nMP Bootcamp Display Driver Help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MMcCraryNJ, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

Hey all,

So I just installed Windows 8.1 Pro via BootCamp. Went well, aside from the fact that the latest Bootcamp Display Drivers do not play nice with my ultrawide monitor (34UM95-P). I get an insane amount of flickering, where the screen is "shifting" across my monitor (the start menu flickers to the middle of the screen, then flickers back, anytime I load a webpage or move an Explorer window). I uninstalled the GPU drivers and FirePro software, and I get none of that using the generic Windows Display drivers.

I am trying to install the latest Catalyst drivers from the AMD site, however when running setup, it states that it cannot find any AMD hardware to install drivers for. These, of course, are the Omega drivers. The last I read, the Omega drivers weren't compatible with the nMP, and that I would need to fall back to an earlier version. I cannot find this on AMDs site. I tried searching the forum, however I haven't been able to find any recent answer to this.

Any help would be appreciated as to what Catalyst drivers to install, and where I would obtain them from. Thank you!

2. MMcCraryNJ thread starter macrumors 6502

I resolved my issue.

For anyone else in my situation, I downloaded the newest Omega drivers, as well as the latest BootCamp drivers from AMD's site (not one of the older betas as detailed in the Omega driver thread, which you can no longer find for download). I took the two files needed from the BootCamp package and put them into the Bin64 folder in the new Omega drivers Bin64 folder, and installation was able to continue. Everything went fine and the new drivers no longer cause my display to flicker about.

So if you're having issues with the 34UM95-P flickering in Windows, it's being caused by Apple's initial BootCamp drivers for the GPUs. Uninstall them in Safe Mode using the Guru app, reboot, and follow the procedure above. My 34UM95-P is connected via Thunderbolt and is running just fine with CrossFire enabled.