Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
If nothing else it shows that Apple's approach with timed screen on glances in general probably is the way to go to preserve the life of the Watch's screen though.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Wow. Never thought of that. Unless burn-in can be solved, Apple's approach is appropriate. I'd also dislike seeing the clock face burned in from any kind of Ambient Mode as featured on Android Wear.

On the other hand, how long would burn-in take with a very dim nightstand / ambient mode. Presumably we would see this on Android Wear OLED watches?

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
You apparently didn't do your research if you thought the clock would stay on all night.
I don't have time to "research" that kind of crap which is why I said "That is, if the clock stays on all night."

If it does not stay on all night, Apple made the right call. Then again, I'm not sure how useful that feature is then.

Again, this was a warning just in case it did stay on all night. Thanks for the info though!

hokiemas

macrumors member
May 26, 2015
Nightstand mode isn't really that appealing to me. I have an alarm clock on my nightstand. I don't need my watch to take on the role. It's like trying to find more things that the watch can do just for the sake of doing it. To each their own, but nightstand mode is what I'm least excited about with Watch OS2.

Reactions: Jack426

kdarling

macrumors P6
I wish Apple had included a wireless charger stand / mode like the Moto 360 comes with:

moto-360-charger.jpg

As for display burn-in, that's why Android Wear always-on watchfaces periodically shift position by a few pixels.

Also, the always-on ambient mode is usually designed to use less pixels and/or fewer colors. For example, the center of an analog face and its hands will often be hollow (see below). This is suggested by the developer docs.

ambient.png

Reactions: samiznaetekto

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I think the Watch OS2 preview makes nightstand mode sound appealing: https://www.apple.com/watchos-2-preview/

"Now you can use your watch even when you’re done wearing it for the day. Just place it on its side and connect the charger. Apple Watch will automatically go into Nightstand mode, a digital display that illuminates whenever you touch the screen, the Digital Crown, or the side button. Nightstand mode even changes how the watch buttons function. When an alarm sounds, you press the side button to turn it off, or the Digital Crown to snooze."

I have been using my iPhone as an alarm for years, but the watch would be less cumbersome to me. I charge my watch on my nightstand, so it would be very convenient to simply touch the screen or snooze/dismiss the alarm with the crown or side button. I charge my iPhone on my nightstand as well, but I fumble with it to turn off the alarm in my barely awake state. I think the watch will be the better alarm option. I also wear a Fitbit to bed for sleep tracking, and it has a vibrating silent alarm function that I use. I still use my iPhone though, because the Fitbit sometimes falls off at night or doesn't wake me up.

Some think nightstand mode is pointless if the display doesn't stay on all night, but I don't like digital clocks, displays or lights of any kind that stay on all night. I like total uninterrupted darkness for sleeping. It will work like the analog alarm clock I used to have that had a small light that would turn on, illuminating the face, when you held down a button on the top. The watch will be even easier since I will just need to touch the face or one of the buttons. No... it's not a killer new feature that will sell more watches. It's just another little convenience (that actually should have been there from the start) to add to all of the other little conveniences that make the Apple Watch so useful to me.

Sean

Last edited:
Reactions: The Doctor11

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Nightstand mode isn't really that appealing to me. I have an alarm clock on my nightstand. I don't need my watch to take on the role. It's like trying to find more things that the watch can do just for the sake of doing it. To each their own, but nightstand mode is what I'm least excited about with Watch OS2.
Yeah, I have a projection clock (the one that displays time on the ceiling.) I don't see the point in having to roll over and tap the (small) screen of my watch, just to see the time that I could have viewed by only having to open my eyes.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, I have a projection clock (the one that displays time on the ceiling.) I don't see the point in having to roll over and tap the (small) screen of my watch, just to see the time that I could have viewed by only having to open my eyes.

You might see the point if you were like me: too nearsighted to see the time projected on the ceiling unless I put my glasses on :(

I have to get pretty close to any clock on the nightstand to read the time without my glasses. I've been using my iPhone for that, but the watch os2 nightstand mode will be more convenient.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
You might see the point if you were like me: too nearsighted to see the time projected on the ceiling unless I put my glasses on :(

I have to get pretty close to any clock on the nightstand to read the time without my glasses. I've been using my iPhone for that, but the watch os2 nightstand mode will be more convenient.

They make nightstand clocks with huge numbers. I'm very nearsighted as well, but I can read mine (when I'm on that side of the bed) without my glasses on. I got really tired of having to grab glasses or reach over and stare blindly at my phone... o_O

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I wear my Seiko diver to bed specifically so I can read the time in the morning. I'm very nearsighted.

Reactions: CarlJ

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
"When an alarm sounds, you press the side button to turn it off, or the Digital Crown to snooze."

I have been using my iPhone as an alarm for years, but the watch would be less cumbersome to me. I charge my watch on my nightstand, so it would be very convenient to simply touch the screen or snooze/dismiss the alarm with the crown or side button. I charge my iPhone on my nightstand as well, but I fumble with it to turn off the alarm in my barely awake state. I think the watch will be the better alarm option.

I don't see how hitting the 1/4" side button is going to be any easier than swiping on a 4" touch screen.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
They make nightstand clocks with huge numbers. I'm very nearsighted as well, but I can read mine (when I'm on that side of the bed) without my glasses on. I got really tired of having to grab glasses or reach over and stare blindly at my phone... o_O

True, but I also have an issue with large clock displays... Especially illuminated ones. I have occasional insomnia issues, and staring at a clock never helps.

My watch charges close enough to me that I can read it without glasses. I can choose to see the time only when I want to, and that works for me. We all have our individual circumstances and preferences, which is why it's good to have options. I would never question why someone might want to have the time projected on the ceiling. If that works for them, then I'm glad it's an option. That's why I'm puzzled when people put down features like nightstand mode as a useless gimmick. Just because it has no value to one person doesn't mean it won't have value to others.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks OP, but here's a Fair Warning for ya: learn how something works before criticizing something and flapping your jaw.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Thanks OP, but here's a Fair Warning for ya: learn how something works before criticizing something and flapping your jaw.
Did you not see my disclaimer? I openly hinted that I wasn't sure... Jeez...

Anyway, I edited the OP so no one gets upset again lol

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.