nMP 8 vs 6 core

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, Dec 16, 2013.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

While price will have a big factor. I'm debating between the 8 and 6 core nMP and D500 vs D700 for FCP X and or Adobe Premiere CC.
    For now, both will be a huge upgrade for me but who knows in X amount of years what my needs would be. Will the price justify the cost?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Well I find that if you're making money (your own business) using such applications and you have the clientelle that will aid in your going-concern of that business .... as long as you can afford the 8-core with D700 GO FOR IT! it'll pay for itself in the time saved.

Most importantly ...
    factor in the cost of the applications & new 4K LCD's if you plan to take full advantage of such a setup.

All in all the memory on the D700 and more onboard RAM on the 8-Core will incredibly benefit you immensely!

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

THe thing that kills me is the render time. The company I work for as a crazy turn around of 48 hours for about an hour and half long project. Their isn't much "editing" just fixing and putting in graphics. I shoot in XDCAM EX and also AVCHD (converted to proress) for a fixed clock/scoreboard that is cropped and color corrected. So I have about 3+ layers and my renders take 8+ hours and my export times are about 4 hours (as they require it to be scaled down)

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

If you get paid to do it and you find that your computer is a tool in making money than the cost of a computer should never concern you in any department beyond what you can realistically afford without eating ramen every day. I would get the 8-core model and definitely DEFINITELY upgrade the GPU's and GPU's are and are going to continue to be big players in rendering stuff, GPU's are amazing in graphics crazy stuff, projects that would take 16 hours to render out for me take 2-4 hours with just a single Nvidia GT 650M...the graphics cards on the Mac Pro are about 1000x better. The few times I've worked on bigger projects on a desktop (I don't have a desktop of my own at the moment) increased speed has always made life so much easier.