nMP D300 is V7900?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bazu, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Bazu macrumors regular

2. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Not all the specs match up.
    The computational float level is not: 2TFLOPs. ( W7000 is 2.4TFLOPs. Underclock it a bit back to 2TFLOPs is far more likely than trying to overclock th eV7900 which comes up short at 1.8 ).

Likewise would be a rather dubious move to kneecap themselves with a PCI-e v2.0 card when a bit constrained on PCI-e v3.0 lanes. Better to have twice the bandwidth with that limited budget than any "el cheapo" move of building a custom graphics card around a over 2 year card based on previous generation GPU microarchitecture. AMD is on GCN (graphics core next). The D500 and D700 almost certainly are based on GCN. It would be an extremely odd duck not to use the same technology to provide better graphics and OpenCL preformance at lower TDP.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

No 4K support disqualifies it. It's almost certainly a Pitcairn XT part on the latest 28nm silicon supporting PCIe 3.0. In fact, I think someone confirmed that a Pitcairn XT card was recognized in Mavericks as a D300.

4. Bazu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for answers! :)

5. jwjohnsonjr macrumors newbie

V7900

Sorry to ask, but I'm new to the Mac world. I was wondering if a AMD FirePro V7900 would work in a Mac Pro. Does anyone know if it will out of the box, or if it can be flashed?

6. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp