Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
I installed AMD CCC 15.7.1 yesterday, but I can't find anywhere within it to enable manual fan control. I was going to use MSI Afterburner to create a custom fan curve.

Gaming under Crossfire X puts the GPUs at 92 and 94 degrees C.

Does anyone know how I can enable manual fan control?

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
Anyone think running the fan at max speed during gaming for a few hours at a time will do any harm?

At max speed the cards stay under 90 degrees and everything works really well.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Harm to what? - the fan? That's always spinning anyway... A few extra RPM once in a while shouldn't greatly affect the fan's life.
You can also try adjusting the speed down a little, particularly if the fan noise is objectionable. If the noise doesn't bother you, then have at it.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
I think the fan itself is Maglev so the only thing that will harm is increased power consumption a bit ;).

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
Harm to what? - the fan? That's always spinning anyway... A few extra RPM once in a while shouldn't greatly affect the fan's life.
You can also try adjusting the speed down a little, particularly if the fan noise is objectionable. If the noise doesn't bother you, then have at it.

Great. I was just wondering. I am using Bose Noise Cancelling headphones anyways, so the noise from the fan doesn't bother me one bit!

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
I think the fan itself is Maglev so the only thing that will harm is increased power consumption a bit ;).

Admittedly I don't know much about Fans. So I take it Maglev are high quality?

Power Consumption doesn't bother me!

Thanks for the response. :)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
MagLev is the type of bearing used for the fan blade. The shaft floats in a magnetic field (MagLev = Magnetic Levitation), so very little friction, and very quick acceleration (speed up and slow down, too). You end up with a rotating device with virtually no vibration, and the only noise that you should hear is caused by the movement of air.
In theory, of course... :D

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
MagLev is the type of bearing used for the fan blade. The shaft floats in a magnetic field (MagLev = Magnetic Levitation), so very little friction, and very quick acceleration (speed up and slow down, too). You end up with a rotating device with virtually no vibration, and the only noise that you should hear is caused by the movement of air.
In theory, of course... :D

That's very cool! I had no idea such a thing existed. Thank you for the explanation. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.