Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Nintendo's 'Mario Kart Tour' Mobile Game Now Supports Landscape Mode

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nintendo's "Mario Kart Tour" racing game for iOS and Android devices will now support landscape mode (via TouchArcade). Since the game launched in 2019 it has only supported portrait mode, mainly due to Nintendo's idea that its mobile games should be played one-handed.

That will change in an update coming this week, and players will have an option to turn their smartphone sideways and play the game in landscape orientation. Nintendo shared the news in a video on YouTube, stating that the update should start rolling out on July 21.

"Mario Kart Tour" is one of the last major titles to come out of Nintendo's mobile gaming enterprise. According to a report from Bloomberg last month, Nintendo is now "retreating" from its push into mobile gaming, with plans slow down the launch of new titles while still supporting existing games.

Article Link: Nintendo's 'Mario Kart Tour' Mobile Game Now Supports Landscape Mode

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
Thanks to this warning message, this "game" (more rightly described as a dopamine hacking Skinner box) instantly went on my skip list:

Comment

gaximus

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2011
I know its a beta, but I would still love if they would fix the crashing on iOS 14, can't even start the game.

Comment

iStorm

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks to this warning message, this "game" (more rightly described as a dopamine hacking Skinner box) instantly went on my skip list:

You know, you don't need to buy anything to play the game... Yes, the IAP pricing is atrocious, but you can get by without them. I have been playing for a few months and haven't paid a cent. Sure, maybe I am not getting 1st place towards the end of the tour since I don't have the special items, but so what? By the time I do get stuck, a new tour is right around the corner and I can move along again.

Comment

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
now make super Mario landscape with real controls and I’ll be happy

Came here to say this. Super Mario Run was really just a gimmick. Maybe a lot of people like one handed games for the subway, etc, but at least give us the option to play 2 handed and collect all the coins, etc.

Comment

Pow!

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
Retreating from the mobile market without even releasing one real game?

Kart, Dr. and Run are all pure crap, needing to check in with their license server every few seconds.

Nintendo, get lost if you’re not going to actually put any effort in.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kram Sacul
Comment

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mario run was amazing.

I loved MK Tour for about 2 months then i got over it. This might make me come back

You can get really far and have lots of fun without paying anything

Comment

Stars&Stripes

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
NYC
[automerge]1595276676[/automerge]
If they are in stock and not all rounded up by scalpers... :(

I know and it sucks... also as much as I'd like for Nintendo to release a full, proper game on mobile, their main console is now also handheld. I don't think making those would make much sense to them, they want people hooked up on their phone games to transition to the actual system.

Reactions: B4U
Comment

B4U

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I know and it sucks... also as much as I'd like for Nintendo to release a full, proper game on mobile, their main console is now also handheld. I don't think making those would make much sense to them, they want people hooked up on their phone games to transition to the actual system.
(Well, I can bring a personal mobile phone to work, but it is much harder to justify bringing a switch to work. Just sayin'...) 🤣

Comment

gaximus

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2011
If the app does not say it supports iOS 14, what and how do they fix it?

Run the there app on a beta version of iOS 14, look at the logs to see what caused the crash and fix it (Which they did, its fixed now)

Comment

gaximus

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2011
There is no reason for them to release the fix to the public given that iOS 14 is still in beta.

Thats true, but a lot of time a crash like this is because they are using an API that is deprecated in a previous version (iOS13), and support is completely dropped for it in the next version(iOS 14). So by fixing it and getting it out to the public they are just ahead of the game. Then when iOS 14 is officially released they won't have to worry about getting it through the review process. This way there aren't millions of people updating to iOS14 only to have their apps not working.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.