Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
So far I've noticed Flipboard is MUCH snappier after installing Nitrous. AlienBlue and Reeder have also been quicker for me.

I'm going to test Hulu+ and Netflix while I'm on the treadmill at the gym in a bit. I hope it improves the buffering even though the reception at my gym is mediocre.

bushbabywas

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
which apps?

what's the easiest way to tell which apps use javascript? so we know which ones to enable Nitrous for. Apart from Chrome and Facebook, those with in-app browsers like Reeder, Instapaper, Tweetbot. Gmail as well presumably?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I know I already posted my recommendation for both Nitrous and TCP Optimizer but I do want to say that I have read reports that for some users, TCP Optimizer either slowed down their internet speed or worse, prevented YouTube from working at all. A simple uninstall of TCP Optimizer fixed this problem. I had to power down then power up my phone for the tweak to work. Just pointing that out.

I can firmly say though that both tweaks combined have greatly sped up my Internet connection and improved my overall experience a ton. In fact, my co-workers and I compared phones today on our works' wi-fi network. It was my 4S vs a stock 4S vs a HTC Thunderbolt vs Samsung Galaxy S2. And my jailbroken 4S with these two tweaks installed consistently loaded YouTube videos (via ProTube), embedded YouTube videos, and random websites faster than each of their phones. Sometimes one of their phones loaded a page first. But more times than not mine finished first. Needless to say, my coworkers' stock 4S will be jailbroken tonight haha.

linkboy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
Just installed it a few minutes ago.

Nitrous+Browser Chooser pretty much makes Safari useless on the iPhone.

Totally love this tweak. Well worth the .99.

P51

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
How much difference does this make on normal sites like this one? Dont even see it on cydia anymore.

Last edited:

Asator

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2011
Australia
Where can we locate TCP Optimizer?

From Redmond Pie:
In order to install this tweak, you need to add the http://cydia.pushfix.info/ repository to Cydia, or any other compatible package manager. After refreshing your sources, you should see “TCP Optimizer” on the package listings. The tweak should take effect right away, without a restart, and enable you to watch YouTube videos at decent speeds.

jpbl1976

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Anyone else recommend this TCP Optimizer?

I don't. My connection became laggy after this was installed. I think it really depends on you -- the author himself states that it worked for HIM so he's not giving any guarantees.

Still, it's a worthwhile tweak for those whom it works for. Plus, it's free so you can't beat the price.

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I do recommend this both tweaks,

after update, Nitrous is no longer causing safe mode, and the performance gain is good, especially in chrome.. and bleacher report team stream in my case...

facebook is sucks from beginning so i can't say much and not even bother to really compare the performance before n after

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I know I already posted my recommendation for both Nitrous and TCP Optimizer but I do want to say that I have read reports that for some users, TCP Optimizer either slowed down their internet speed or worse, prevented YouTube from working at all. A simple uninstall of TCP Optimizer fixed this problem. I had to power down then power up my phone for the tweak to work. Just pointing that out.

I can firmly say though that both tweaks combined have greatly sped up my Internet connection and improved my overall experience a ton. In fact, my co-workers and I compared phones today on our works' wi-fi network. It was my 4S vs a stock 4S vs a HTC Thunderbolt vs Samsung Galaxy S2. And my jailbroken 4S with these two tweaks installed consistently loaded YouTube videos (via ProTube), embedded YouTube videos, and random websites faster than each of their phones. Sometimes one of their phones loaded a page first. But more times than not mine finished first. Needless to say, my coworkers' stock 4S will be jailbroken tonight haha.

Have you done a speedtest to see if this tweak made any difference? I installed it and my speed was stupid slow o_O

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Have you done a speedtest to see if this tweak made any difference? I installed it and my speed was stupid slow o_O

I used the Ookla app SpeedTest from the App Store and the speeds were about the same for download and upload, with ping being noticeably better with TCP Optimizer. Websites and videos definitely load faster with the tweak than without it. Keep in mind it's not going to dramatically increase your download and upload speeds. If it added several MBs to the overall wi-fi speed, Apple would have designed the phone to do this from the get go. It's effects are similar to how Notrous works. Real world use it's negliable but in my opinion any added benefit I can get without hampering my experience, then I'm cool with that.

