Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
EDIT: I did the swap and was successful! It was tough but good. Went with the 8 core 3.3ghz over the 10 core 3.0 ghz

I was set on getting the 3.0ghz 8 core nMP. But I just found out about the 10 core 3.0 swap for the base 3.7ghz 4 core.

Has anyone done this? I am really interested for it, as apple has the 4 core and 8 core models difference of $2,000. And amazon is currently selling the 10 core at $2,000.

I looked at these videos below and they look like a pretty good swap. Can anyone chime in with how tricky that may be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJX5YQY_4LI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJeHS6Kj9Q

Last edited:

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
We got the 6 core for the office, and after 2 weeks we realised it was underpowered for the video work that we were doing. We swapped it for a E5-v2696, a 2.5ghz 12 core CPU.

If you are good with your hands with the tools available, it can be done. I would rate it as requiring above average level skills.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
We got the 6 core for the office, and after 2 weeks we realised it was underpowered for the video work that we were doing. We swapped it for a E5-v2696, a 2.5ghz 12 core CPU.

If you are good with your hands with the tools available, it can be done. I would rate it as requiring above average level skills.

thanks. I've done CPU work swaps in the past, so i don't think I will have too much trouble.

I added a second CPU and Heatsink to my Mac Pro 3,1. Then upgrade the CPU's later from 2.8 to 3.2's.

Then I sold that and did a 4,1 to 5,1 flash and CPU hex upgrade also.

So hopefully, this one won't be too hard. I will just be nervous because it will be brand new!

May I ask what kind of video work you do?

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
thanks. I've done CPU work swaps in the past, so i don't think I will have too much trouble.

I added a second CPU and Heatsink to my Mac Pro 3,1. Then upgrade the CPU's later from 2.8 to 3.2's.

Then I sold that and did a 4,1 to 5,1 flash and CPU hex upgrade also.

So hopefully, this one won't be too hard. I will just be nervous because it will be brand new!

May I ask what kind of video work you do?

Once you start dismantling the nMP, there are are a few parts that are "floating", they are not secured down like in other computers so you might need to be extra careful when turning it over or moving it around.

Mostly we do 2-3 minutes corporate videos that goes directly to the web or instore TV screens. Recently we snagged a project to do 24 episodes of 30-40 minutes documentary style lecture series which necessitated the upgrade. The lecture series required a lot of multicam interview segments as well as multicam clips for the presenter.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone else done this swap? I would love to get more responses on the ease or difficulty of this.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Only 2x8 core 3.3's which Apple don't offer I've done. Has a high turbo clock so overall I think it's the best of both worlds unless you benefit from 12 with a slower single core.

As Apple do not offer a 10 core option using one its not something I've even considered unless barefeats, digilloyd or OWC have proved one of them does work in a 6,1. I found it pretty straightforward but I'm an engineer!

Have to be careful with the interconnect cables and I used a pile of books at the correct height with an anti static bag on top to prop the PCB's cos I repasted the GPU's too.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Only 2x8 core 3.3's which Apple don't offer I've done. Has a high turbo clock so overall I think it's the best of both worlds unless you benefit from 12 with a slower single core.

As Apple do not offer a 10 core option using one its not something I've even considered unless barefeats, digilloyd or OWC have proved one of them does work in a 6,1. I found it pretty straightforward but I'm an engineer!

Have to be careful with the interconnect cables and I used a pile of books at the correct height with an anti static bag on top to prop the PCB's cos I repasted the GPU's too.

I actually changed my mind and now am going for the 8 core 3.3.

Wow, I don't plan on messing with the GPU's, I can only imagine what I need to do to get there lol.
I've watched the OWC video like ten times already, and I think I can do it.
I am just hoping I don't damage anything by static, or any connectors by pushing them in too hard.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I actually changed my mind and now am going for the 8 core 3.3.

Wow, I don't plan on messing with the GPU's, I can only imagine what I need to do to get there lol.
I've watched the OWC video like ten times already, and I think I can do it.
I am just hoping I don't damage anything by static, or any connectors by pushing them in too hard.

I found the client both for an absolute steal, there was a tray of them listed on ebay and they were snapped up quick.

Use the ifixit guide too. I have the technicians guide too but I gave my word it is for my own use and would not distribute it to anyone and that's my bond. Though most of that requires these fancy supports instead of books!

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012

Mr Taibox123 on youtube upgraded his Mac Pro with a 10 core version, and that was months ago. Seems to still be going strong without issue.
http://youtu.be/tSAjk2xpIl4

It's also something I've been looking into, although here in Ireland, even on EBAY those CPU's cost as much as half of what my 6core Mac Pro did.

Debating upgrading the CPU or just waiting for the Haswell-EP MP to launch and see what that offers first.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Mr Taibox123 on youtube upgraded his Mac Pro with a 10 core version, and that was months ago. Seems to still be going strong without issue.
http://youtu.be/tSAjk2xpIl4

It's also something I've been looking into, although here in Ireland, even on EBAY those CPU's cost as much as half of what my 6core Mac Pro did.

Debating upgrading the CPU or just waiting for the Haswell-EP MP to launch and see what that offers first.

Everything costs over the top across the Irish Sea now - that's why I'm upgrading my mates entire IT system for his business by going on the ferry from Fishguard to Dublin with it all in my car!

Have to search worldwide, save a search and wait for a tray of them to appear. They will be much cheaper than the retail ones that are usually listed for buy it now for ridiculous rates.

