nMP : I got a DUD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by raw911, Jan 15, 2014.

1. raw911 macrumors regular

Well got my nMP on jan 9th. I got all my apps and everything all set up and was ready to rock. Then all of a sudden nMP just would randomly shut down and restart. So called senior adv at apple and we went thru the whole trbl shooting procedures including deleting and trying to reinstall fresh osx mavericks. Couldn't get that installed cause it would shut down and restart during that process. Long story short..... Apple engineers did confirm that it's a hardware issue and they want it back to work on so it won't happen to anyone else.

It figures I'd get a damn DUD!!!!!!!
    But it shld help oh hers out so when they find out reason it won't happen again.

NOW I'm fighting to get a replacement before February/march. I don't think I should have to WAIT for refund then REORDER. That's a bunch of crap. So on phone I go again with apple. Talk to y'all later

#sucks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I hope your hashtag starts trending, for real, but it sounds like you're going to get another new machine. Do you know how long you have to wait given supplies being seemingly restricted?

3. bcuzawd macrumors member

bcuzawd

Sorry for your pains raw911. Reminds me of when I got my MBP 5,2 new. Loaded everything up and just started to get into the groove (just converted from PC) and then BAM!!! Hard drive failure!!! Pretty bad first impression of Apple and I let them know, in not so restrained words, that I wasn't happy. Especially after finding-out it was made in China (was under the impression, at the time, Apple kept everything stateside).

To sum it up though...HD was replaced and I recovered a good portion of my data (put too much faith in Apple and didn't properly do a BUP) and I've fallen more and more deeply in-love with my MBP. I hope my experience with the nMP doesn't begin the same.

I hope your situation is handled expeditiously as well.

4. mct74 macrumors member

that sucks! :(

I ordered within the first hour and mine still just says shipping in January...

5. daviesaz macrumors newbie

The good news is you've primed the refurbished nMP supply.

6. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea that I just did.

If I don't get a replacement by early next week. I'd be VERY DISSAPOINTED

7. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Damn that's really bad luck you've got there. There's no doubt you're going to be prioritised in replacement.

8. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks
    But yea if it wasn't for BAD LUCK I'd have no damn LUCK AT ALL!!!!!

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I can't speak specifically about Mac Pros, but Apple usually reserves warranty/service stock even for items that are in tight supply specifically so you don't have long waits for replacements.

10. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

It is funny. When I called Apple in 2007 with weird refurbished MBP behavior - it would not boot if ambient temp below 60°F. It was returned as DOA after prolonged saga. First thing they asked to do - reinstall OS X. Despite the fact, it was crystal clear hardware failure. Does not require a rocket scientist to figure this out. So it seems, reinstalling OS X is equivalent of rebooting Windows. Nothing changed, it seems.

11. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :D

12. Anim macrumors 6502a

Anim

What a nightmare, your not the only one either, somebody in the spreadsheet (for orders that Scissors posted) in the UK bricked his January nMP by cloning the SSD or something. He is now on a priority February delivery based on his notes in the spreadsheet.

I don't mean to be inconsiderate here but I hope these refurbished nMP's don't go back out the door as "new" machines due to low stock :eek:

13. adr1974, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

adr1974 macrumors regular

Ordered a 6-core from MacMall. Turned it on...definitely NOT silent...sounded like a baseball card on bicycle spokes. Took it to Apple, got a case number, sent it back to MacMall, who overnighted me a new one. Got it yesterday, works perfectly.

I had never used MacMall before...but I thought they were great to deal with and handled everything quickly and professionally.

14. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean even tho it's just my damn luck .... Apple exec's are being very helpful in handling this issue in a fast manner. So at least I'm not getting any runaround bout getting this replaced. So for that I can give apple a KUDOS.....

----------

No I don't think the duds will be recirculated due to that I know for mines engineering wanted it so that they can figure out why it's happening and to prevent it from continuing. Hell they even had me send it fedex overnight to arrive by 10:30am next day. So they serious bout trying to kill any and all problems occurring.

----------

Yea it does suck. Glad it didn't happen after I'd had vital data on it.....but I'm not gonna put that stuff on it anyways. I don't trust it that much. So I'll place on DVD DL or another external drive JUST IN CASE.

15. Sinx2oic macrumors regular

Sinx2oic

I got a dud in 2009 with similar problem Kept falling asleep or shutting down - think they called it thermal runaway. Fingers crossed my nMP 8core will be ok.
    I feel for you man, must be frustarting :(

16. raw911, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

Well still waiting for ANY RESPONSE I've been talking to apple exec of Cust relations and I get an " non-chalant" type of attitude. What the hell do they only make one Mac Pro a day? Just getting a little frustrated now.

Starting to feel like apple Just stole $5000 from me and said screw you I'd get to you when I get to you.

17. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

Latest update

Well I'm still waiting for my replacement of my nMP. Still getting that non chalant attitude from exec relations. And on top of all this there is no good will/I'm sorry gesture from apple. Just "ish happens oh well" and we will send you replacement when we can.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's sucks that they didn't at least give you a ETA for a new one. Hope you don't have to wait till February :eek:

"your holding it wrong" :rolleyes:

19. omnious macrumors member

Mandatory saying:

If SJ was still alive, a gentle email to him would've probably gotten you a replacement the next morning.

Alas, TC is not SJ.

20. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

I TOTALLY AGREE with you. Had SJ been alive it would had been handled next day.
    TOTALLY AGREE

21. echoout macrumors 6502a

I received a dud in the SJ era and it took more than a week for them to turn it around and get me a new one. Apple actually tried to have it repaired through Applecare and I fought it all the way, and eventually won. Terrible experience.

22. raw911 thread starter macrumors regular

I feel your anguish. And every problem gets different attention/results. From my experience in the past I had a Mac Pro issue and got thru to SJ Office and it was delt with pronto. This matter did take a while. But I'm happy to say that my replaced nMP is due to arrive 1/20/2014.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are we seriously still talking about Jobs? :rolleyes:

24. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Good to know! So it's either today or tomorrow (depending on your time) :cool: