Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nintendo today released version 2.0 of Super Mario Run, its popular Mario-themed platform game for iOS devices. Today's update adds a host of new features, including new playable characters, an easy mode, additional free content, and more.

Starting today, players can get different colored Yoshis in Super Mario Run. Using a Yoshi of a particular color to play Toad Rally will result in more Toads of that color when a rally is won.

supermariorunupdate-800x709.jpg

For customers who have not purchased the full Super Mario Run game, Nintendo is adding more free content, in the form of Bowser's Challenges. Completing one of Bowser's challenges will unlock the previous locked 1-4 course. Clearing 1-4 will then unlock new courses to play in Toad Rally, new Toad colors, and new Shop buildings.

For tough challenges and for players who aren't as skilled, an Easy Mode has been added to the game that can be selected when using World Tour mode. This will make the basic Mario levels easier to complete.

Nintendo has also made adjustments to the tutorial to make it easier to understand special actions, pink coins, and more, and there have also been tweaks to the number of Rally Tickets received from the ? Block and it's now easier to get some of the buildings in the shop.

For Toad Rally, the appearance rates of various Toads have been adjusted, making it easier to get Toads to purchase buildings.

In the future, Nintendo also plans to add additional buildings that will be unlocked by an event.

Super Mario Run can be downloaded from the App Store for free, but it will cost $9.99 to unlock the full game. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Nintendo's 'Super Mario Run' for iOS Updated With New Characters, Easy Mode and More Free Content

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Very underwhelming upgrade. I was hoping for (1) at least another level or two, (2) bigger world to place more buildings and decorations, and (3) offline play (does not count toward progress and cannot collect inventory).

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Very underwhelming upgrade. I was hoping for (1) at least another level or two, (2) bigger world to place more buildings and decorations, and (3) offline play (does not count toward progress and cannot collect inventory).

they said there is not going to be a level update like ever

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
an Easy Mode has been added to the game

I know a four-year-old who completed this game. I don't think an "easy mode" is needed.

One thing they should really do is an offline mode.

This, on the other hand, would be a genuinely useful "feature" (feature in quotes because it's not a feature at all but just something one expects from a side-scrolling game).

That being said, it is a fun a game.

Baumi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
I know a four-year-old who completed this game. I don't think an "easy mode" is needed.

Yeah, I don't get how anyone can find it all that difficult. It's nice that there's a little learning curve - not so much that it'd be frustrating but enough to make it seem more meaningful when you mastered something - but it really doesn't take all that much skill or time commitment to get reasonably good at the game.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

This, on the other hand, would be a genuinely useful "feature" (feature in quotes because it's not a feature at all but just something one expects from a side-scrolling game).

That being said, it is a fun a game.

Yeah, I don't get how anyone can find it all that difficult. It's nice that there's a little learning curve - not so much that it'd be frustrating but enough to make it seem more meaningful when you mastered something - but it really doesn't take all that much skill or time commitment to get reasonably good at the game.
It sounds like whether or not it can be beaten fairly easily, having a mode where you have to worry about even less and just sort of have continuous play for fun and just to fool around or something like that isn't exactly a bad idea.

Reactions: Baumi

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
It's also on Android. If that means anything.
[doublepost=1490224624][/doublepost]
It sounds like whether or not it can be beaten fairly easily, having a mode where you have to worry about even less and just sort of have continuous play for fun and just to fool around or something like that isn't exactly a bad idea.

Unless it's a white tanooki suit.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I wish they wouldn't make it nigh impossible to unlock Luigi without playing hours and hours of Toad Rally. I prefer single player and have to grind in Toad Rally to get enough greens to get Luigi's house. Ridiculous.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Toads, mentioned 7 times in article, are those mushroom dudes, not the slippery animal right?

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
9999 to get the red Yoshi and 2000 yellow toads as well. Yeesh! I have them all except the red Yoshi and I'm done.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Um. My 3 1/2 year old cleared this game, so yes, an easy mode may be nice for some, but not needed for all.
Which is why like many other things it's simply an optional setting that is available.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Could be such a cool app had it not been for the greedy implementation of always online. As I commute on the tube, it's useless for me

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Um. My 3 1/2 year old cleared this game, so yes, an easy mode may be nice for some, but not needed for all.

Do you mean 'got through all the levels' (which is easy) or 'got through all the levels COMPLETELY with all the yellow/pink/black coins'? (which is hard).

I think it's the former.

Wawajey

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Life is so tough.
I wish they wouldn't make it nigh impossible to unlock Luigi without playing hours and hours of Toad Rally. I prefer single player and have to grind in Toad Rally to get enough greens to get Luigi's house. Ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.