Nintendo's 'Super Mario Run' for iOS Updated With New Characters, Easy Mode and More Free Content

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nintendo today released version 2.0 of Super Mario Run, its popular Mario-themed platform game for iOS devices. Today's update adds a host of new features, including new playable characters, an easy mode, additional free content, and more.

Starting today, players can get different colored Yoshis in Super Mario Run. Using a Yoshi of a particular color to play Toad Rally will result in more Toads of that color when a rally is won.

[​IMG]

For customers who have not purchased the full Super Mario Run game, Nintendo is adding more free content, in the form of Bowser's Challenges. Completing one of Bowser's challenges will unlock the previous locked 1-4 course. Clearing 1-4 will then unlock new courses to play in Toad Rally, new Toad colors, and new Shop buildings.

For tough challenges and for players who aren't as skilled, an Easy Mode has been added to the game that can be selected when using World Tour mode. This will make the basic Mario levels easier to complete.

Nintendo has also made adjustments to the tutorial to make it easier to understand special actions, pink coins, and more, and there have also been tweaks to the number of Rally Tickets received from the ? Block and it's now easier to get some of the buildings in the shop.

For Toad Rally, the appearance rates of various Toads have been adjusted, making it easier to get Toads to purchase buildings.

In the future, Nintendo also plans to add additional buildings that will be unlocked by an event.

Super Mario Run can be downloaded from the App Store for free, but it will cost $9.99 to unlock the full game. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Nintendo's 'Super Mario Run' for iOS Updated With New Characters, Easy Mode and More Free Content

2. schrodinger_cat macrumors newbie

schrodinger_cat

One thing they should really do is an offline mode.

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

Very underwhelming upgrade. I was hoping for (1) at least another level or two, (2) bigger world to place more buildings and decorations, and (3) offline play (does not count toward progress and cannot collect inventory).

4. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

they said there is not going to be a level update like ever

5. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

I know a four-year-old who completed this game. I don't think an "easy mode" is needed.

This, on the other hand, would be a genuinely useful "feature" (feature in quotes because it's not a feature at all but just something one expects from a side-scrolling game).

That being said, it is a fun a game.

6. Baumi macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't get how anyone can find it all that difficult. It's nice that there's a little learning curve - not so much that it'd be frustrating but enough to make it seem more meaningful when you mastered something - but it really doesn't take all that much skill or time commitment to get reasonably good at the game.

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It sounds like whether or not it can be beaten fairly easily, having a mode where you have to worry about even less and just sort of have continuous play for fun and just to fool around or something like that isn't exactly a bad idea.

8. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

It's also on Android. If that means anything.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2017 ---
    Unless it's a white tanooki suit.

9. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Easy mode has been around for months they just made it easier to find.

10. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

11. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I wish they wouldn't make it nigh impossible to unlock Luigi without playing hours and hours of Toad Rally. I prefer single player and have to grind in Toad Rally to get enough greens to get Luigi's house. Ridiculous.

12. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Toads, mentioned 7 times in article, are those mushroom dudes, not the slippery animal right?

13. DjStiky macrumors member

Will never download or purchase this game unless offline mode becomes reality.

14. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Doubtful. Some of those black coins are downright devious and the black pipe stage is nasty.

15. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

9999 to get the red Yoshi and 2000 yellow toads as well. Yeesh! I have them all except the red Yoshi and I'm done.

16. legs88 macrumors newbie

Um. My 3 1/2 year old cleared this game, so yes, an easy mode may be nice for some, but not needed for all.

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Which is why like many other things it's simply an optional setting that is available.

18. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Fascinating. Those last few black coin challenges are a real pain. Congratulations to your 3 and a half year old.

19. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Could be such a cool app had it not been for the greedy implementation of always online. As I commute on the tube, it's useless for me

20. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

That's right - I think those are hats though.

21. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Do you mean 'got through all the levels' (which is easy) or 'got through all the levels COMPLETELY with all the yellow/pink/black coins'? (which is hard).

I think it's the former.

22. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

No new levels ever? Ughhhhh come onnnn. All I wanted out of this was an ever-expanding list of levels. I don't even look at the Rally or Building screens lol.

23. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

Luigi is still the most over-powered character...

24. Wawajey macrumors member

Life is so tough.

25. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

You expected to pay once and get new content forever?