Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blakey.

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Mario Run didn't meet expectations because the game is bad!

I lost interest in the first level!

I would gladly pay 10 dollar for a Super Mario World port!

Nintendo has to understand that their power lies with the classics. That is where the big money cow is.

They do understand that. And they want you to buy the Switch to experience it. People need to pay up if they want the full experience of a game. It’s not coming to the iPhone.

Reactions: lunarworks

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
As long as they allow a local version of the game to be played without an active internet connection, then count me in. Not being able to play a game on a plane journey or train ride through the country is just now acceptable these days.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Without hard buttons this is a non-starter for me. Every implementation of virtual controls or 'tilt-to-steer' mechanics on iOS devices has been simply awful, IMHO. iOS devices simply aren't and will never be 'Gameboy' like gaming systems.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Without hard buttons this is a non-starter for me. Every implementation of virtual controls or 'tilt-to-steer' mechanics on iOS devices has been simply awful, IMHO. iOS devices simply aren't and will never be 'Gameboy' like gaming systems.

I really enjoy playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with tilt steering. I don't see why it couldn't work on iOS, too.

The biggest potential issue is all the other physical buttons... need buttons for items and drifting and braking and stuff.

Reactions: DynaFXD

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
Looks like mobile games are replacing some of the types of smaller games Nintendo would release on their handhelds. I think this is what allows them to go higher end with a portable.

Nintendo also seems to do better when people are constantly reminded that they exist. They are vaguely familiar to so many, since they go back to the beginnings of gaming, but I think they drop out of awareness pretty fast.

I don't game on my phone, but I like Nintendo games. I do keep Mario run on my phone and enjoy it for a quick nostalgia boost. But it's annoying that it needs an online requirement, and I play it so infrequently that it needs an update whenever I try to play.

til1p

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Hopefully this won’t canibalize Switch sales. It’s a while out, but still, gotta keep something sacred.

Keeping something sacred will cause them to go stagnant. They need to make their hardware optional. Right now, the only reason to buy it is because its the only place you can play their games; but, their hardware isn't anywhere close to Apple-s quality. I hope they release all of their games on other platforms, which would give them a huge boost in revenue and make sure they keep developing new titles for many years to come. Switch is okay, but not as convenient as an iPhone.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Keeping something sacred will cause them to go stagnant. They need to make their hardware optional. Right now, the only reason to buy it is because its the only place you can play their games; but, their hardware isn't anywhere close to Apple-s quality. I hope they release all of their games on other platforms, which would give them a huge boost in revenue and make sure they keep developing new titles for many years to come. Switch is okay, but not as convenient as an iPhone.
Going third party worked great for Sega... :rolleyes:

Reactions: redneckitengineer

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016

As much as it may not seem like it, Nintendo is a hardware company just as much software. And they do make quality hardware, they focus on a rugged practicality instead of really high end consumer products. There's the gameboy that survived an explosion. The Switch survived a drop from 1000ft. The Switch joy-con controllers are very versatile and are quite ingenious in adding controls to basically a tablet design.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Sounds awesome! I hope they can code around the iPhone updates that are causing the ridiculously sluggish performance. Because I would want a kart that’s faster than typing on my laggyazz keyboard. (Two week old iPhone 6 running current iOS).

3 year old phone. Doesn't matter when you buy it. It's old.
[doublepost=1517500921][/doublepost]
Dear Nintendo,

Please... just release the damn games. SMB and MarioKart proper. Then we'll care about your other stuff.

-GXers

Solid content.

Switch is moving along to be the best selling console ever.

They don't need you caring about them.

saile

Suspended
Feb 18, 2017
Nice risk taking by Nintendo, between the Switch and its its success games on smartphones, the announcement of its cardboard toys, it proves once again that it is a great company far from the plans of Sony or Microsoft in the same field, but I remain cautious about the usefulness of a film adaptation of Mario and his friends!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appvalley AC Market Tweakbox

Last edited:

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006

I find my Switch to be pretty close to Apple quality. It's a very well-made device. Never had a problem with Nintendo hardware durability.

As for releasing games on other platforms? Never going to happen. They'd rather go out of business first. Note that their mobile games seem specifically designed to get you hooked and buy the full console or 3DS game. The only reason they went mobile in the first place is because they felt they could use it to entice more customers to buy their hardware.

People have been saying Nintendo needed to go 3rd-party only for years. The Switch just sold 15 million in 10 months. It's the fastest selling console of all time. Profit is up 30% from last years at this quarter, and operating income jumped a staggering 496%. They have no debt and a mountain of cash. Nintendo seems to be doing just fine.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Mario Run didn't meet expectations because the game is bad!

I lost interest in the first level!

I would gladly pay 10 dollar for a Super Mario World port!

Nintendo has to understand that their power lies with the classics. That is where the big money cow is.

LOL, people like you need to stop hoping to see full Nintendo games on other platforms. Nintendo wants to sell their hardware. They won't be going third party anytime soon. If you want to play a full Zelda or Mario game, buy their hardware.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hopefully this won’t canibalize Switch sales. It’s a while out, but still, gotta keep something sacred.
I’m sure Nintendo will do everything and anything to protect their bread and butter. No worries there. This ‘Mario Kart Tour’ is just some smart brand promotion/advertising by Nintendo. They’re the Apple of the gaming world.

mattan_lines

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
The next major announcement for this game is that you can race the first 3 races, after that it´s $15 for the complete game and a family member for each race.

jon81uk

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
London, UK
Super Mario Run would have been much better as proper upfront payment with offline play. I don’t want to pay £9.99 for something i can only access when I am on data service.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I can't imagine a Mario Kart game being fun to play with touch screen buttons, so I'll probably be passing on this one.

jayen-aitch

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
What we really need is Zelda for iphone... I feel this doubly strongly after that Stranger Things game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.