thing ever :) I grew up on consoles and even by the Cube I was getting bored with how recycled and dull everything was becoming. Wii Sports and a few extra titles stop me converting full time to PC gaming... Which is always the "vastly superior" system.

A disposable mode on a 2D fighting game felt different to a sandbox 3D game. Stop the press! Different games entirely. And IMO I found GTA IV to be a shadow of GTA3.
    Besides Supspace was brilliant as a co-op, second fighter co-op next to Streets of Rage 2. Put way too many hours into that with my girlfriend :)
    Out of the 6 or so Wii games that I like, there are only 2 games on the PS3 and 360 that I like. Different tastes I suppose. But you won't go wrong with the PSP.

Eh, I'm seriously into games and I find the best combination is a high-end gaming PC and a Wii to experience it all. Don't make broad judgements on others :)

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

See Jimmi here lies the Wii's biggest problem, and you have inadvertantly highlighted it.

Even a complete and utter Nintendo freak (and lets not play games, that's what you are ((or at least were)) ) and you can only roster 6 games on the Wii....

That really does say it all to me.......

The biggest disappointment I have with the Wii is not the hardware, it's the lack of good games.

I could swear I had at least 30 + great gamecube titles by the same time in it's life-cycle as the wii is now. With the wii, the games are just MEH!!

I mean the TWO big Nintendo games to cover us for what 4-5 months (Winter - Spring) are Animal Crossing (which is a big disappointment and I love animal crossing games, but this is basically just the DS game, where's the innovation?) and Wii Music which is quite simply the worst kind of utter dire-tribe I've seen Nintendo create as first party title in a hell of a long time, and Nintendo are perfectly happy churning out this level of crapdom is worrying, just as much as a couple of years ago we were all dissing EA for doing the same thing.....

Yeah and with only 6 titles... just not Wii games..... ;)

Oh and on a side note, seriously what the hell happened to both you and Jack Axe, you were both avid Nintendo boy's and I remember the huge threads that used to ensue. Yet both of you have suddenly become 'real gamers' because now you game on PC ??? Seriously you two, do you not think the lack of anything really amazing from Nintendo since the wii launched in the last few years hasn't helped contribute to your PC addictions. I also find it hysterically funny that both of you are now utter graphics whores on your PC's when again I can recall many a long winded thread about how it's about the gameplay and not the graphics.... Lads you both have changed which is perfectly fine, but please don't try to forget your past's and then diss others for things you 'once' believed in yourselves....

23. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Basically what it comes down to is exactly what you said -- different tastes with games. I personally found Brawl to be boring after a couple hours, and my comment on Super Mario Galaxy was sarcasm, I just don't like the way the motion controls were implemented (except for flicking the remote to move between launch stars, that was rather cool).

:)

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well gameplay wise PCs simply rule supreme in variety and halfway into this console cycle i realized this yet again (the last game i bought for the wii was guitar hero world tour and before that guitar hero 3 last christmas so don't talk to me about lack of games .. i borrowed games from my sister and brother though .. wii fit actually is entertaining to my suprise)

i never stopped playing games on my PC (i only have a gt6600 which is way on it's last legs) and switched more over to budget games through the years and yet those 2 year old games are still superior gameplay wise

i hoped the wii will bring more strategy to the consoles and it didn't ... and simulations ? all the graphics power on the HD consoles and still now mouse keyboard control or support for USB flightsticks + corresponding games
    where is the great selection of games on ps3 and 360 and wii where you don't blow up stuff ? (or sports/racing) ... seriously we lack choice on all consoles ...

(the best console to own right now is without a doubt the DS ... so many games so little time)

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When I say which games I 'like', they're the titles that I'll be playing time and time again. I can name about 5 or so on the GC that I give the same praise to, probably 5 on PS1, 8 on GBA. I play a lot but I just don't like a lot, you know I'm very picky ;) whereas I can only name 2 on PS3 and 2 on 360... But we're still only 2-3 years in respectively in these consoles lives.

And I'm not a graphics whore at all :) Infact I tone down all my PC games graphics so I get a smooth frame rate, playing TF2 with everything on low (though in 1680x1050) so even during heavy moments I don't drop under 30fps. Graphics aren't the reason I like PC gaming... The cost, convenience, modability, the flexibility in control methods and free (and decent) online play are why I go for PC.