I'm not sure why you had slower speeds though. I have read reports from people saying their speeds got slower because of this tweak.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Finally after the update took the plunge and definitely the results are good when it comes to benchmarks.. As you can see in the snaps the effects are obvious. But don't see much of a difference in real scenario usage.. Have attached photos showing sunspider results.. Also the browsermark results.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343836293.702024.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343836304.759508.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343836213.941331.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343836226.070840.jpg

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Finally after the update took the plunge and definitely the results are good when it comes to benchmarks.. As you can see in the snaps the effects are obvious. But don't see much of a difference in real scenario usage.. Have attached photos showing sunspider results.. Also the browsermark results.. View attachment 351007 View attachment 351008 View attachment 351005 View attachment 351006

I didn't know about that first site rightware. Pretty cool. I just ran the test and scored 76463. But like you said, you don't see too much difference in real world usage.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Finally after the update took the plunge and definitely the results are good when it comes to benchmarks.. As you can see in the snaps the effects are obvious. But don't see much of a difference in real scenario usage.. Have attached photos showing sunspider results.. Also the browsermark results.. View attachment 351007 View attachment 351008 View attachment 351005 View attachment 351006

Are you on a 4 or 4S? Because on my 4S Google Chrome is just a fast as Safari now. I'll post screenshots of my results later on today when I get home from work.

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Alien blue is a lot better with this fix,and I'm starting to notice face book being better too...I'd buy it just for chome! The others are just the icing on top

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
well I just bit the bullet for .99 no crashing 5.1.1 4S so far any way. I'm not going to say much about the speed yet till I play more.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
I think the differences are more noticeable on a 4s rather than a 4. On my 4, safari still feels snappier (even though the benchmarks show chrome slightly edging out safari).

One interesting note, Tweetbot is noticeably faster–especially when viewing photos.

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010

Nitrous and TCP Optimizer are not for increasing your download or upload speed, it optimize how your device utilize the speed they got,

testing it using speedtest won't show you significant improvement as the maximum speed of the internet itself is not change

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Nitrous and TCP Optimizer are not for increasing your download or upload speed, it optimize how your device utilize the speed they got,

testing it using speedtest won't show you significant improvement as the maximum speed of the internet itself is not change

This is my understanding as well. With TCP Optimizer, it allows for more "out of order" or "missing" packets to be received by the iPhone. Normally what happens, since wi-fi is more unreliable than wired, the phone allows YouTube to continually send packets even though some might get lost along the way. The phone re-requests any lost packets so it can continue streaming the video. But the phone can only "buffer" so many extra packets at one time because it's still receiving all the other packets that are coming in order from the server. This tweak theoretically increases that buffer limit. Since the phone recognizes packets are getting lost it needs to stop accepting new packets while it asks the server again for the already missing packets. Therefore with this tweak installed, it increases the threshold for the number of unaccounted for packets which basically allows YouTube (or other websites) to continue sending packets while the "backlog" of missing packets grows. The phone will sort out the confusion on the fly by asking the server to keep sending new packets while simultaneously asking the server to resend the missing packets. The phone keeps receiving all of these packets and it processes and organizes everything as fast as it can which, in the case of youtube, results in a video! This in a nutshell is how the TCP Protocol works. UDP is the opposite. UDP allows a server to send packets in bunches and they may or may not ever reach the client.

This is why Otosan said it will not increase your download and upload speeds. The results from a speed test reflects the completed transactions of packets. It does not account for the "buffer" of missing packets. This is why it won't show up on a speed test but you'll notice YouTube videos load much better. The phone will continue asking the server to resend packets while the video plays. All of this is unnecessary on a fast network with little traffic but is somewhat helpful on a slow, congested network because of the high probability of packet loss. Toe this is all theoretical and assumed. I am not aware of any real world test that could quantify this tweaks performance. Many people have claimed this tweak slowed down their phone. I'm gonna play around with it for some time and see if I can determine definitely that it helps or hurts my iphone's wi-fi performance.

I hope this helps clarify the tcp optimizer tweak. And if I'm wrong with anything please point it out. I'm still learning and love knowing when I'm wrong. It's easier for me to remember stuff when people point out my errors! But this is how it was explained to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.