nMP - noise - need advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by theSeb, May 7, 2014.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I have been doing a lot of encoding since I got my 6 core nMP and I am shocked. I have never used a computer like this. The fan usually stays at around 790 even when the CPU is at 100% and it is barely audible. A couple of times the fan climbed up to just over 900 when the door to my little home office was closed and the whole room warmed up too much. It was still quiet. I have been monitoring for thermal throttling and it's not happened once - full turboboost at all times.

So what is the problem? It makes everything else noisy. All of my external drives are just too damn noisy now! Can anyone recommend quiet 4,6 or 8 bay enclosures?

Attached Files:

2. danny_w macrumors 601

I noticed the exact same thing when I got my Mac Mini. Everything else was suddenly LOUD!

Anyway I got a CalDigit T3 that is nowhere near silent but is quieter than any other multi-bay enclosure I have found beyond a 2-bay. Some people get TB disks and a long TB optical cable so that they can put them as far away as possible (but just the cable itself is several hindered dollars!).

3. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

I would love to be able to do that, but I am limited with my office space at this point in time and have nowhere to relocate the storage to. :(

4. Marty62 macrumors 6502

I don't own a nMP but I have also some drive noise issues.

You can use rubber grommets inside enclosures to disconnect the drive case
    from the box and also buy "silent" fans, which also sit on rubber grommets.

If you feel that's worth doing on the enclosures that you own ?

I recently fitted a Silent fan in an IcyBox Raid enclosure and it's almost silent.
    Cost me less than 6 Euro's

M.

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi TheSeb. I know you mentioned you have limited space. Maybe you can try placing the external devices beside or underneath your desk sort of to lessen the noise. This may not totally eliminate the noise but to "drown it" a bit.

6. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Funnily enough my Icy Box 2 bay enclosure is the worst of the bunch. The fan on this thing is driving me insane, so I might look into your suggestions.

----------

They are already under the desk unfortunately. :)

7. Marty62 macrumors 6502

It's probably the same 2 x bay box ! ( black, slide off front Raid 0/1/JBOD USB3.0)
    It sounded like a jet taking off "out of the box" !!

I bought the 40mm x 40mm Black Silent fan from Amazon - I highly recommend
    it .
    One caveat, if they use a similar "locking glue" on the bolts, try to get as much off
    as possible, I stripped 2 x screws trying to get the fan out and had to cut them
    off with a dremel !

Marty.

8. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Mine is actually the older USB 2 version. Thanks for the advice. At this point in time I'll consider if I want to mess around with it, or just get another one, especially seeing as it's USB 2 and painfully slow.

9. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Update: I have realised that the "noise" is actually more of a vibration issue that carries throughout the house and annoys me more than the fan noise. I ended up buying a bunch of pads from "isolate it". I did not really believe that these things would make a difference, but they REALLY work. I am pleasantly surprised and most of the noise that was bothering me is now gone.

For those that have similar issues:

http://www.isolateit.com/

10. shaunp macrumors 65816

Another option, although not a necessarily cheap one, is to use a long thunderbolt cable and put the noisy storage in another room? Have whatever storage you want that way and don't worry about the noise.