Nintendo's Next Two Mobile Games to Adopt Free-to-Play Model

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 11, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the announcement that Nintendo's next two mobile gaming apps will center around the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem franchises, DeNA Chief Executive Isao Moriyasu today mentioned to The Wall Street Journal that both games will be "free-to-start apps," which a Nintendo spokeswoman has now confirmed. DeNA is the Tokyo-based mobile gaming studio assisting with the creation of Nintendo's five smartphone titles, still on a planned trajectory for launch before March 2017.

[​IMG]

When Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem were announced for iPhone and Android last month, neither company confirmed the payment strategy the games would adopt for mobile platforms. Nintendo and DeNA's first game, Miitomo, rolled out with a similar free-to-play model where users could end up spending more money in-game on various outfits for their virtual Mii avatar. Although its popularity in the field died down somewhat after initial launch excitement, Nintendo confirmed Miitomo was downloaded and played by over 10 million users worldwide since its debut.

In the original announcement, Nintendo said that Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing were both "pure game applications," especially in comparison to Miitomo's more socially-driven atmosphere. What's still unclear is how Nintendo plans to implement in-app purchases within each game, although it seems that the free-to-play model is a continuation of the company's hope to build up a user base consisting of a wide demographic of players, instead of a purely hardcore one who would be willing to pay outright for each title.

In earlier announcements centering around Miitomo's freemium model, Nintendo mentioned that future games would be pay-to-download, so there's still a chance that the remaining games created between the company and DeNA could be more traditionally priced apps. The rollout plan was already pushed back when Miitomo missed its 2015 launch, but if the company stays on track now, there should still be two more Nintendo apps hitting iOS and Android sometime between this fall and March of next year.

Article Link: Nintendo's Next Two Mobile Games to Adopt Free-to-Play Model

2. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

3. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Free to play, then charge for inapp stuff.
    Really common these days for games.

4. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I'm waiting patiently for Super Mario!
    Not a fan of in-app purchases, it's a tacky business model.

5. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

And that is how you ruin an awesome series like Fire Emblem. Can't wait to pay to unlock the next chapter of my playthrough :rolleyes:

I'd rather pay the full $39 like I would on the 3DS and get the game complete, forever.

6. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I agree it is tacky. Unfortunately, it's the only model where game developers consistently make money.

7. ike1707 macrumors 6502

ike1707

Srsly. wtf is up with that.

8. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I wonder if this is because customers can't try apps? Maybe future iOS could manage customers to try apps for a short period and then allow a purchase after the trial ends.

9. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Playing a genre of game that requires buttons sucks on a platform (pun not intended) with no buttons.

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing make perfect sense because they don't require that sort of input.

10. Bill Av macrumors regular

I'd like a port of the original Donkey Kong. I'd probably only play it for a few minutes - until I saw all three levels, but I'd like it anyway. I'd probably pay up to $2.99 for it.

11. ike1707 macrumors 6502

ike1707

--- Post Merged, May 11, 2016 ---
    All of two buttons and a D pad sort of make that a moot point unless you don't have thumbs- they already sell grand theft auto 3 in the app store

PLUS they make game pads for these sorts of apps anyway.

12. H2SO4 macrumors 601

I disagree. I don’t see it as any different from having a movie package where you only get certain bits or speccing a car where you only get what you want at the time, or even paying for an all you can eat meal where certain drinks aren’t included.

13. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Not even Nintendo could resist the allure of F2P+intense monetisation.

14. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

No way! Give me the whole package, I'll pay the correct price, and our transaction is simply done until next time.

15. aneftp macrumors 601

Stop drinking the kool aid.

If this were the case. Why haven't console games gone the in app purchase route (sure they have add on packs). But the full game is a one time purchase. You can download full Xbox and ps games for years now.

The money is gonna to be the same for game developers. People will pay if it's a good game instead of being nickel and dimed with in app.

16. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Oh that should certainly be a possibility, but the option to play stripped down I think is still a good one. So you have for example;
    • Get the freemium and add five levels at $1 each.
    • Get the full version up front for $3.99

17. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

-mium is Latin for not really.

Depending on how they implement it, this could be fine.

If it's like, play the game for free for an hour, then pay $10-20 for the rest of the 10-20 hours of gameplay, I'd be okay with that. I'd see the free portion as a demo or trial to make sure the mechanics are actually fun before you pay up for the full game.

If it's pay us $1 every hour, or there's random item drops, but you have to pay real money for them to not be worthless, or anything like that... screw that. I hate microtransactions. I want to buy something of substance, and I'm willing to pay a decent amount to get that.

18. H2SO4 macrumors 601

What on earth are you on about, how is an add on pack any different? Same difference, you’re not getting all the trimmings unless you add more dough.

19. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

That already exists. It's what existed before in-app purchases were even a thing, free version and paid version. And now with in-app purchases, it's the free apps that have a paid unlock for all the content.

People confuses consumable in-app purchases like coins with content in-app purchases like content packs. If you like buying games outright to own forever, there is no logical reason to dis like the latter form of in-app purchases.

20. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

That's not entirely accurate I believe. Some apps don't offer free versions and are just paid only. I'd like to try those paid apps and have iOS manage that aspect of the trial and purchase if I choose. Maybe I can try it for a day, then iOS prevents further use until I purchase it after the trial concludes.

21. aneftp macrumors 601

Console games nba 2k16 or console madden 16 doesn't stop in the middle of the game asking me for more money unlike real racing 3 racing game. Or piano tiles for kids or whatever kiddie games on iOS

22. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Freemium is a portmanteau of two English words: "free" + "premium."

Premium is from the Latin "praemium" a verb relating to obtaining things. Mium is a word, not a suffix. It's a cool coincidence that mium means "not really" but it's not related to freemium

23. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

There's nothing wrong when developers charge for more content. Freemium, however, is charging for virtual gas.

24. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

My point is that what you're asking for exists; the system for that exists. It's not Apple's fault if the company making game X elects not to utilize it and instead offers only a paid version with no free or trial option. That's entirely the fault/decision of the maker of the specific game.

25. Skika macrumors 68030

Pay to win