Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Hi all,

I'm trying to buy two new displays for my nMP, when reading apple's guide on having multiple displays (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202801) it says:

"Two HDMI (HD or 4K) devices: one connected via HDMI and one connected via Mini DisplayPort with an HDMI adapter."

Would I be able to connect more than 2 if I use a direct HDMI to mini-display cable (http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B004CADY9I/)? Also, could anyone tell me why is the number limited to two? when native mini-display monitors are supported up to 6.

Edit: I realized that the display I've mentioned above does not have HDMI, but I'm still wondering about other displays that do have HDMI.

Thanks

Last edited:

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I'm assuming there's some reason you want to use HDMI, but regardless, the key thing is that you get *active* adapters if you want more than two monitors (and many people have found they need active adapters even for doing two monitors). So, rather than that cable you linked to, something like the UltraAV Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 Active Adapter. There are cheaper ones as well, but that one looks like it handles a wider range of resolutions. If you read down to the bottom of the Support Note you linked to, you'll see it mentions the need for active adapters.

macuser1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
I'm assuming there's some reason you want to use HDMI, but regardless, the key thing is that you get *active* adapters if you want more than two monitors (and many people have found they need active adapters even for doing two monitors). So, rather than that cable you linked to, something like the UltraAV Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 Active Adapter. There are cheaper ones as well, but that one looks like it handles a wider range of resolutions. If you read down to the bottom of the Support Note you linked to, you'll see it mentions the need for active adapters.

Thanks for the quick replay, I don't necessarily want to use HDMI, I was just wondering about HDMI because I wanted to expand the choices of displays I can choose from. I currently have two HDMI 24" displays (Dell S2440L). I'm thinking of either going up to 4 or 6 (I do a lot of 3D/2D viz work), I know it sounds like an overkill but I usually like to have multiple reference images/sites pulled up when work (and maybe Netflix haha).

Any configuration/displays you recommend?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.