nMP 4k @ 60Hz Solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SamTheeGeek, Dec 10, 2013.

1. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Hey i have been doing a bit of research to enable the new mac pro to run 4k res @ 60hz on a HDMI 2.0 display, according to this website Display Port 1.2

I just need a mini display port to hdmi cable not an adapter and i should get 4k @ 60hz,

Correct me if I'm wrong

thank you

2. bryanescuela Suspended

3. Rich.Cohen macrumors regular

Well, you'll ask need a monitory with an HDMI 2.0 port. Let me know when you find one. I'm looking too. Unfortunately I also need a screen between 40" and 50" in size and that makes things more difficult for me.

4. houkouonchi macrumors regular

Its not gonna happen on mac (sorry). You could probably get it to output but you will probably get tearing down the middle and os X will think its two monitors (if it works at all).

Unfortunately mac OS X can't do horizontal spanning which means it doesn't support MST as a single display unless something has recently changed. Not sure if they are planning on changing this but since every 4k display currently does 60hz only via display port MST mac users are SOL until the hardware is HDMI 2.0 or a 4k 60hz SST display comes out which I hear won't be until mid-late 2014.

Here is what 4k @ 48hz via 2x dual link DVI (like DP MST) looked on my mac with my ibm t221:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfBd5q_OZ7Q