New Haswell E/EP is a different socket, which will be the same socket as Broadwell E/EP. The 7,1 will have better CPU upgrade prospects than certainly the 6,1

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I'm planning on doing this upgrade, after I have maxed out ram and finally settled on a suitable gigantic monitor, or two.
It can't be any harder than working on the original first gen Intel Mini

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Everything costs over the top across the Irish Sea now - that's why I'm upgrading my mates entire IT system for his business by going on the ferry from Fishguard to Dublin with it all in my car!

Have to search worldwide, save a search and wait for a tray of them to appear. They will be much cheaper than the retail ones that are usually listed for buy it now for ridiculous rates.

New Haswell E/EP is a different socket, which will be the same socket as Broadwell E/EP. The 7,1 will have better CPU upgrade prospects than certainly the 6,1

Thanks for the search advice, I'll do that and see what pops up.

I know the new CPU's are new sockets, which is why I'm also waiting to see what Apple does on that front. It might make more since to sell the current system and get a new DDR4 Haswell 8 Core.

Although it'll also depend on what new GPU's they put in and the overall package. I know Haswell-EP doesn't offer too much in IPC increases, so I'll still have a look at a decent 8 or 10 core in the mean time as I'm more CPU starved in work at the moment.

Although then 64GB DDR3, and the 8 Core Xeon cost me over €3000 ( paid €4750 for my system ) in Ireland, it does make sense to make that Ebay search for better prices, and seeing what the new 7,1 brings.

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
There are a couple of interesting chips if you want to upgrade

E5-2667 V2 - 8 core 3.3
E5-2690 V2 - 10 core 3.0
E5-2695 V2 - 12 core 2.5

Look out for the turbo boost bins, I wonder if there are any pure single core processes, most seems to involve around 3-4 cores.

Even if your process is single core, won't the processor split up some of the background work and you still end up using a few cores ?

Anyway, from my work as a photo video editor, I would say, avoid the 6 core as I feel it is not powerful* enough, the E5-2667 I think is the sweet spot for photographers and the E5-2690 for video editors.

*Power is subjective, for me I just want responsiveness and be done with the work ASAP. We have a part-timer that edits the same 30-40 minute video as me on a 13" MacBook Pro and she gets along just fine.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
There are a couple of interesting chips if you want to upgrade

E5-2667 V2 - 8 core 3.3
E5-2690 V2 - 10 core 3.0
E5-2695 V2 - 12 core 2.5

Look out for the turbo boost bins, I wonder if there are any pure single core processes, most seems to involve around 3-4 cores.

Even if your process is single core, won't the processor split up some of the background work and you still end up using a few cores ?

Anyway, from my work as a photo video editor, I would say, avoid the 6 core as I feel it is not powerful* enough, the E5-2667 I think is the sweet spot for photographers and the E5-2690 for video editors.

*Power is subjective, for me I just want responsiveness and be done with the work ASAP. We have a part-timer that edits the same 30-40 minute video as me on a 13" MacBook Pro and she gets along just fine.

I am a video editor, and I pulled for the 8 core 3.3ghz. Do you think I should return it?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I am a video editor, and I pulled for the 8 core 3.3ghz. Do you think I should return it?

10% clock speed vs 25% extra cores is hard to look at for a heavily creative work flow. You're probably better off with the 8-core overall unless you are running lots of long computational tasks i.e heavy encoding periods.

Even then your overall productivity might be better served with the slightly faster cores. Even with these small margins (10%) you can get a lower frequency of interruption to your creative process and that can be more beneficial to generating income than waiting an hour extra for a long task, if you can use longer periods of down time better. Most people aren't going to notice any of this really though.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
10% clock speed vs 25% extra cores is hard to look at for a heavily creative work flow. You're probably better off with the 8-core overall unless you are running lots of long computational tasks i.e heavy encoding periods.

Even then your overall productivity might be better served with the slightly faster cores. Even with these small margins (10%) you can get a lower frequency of interruption to your creative process and that can be more beneficial to generating income than waiting an hour extra for a long task, if you can use longer periods of down time better. Most people aren't going to notice any of this really though.

thanks for the insight. I usually do my long rendering/encoding while sleeping or eating lol. So that really doesn't bother me.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
8 core 3.3 seems not only on paper but in practice the best balance of high core count with high turbo boost.

My clients are very happy but won't be when they have to pay nearly twice as much for the 3.3's they did before.

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013

Depends on what type of export are you doing. The only thing in what I do that really tax the processor is Compressor exporting. If you don't export very long project and have a flexible deadline, the 8 core should be fine and in fact probably faster for editing processes as others have pointed out.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Just want to say I upgraded the Memory and CPU in my nMP over this weekend. It was nerve wracking just because I was dealing with brand new equipment, but it was pretty straight forward!

I am now proud to say my nMP is purring like a kitten with her 8 core 3.3ghz chip in her! and 64gb owc memory! :) Very satisfied!

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Just want to say I upgraded the Memory and CPU in my nMP over this weekend. It was nerve wracking just because I was dealing with brand new equipment, but it was pretty straight forward!

I am now proud to say my nMP is purring like a kitten with her 8 core 3.3ghz chip in her! and 64gb owc memory! :) Very satisfied!

My clients were very happy with their 3.3 nice to see that you are too. They aren't that difficult just a bit nerve-wracking for the first time. Just keep the original bits and paste to hand in case it's AppleCare time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.