NJ/NY MR Guys: Help look out for a Stolen car!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waynesun, Apr 5, 2008.

1. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

My brother's car was stolen tonight.. he parked at Menlo Park mall and went inside for a little white, only to find his car gone!

This is extremely devastating to him, as he had worked to the bone for his car..

I'm his younger brother, and it's extremely unusual for me to see him this devastated..

It is a 2005 Acura RSX Type-S
    The color is white

It has no front license plate, but the rear license plate reads "SRN46X". It has no clear exterior modifications, other than a "Type-S" emblem on the right side of the front grille.

It has a rear license plate holder - "Hondata". It has a Rutgers parking tag on the driver's side window, more towards the rear window.

[​IMG]

Please be on the lookout... this car meant so much to him.

Thanks..

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Jersey. 80% chance it's already chopped or on a container ship to Europe.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Probably being parted out as we speak.

I know two people that have had their Acura cars stolen. One was an Integra and one was a TL.

The Integra was my secretary's car. She went to the mall, came back out, and it was gone. The police recovered it 3 days later and basically the only thing left was the frame. Engine, tranny, interior, wheels, parts of the exterior- all taken off.

The TL was my neighbors car. She went to a show at the Hartford Bushnell and had to park on the street because the parking lot was full. After the show she came out and her car was gone, never to be seen again, probably being parted out.

People like stealing the acura's engines because they can put them in their ricer Hondas.

Here's a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ9_85d0Mhk

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I know what it's like to have your car messed with. Given, mine was not stolen just broken into and the radio taken, but still...

The first thing that went through my mind when i read this though was:

Wasn't there an alarm on this car? Its not that old and with a car that nice i would have though there would be an alarm on it.

unfortunately, i doubt you are going to find the car, at least in one piece. Submit it to the cops and insurance and all that good stuff and then pray that something good happens.

Sorry about the bad luck!

6. waynesun thread starter macrumors regular

waynesun

hey guys thanks for your responses

we've been looking around.. specially craigslist
    the place where it was stolen from doesn't have a reputation for chopping up cars.. so it may still be lurking around the edison,nj area.. perhaps in a garage, waiting to be delivered to newark later this week..

the tow truck was unusually fast in its operation (in a public lot.. menlo park mall).. my brother went into the mall for an hour, came out and the car was gone.. so it's definitely a local operation that has been following his car for a while..

please keep an eye out.. i got school tomorrow, and i can 't sleep until it is found..

items of value were also in the car.. laptops, etc... not sure if those items would be sold to pawn shops or kept..

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I hope he has full coverage on it because I hate to say it. The car is gone for ever. If it is found it will not be worth anything.

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

sucks about the car, but that's why you pay those crazy jersey insurance premiums. hopefully there was nothing irreplaceable in the car and that he had a recent back up of the laptop.

cars, laptops- they're easily replaced..memories, important school or work projects- not so much..

as someone who's been there, too many times to mention, it sucks now, but it'll work itself out. just make sure you provide the INS CO with as many receipts as possible and don't let them drag their feet. they're great at collecting checks, but when it comes time to actually writing them they seem to slow down considerably.

good luck!!

9. waynesun thread starter macrumors regular

waynesun

hey guys,
    we may have gotten a possible lead as to who's responsible. not too long ago, i was outside with a couple of friends, and a certain yellow coupe caught my eye that i had never seen before.

it was a Chevy Cobalt Coupe in yellow, with the five-spoke wheel covers and a rear factory spoiler. The driver was a middle-aged hispanic-looking man, and was eyeing the surrounding of my house..

he stopped when he saw my house.. then kept driving, i was assuming he was asking for directions, but it seemed like a shady situation to me

he tried to turn out of the development to lose my attention.. and i didn't think much of his positioning on the road... i glanced at his driver's side to see a CAMERA FLASH go off facing MY DIRECTION. i thought i was hallucinating.. but it went off again!

i approached the car, and he began to drive away slowly.. so i gave him the impression that i was walking back to my house..

at this point, i'm sprinting to the edge of the road and i catch him completely off guard.. he seems to be taking more pictures of my house.. i catch his license plate, copy it down on my iPhone, and called the police..

shortly thereafter, he bails..

why is this significant? the registration information and garage door opener were left in the car. perhaps these thieves are back for more.

hopefully, this will get somewhere.. because at this level, it's getting pretty dangerous..

i talked to the cops.. and they ran his plates. apparently, he lives in the neighboring town (Old Bridge, New Jersey).. police are investigating.. hope something is made of this..

10. Redundancy Pool macrumors newbie

Redundancy Pool

Wow sounds like this is intensifying a bit, lucky you got the license plate and what not, hope you get this all figured out, good luck :), sorry about all this man.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

12. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

The big FMIC and Hondata license plate might as well be a "STEAL ME" sign to a car thief. Tell your brother to have a Lojack type device installed on his next car, and make sure the installer is well qualified to hide it in a spot that'll take even the best thieves awhile to find. A car alarm is a nice deterrant but if someone wants it they're gonna get it. Any visible mods make the car easy to single out whereas a bone stock looking car will fit in amongst the 1000s of other stock cars. Sorry to hear, hopefully he has the extra mods insured and saved his receipts. And NEVER leave your address on any paperwork inside your car, carry your registration in your wallet.

13. waynesun thread starter macrumors regular

waynesun

there are complications involving the lease and the value of the car.. but i'm sure it will be sorted out (Geico)

the fmic and hondata plate frame was probably the motivational factor.. a couple of people on the clubRSX threads for my brother's car have experienced similar jackings in the area.. i'm thinking they're all executed by the same people?

thanks for your responses so far, guys.. but this may be far from over.. thieves have the location of our home.. and may be hitting soon if that guy was really sent to scout..

i talked to the police, and the neighborhood i live in is quite well-patrolled.. i just hope the officers really do their job :(

14. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Oh man, you said the "G" word. Find someone else at all costs for insurance. They suck major donkyballs.

15. waynesun thread starter macrumors regular

waynesun

well, the case has probably come to a close. my brother found the listings for his car parts on craigslist and had photo proof that the parts being sold were off of his car.. but the cops in the thief's area just laughed it off, and said "there wasn't enough evidence". they appointed a 'detective', but he's off on vacation.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/643351719.html
    that's the listing

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/648023205.html
    and the second listing after some of the parts were sold..

:mad: i wish i could do something

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

/\ /\

Man, sorry to hear that. Not much can be done when the thief auctions off parts. I still think you can do something about it, you just have to climb the ranks until you get someone with the power to make it happen.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Just another reason for me to so hate NJ.:rolleyes:

Nothing but bad experiences there.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Smart for the chop shop to send somebody back to the victims house to take pictures of the people, vehicles, and area -- in case they try to do a sting and try to nail them.

Usually the cops want definitive evidence in the form of serial numbers of identifying marks/damage that shows up in the police report or photos.