nMP Locks up after System Sleep with 3+ daisy chained Promise2 R4 Enclosures

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShortArc, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ShortArc, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

ShortArc macrumors member

My nMP(6,1) will not recover from system sleep when three or more Pegasus Promise2 R4 enclosures are daisy chained to it.

This will also happen without drives installed.

I also tested it with a second nMP at my locate Apple Store replicating the same system lockup.

There are no issues when this configuration is connected to a rMBP Thunderbolt 1 port.

I have been communicating with Apple Engineering (via Tech support) on this issue for over a month and the cause would appear to be the Promise Pegasus2 enclosures. Promise has not given any feedback to date.

I would strongly recommend you stay away from these enclosures if you plan on daisy chaining more than two enclosures on the same port with system sleep enabled.

2. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

Well, I disabled the system or drives going to sleep to avoid crashing when trying to wake up. However, I have only older FirmTek eSATA enclosures hooked up via eSATA to Thunderbolt adapters/converters.

So, to me this seems to be an nMP problem, not just a Pegasus Promise2 R4 problem.

3. ShortArc, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

ShortArc thread starter macrumors member

I should also mention that I added a LaCie 1TB SSD TB2 as the third device (along with the P2R4s) and the system had no issues waking from sleep. Maybe not just a problem with P2R4 but I would say most likely.

4. ShortArc thread starter macrumors member

Powering on the Promise2 enclosures while the MP(6,1) is booting freezes my system. Powering on the Promise2 connected on separate ports simultaneously while the MP(6,2) is running causes a kernel panic. (FW Version 3.18.0000.36). Power issue?

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would be suspect of the power. Are they all plugged into the same circuit (i.e. does the same circuit breaker shut down all arrays and the nMP? I would try them on different circuits as a starter.

Also... are you using UPS? If so... try the nMP on the UPS and the drives plugged directly into the wall.

If that works... the I would suggest getting separate UPS units for the nMP and the Pegasus units.

/Jim

6. ShortArc thread starter macrumors member

Tested. Not a power outlet issue or UPS issue (APC Smartups 3000xl with two battery packs attached).

7. ShortArc thread starter macrumors member

Either the latest FW update by Promise (3.18.0000.36) or OS X update 10.9.3 resolved the sleep issue. I will have to go back to see which did what.