Niqqud in iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Silofolous, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Silofolous macrumors member

I love being able to use multiple keyboards in iOS, being able to write in Hebrew is nice. But sadly I can't use it much because when I write in Hebrew I use the niqqud, or the vowel markings.

For example:
    I want to write this: בְּרֵשִׁ'ת
    But since there are no niqqud, I can only write this:ברש'ת

In some other languages (like the accents in Greek) by holding a letter it will give the option of different things like accents to put on the letter. Can someone with iOS 5 beta tell me if they have added the niqqud to the Hebrew keyboard? Thank you.

2. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

why would you want vowel markings? it's pretty clear it's beresheet anyways :)

I'm sorry but I just checked and there are no vowel markings anywhere in ios5 as far as I can see..

3. Silofolous thread starter macrumors member

I'm studying Biblical Hebrew, and vowel markings help both for pronunciation purposes, and for study purposes (if I learn it without the niqqud, I'll just need to learn it again with it when translating the Masoretic text of the Old Testament).

And yes, it is pretty clear that it is beresheet, but who knows when someone comes up to and asks if it is שבלת or שבלת? lol

But thanks for finding out for me.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You can normally tell by the context it is used in the sentence.

5. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

yep but I agree that it's useful for learning processes.
    I remember when I tried to use the vowel markings in my mac.. it was quite complex and prone to errors.. I guess Apple doesn't want to overcomplicate hebrew text input.

6. Silofolous thread starter macrumors member

Actually they made it a LOT easier in Lion. Now they have a QWERTY version of Hebrew, and essentially you press option and then the vowel and it'll pop up. I love it lol, now maybe I cam actually get used to typing in Hebrew like I am in Greek.

7. skarje, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

skarje macrumors newbie

I dont know hebrew, but from what i can tell from playing with the keyboard, it's still the same in iOS 5 beta 7 and you cant type those