Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I just got my nMP last night. After inspection, I found these. Waited for 2 months and 2 days. Turn out to be this. Could you inspect your nMP in detail? Do you have these marks?
Thank you so much
ezy3epuz.jpg

e4ahysag.jpg

9u8egysu.jpg

ysu2yryd.jpg

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Ill let you know when I get mine. Do you have that coil electronic whine that people are having?

----------

Ill let you know when I get mine. Do you have that coil electronic whine that people are having?

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA

----------

Mine is deadly quite. I will have to do some stress tests and see the fan noise.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm sorry but if you have to circle thing for people to notice them then you're just OCD. Also how frequently will you have the cover off to notice these blemishes?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The inside of the computer, really?

When you buy a new vehicle do you crawl under it to look for blemishes on the undercarriage and underbody? Do you look for blemishes in the engine compartment.

What a waste of your time for even worrying about this and then posting it, what a waste of our time for reading it and responding, and what a waste of Apple's time if you pursue something this ludicrous.

ThrawnTHX

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
No marks here. No coil whine either. Like someone else, said, it's super quiet even under what would typically constitute a heavy load.

MSF

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
A new device should be immaculately new! (especially coming from a brand like :apple:)
There should be no damages on the out- or inside.
Or else the device should be discounted.
I understand your concern. i will have a look! In April :p

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
You are totally within your rights to be disappointed about the finnish.
It's a $3500 purchase not a $20 toy !!

Ignore the OCD comments, I would be pretty "hacked off" myself with flaws
on such an expensive item..... and after a 2 month wait - return to sender!!

:mad::mad:
M

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA

M

It did cost me more than 3,500$ ...sad-face...

ZnU

macrumors regular
May 24, 2006

If we were talking about a scratched exterior shell here that would be one thing... but obsessing over the finish on the interior of the system? The vast majority of computing and electronics products are not 'finished' internally at all, and often show exposed sheet metal, uneven edges of surface treatments, glue/tape, etc.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I'm pretty OCD about my stuff...I mean one day I went all around my house and made sure every flathead screw on the switch and outlet plates were aligned to exactly 12 and 6 (no comments, please :p ) but even this doesn't bug me.

We all know you can't run the machine without the cover on so when would you see this on any frequent basis? How do you know there isn't a blemish on the inside of the heatsink? Maybe you should have gone further and disassembled the entire machine to look for more issues. You never know...there might be one in there. :eek:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

M

Are you buying a tool/computer or a piece of art?

Its like complaining a Ferrari has scratches on the chassis.

The nMP is designed to be run with is cover on. Really see no issue here. We are talking about the internal chassis here, of a desktop!

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
If we were talking about a scratched exterior shell here that would be one thing... but obsessing over the finish on the interior of the system? The vast majority of computing and electronics products are not 'finished' internally at all, and often show exposed sheet metal, uneven edges of surface treatments, glue/tape, etc.

Are you buying a tool/computer or a piece of art?

Its like complaining a Ferrari has scratches on the chassis.

The nMP is designed to be run with is cover on. Really see no issue here. We are talking about the internal chassis here, of a desktop!

Well, that's my opinion - you have yours and i have mine :cool:

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well if you got nothing important to do with your computer, by all means send it back but there's no guarantee the replacement will be scratch or cosmetic free, however you might have to wait a week or so for the replacement (depending on your config)

My nMP interior has some interior paint defect (I'm guessing the surface wasn't cleaned thoroughly hence living some contaminants), but I choose to ignore it as I won't see it unless I open my nMP and inspect the case thoroughly, and I got work to do that requires the computer to do its thing. Now, my only reason to return it is if the wifi card starts to give me problem (sometime refuse to connect to network, my only solution so far is connecting iPhone via USB + personal hotspot seem to do the trick. Though I have 1 year warranty right? So I'll probably wait till the project is over or something before deciding if I should report bout it)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm pretty OCD about my stuff...I mean one day I went all around my house and made sure every flathead screw on the switch and outlet plates were aligned to exactly 12 and 6 (no comments, please :p ) but even this doesn't bug me.

I wasted years of my life lining up switch cover screws too.

But I sought professional help - and when I remodeled I went with screwless...

41njFcHxZAL.jpg

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
By all means, please send it back for a replacement, so those of us still waiting can get bumped back by one spot, while you get yours replaced because of a scratch on the INSIDE. :rolleyes:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
If it doesn't have coil wine,and it's running great I would just put cover back on and keep it. What if you send it back to only have the next one come with the bad coil and possible marks on outside ect.

Yes it would bother me for that kinda $$$,but as you can't see them with cover on and you say it quiet...well!

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
I got a replacement. It has the same problem on the same area. Talked with Apple executive relation again. They want to identify this problem in production process. So, you guys can have flawless machine. I will have to ship it back to them for inspection. Am I being useful?

----------

You should go have a look the nMP in the clear tube in Apple store. It looks flawless in every detail.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
Am I being useful?

----------

No, you are being ridiculous. Meantime, I'm still waiting on mine. I'll be perfectly fine with that "blemish." Just wish I had a machine to use....one that doesn't have coil wine, and doesn't lock out the audio when it goes to sleep...you know, REAL issues! :rolleyes:

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
I'm too OCD to go look at mine and see if I have any of these marks (because if I do, it will bug me). The track for the case wouldn't bother me, but the one on the fan cage would.

I agree with your premise--It should be perfect.

evilpaddy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I'm too OCD to go look at mine and see if I have any of these marks (because if I do, it will bug me). The track for the case wouldn't bother me, but the one on the fan cage would.

I agree with your premise--It should be perfect.

It should function within acceptable tolerances. nothing wrong with striving for perfection, but name me anyone that achieves it with a 100% success rate.

Whilst I feel for those with OCD, which for most people is beyond their control, I trust that they also are aware that by definition it's their expectations and perceptions that are the problem and not the smudge on the underside of a trashcan...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.