nMP actual manufactoring date

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Xde, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Xde macrumors member

Xde

hi, has anyone checked the manufactoring date of an actually bought nMP? The way, bought on date vs manufact date.
    There are some websites to check that date via serial number. -
    Is there still production or are there many in stock/overhead?

2. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

When B&H massively discounts the entire lot, snatch 'em up! Keep one or 2 sealed in storage - may be worth something in 50 years.

3. vddobrev macrumors 6502

I purchased one last week from the UK, manufacturing date is Dec 2017.

4. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

Technically or traditionally irregardless of the manufacturing date, won’t the 2013 Mac Pro be supported by Apple for just one more year after the 2012(5,1) MacPros become unsupported. Wouldn’t that be a factor for the 2013 Mac Pro’s value.

5. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Could be support for a few years longer. It has Thunderbolt and Metal capable GPUs.

6. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Obviously Apple is not base on the performance / function to decide which Mac is supported.

e.g. For High Sierra

The Late 2009 MacBook is supported, but the stronger Mid 2009 MacBook Pro is not supported.

It's purely because Late vs Mid (within or not within 7 years since launch).

I personally also believe the 2013 Mac Pro will only be supported one more year if compare to the 2012 model. That's more close to the Apple style.

7. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Actually, no. Apple's policy for hardware support is in writing and is 5 years from the last date of manufacture, not the first date. So if Apple made the 2013 Mac Pro until the year 3000, then they would stop supporting the hardware in 3005.

"Support" refers to parts and service.

MacOS support is different. It is not in writing and although it is loosely based on hardware features, it also appears to be largely arbitrary. HS supporting the 5,1 but not the 4,1 (which is the exact same hardware) is a perfect example of this.

8. Xde thread starter macrumors member

Xde

@vddobrev
    Assuming, that shipping to EU spends some weeks as well, it seems that production line is still running.
    I was wondering, some DE resellers has set up prices 400€ higher. (here usually some reseller prices incl tax are 400€ lower than orig Apple prices)
    After about 2 weeks pricing went back to the lower value as before. I was thinking, maybe resellers could be afraid ordering bigger values before release of "Mp 2018", so that high prices were related to small orders.

9. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I believe the 4,1 and 5,1 difference was because of the optional Airport card in the 4,1 and it being standard in the 5,1. Apple most likely has the numbers on the 4,1s out there with Airports and felt it wasn't enough effort to convince people to buy new cards for old machines.