nMP order Poll

Who order or will order new Mac Pro

  • Yes I already ordered one/or will order one soon

    Votes: 123 66.1%
  • No, I will not be ordering one as it has very limited upgrade options

    Votes: 13 7.0%
  • No, my classic MP is all I need

    Votes: 41 22.0%
  • I will switch to iMac

    Votes: 9 4.8%
  • I will be looking at other options (PC)

    Votes: 12 6.5%

  • Total voters
    186

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
5,577
2,654
newyorkcity
what about the option-
"definitely ordering one.. just waiting on a $600 decision based on d500->d700 which i don't know very much about yet" (or applicable unknown)



(edit- ok, the top choice works for me now. thnks)
 
Last edited:

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
306
4
Belgium
what about the option-
"definitely ordering one.. just waiting on a $600 decision based on d500->d700 which i don't know very much about yet" (or applicable unknown)
Exactly! The question of do I really need it or is it just me wanting it ... Tough choices to be made.
 

Quash

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
192
20
what about the option-
"definitely ordering one.. just waiting on a $600 decision based on d500->d700 which i don't know very much about yet" (or applicable unknown)
Same but for me it's D300 vs D700 difference, doubt the D500 will be very interesting with it's low clock/core count.
 

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
614
22
Macclesfield, UK
Feb for me too. Ordered 19th Dec from UK app store so hope it comes early feb and not the end. Got the TB monitor, time capsule delivered already though. 6 Core, D700, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD
 
Last edited:

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
824
1
I'm a little stuck with the ordering situation. Shortly after the store opened at 12:30 PST I ordered ...

  • Stock Hex core package, 16GB, 256 GB flash
  • Upgraded to D700's

With tax it hit my comfort level of $5k, but in retrospect I realized that maybe I should also upgrade the flash to 512. $300 isn't a bad price for another 256 GB. However the only way I can do that is to cancel and reorder, which puts me at the end of the queue (I called several times and verified this).

Oh well, maybe it's for the best, this way I can upgrade the flash later from OWC, perhaps to a 1 TB once the soreness from the initial purchase wears off.
 

vader0401

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
13
1
I waiting for january, CPU 6-core, GPU D-700, RAM 16 GB and SSD 1TB.
Ordered 19th Dec from HK apple store.
 

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
5,577
2,654
newyorkcity
6-core, 512MB, 16GB, D500, February.
ouch- an extra month wait just for the additional 256 storage :)

fwiw, i'm sort of glad about this wait that's happening because it makes it easier for me to not buy right this minute and think through the buying choices a little better.. (though in reality, maybe apple is doing this on purpose because i think i'm going to end up spending more this way.. i have computer money trying to burn a whole in my pocket right now and if i could just walk into the store today and buy the $4000 6core/d500, i'm pretty sure i'd do it.. they'll probably get $5g out of me with this delay :eek: )
 

MacSociology

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
110
10
Battleground Europe?!
I'll be ordering a minimum of 12 Pros in a few months as soon as we have setup the new SANs. 6 core, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB disc and D700s.


And one extra for personal use with the same specs.
 

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
1,167
1
I ordered, because…

1) I don't trust the iMac, and see it as a bit underpowered
2) don't want to deal with a Hackintosh as a primary system
3) my 1,1 is too damn old and limited to spend significant money to update to still have a 7-year-old system.
 

OldCodger73

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
15
0
Seattle area
I ordered the stock 4-core with the 500GB storage upgrade. This will replace a 1.1MP that's been showing its age. The 4-core, D300 will more than meet my needs which are a lot less than when I got the 1.1 in 2006.

On a side note, I didn't feel like staying up late or getting up in the middle of the night on the 19th and waited until after breakfast to order. Didn't feel like it would make much of a difference anyway with a BTO. Order status showed February. Just before I finalized it I check to see when store pickup would be and it showed March 6, so I expect it'll ship to me February 28.
 

michaeljk

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
56
24
ouch- an extra month wait just for the additional 256 storage :)

fwiw, i'm sort of glad about this wait that's happening because it makes it easier for me to not buy right this minute and think through the buying choices a little better.. (though in reality, maybe apple is doing this on purpose because i think i'm going to end up spending more this way.. i have computer money trying to burn a whole in my pocket right now and if i could just walk into the store today and buy the $4000 6core/d500, i'm pretty sure i'd do it.. they'll probably get $5g out of me with this delay :eek: )
Funny--I've been leaning the other way. Some of what I've read makes me question whether the D500 is sufficiently more powerful to justify the additional price. Also, having confirmed that the SSD is user upgradeable, I am also questioning whether I couldn't just get by with the 256 GB. I am now considering canceling my order and either going with either the stock 6-core or getting the stock 4-core. I will probably do neither, and just leave things as they are. Kind of like you said, though, I am kind of glad that there is a delay so I can get more information about the real-world value of the D500s. If they prove to be an imprudent investment, I might even end up going with 6-core, 256GB SSD, and D700s.

Like I've said in other posts, I could get by with a loaded iMac but do not want the monitor or the limitation due to its form factor. So, I could be just fine with the stock 4-core. My reason for going above it just a bit is that I am hopeful I will then have a Mac that I won't need to upgrade for at least 5 years.
 

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
6,963
91
Poole, England
This poll made me think of one of Matt's previous posts.

This proves this thread, that there is large amount of people that are not happy with it, and the reason why they are not happy are marked in the first post.
What does this thread prove? What further fascinating statistical analysis can you perform on ridiculously small and insignificant sample sizes and what amazing conclusions were you able to come up with?
 

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
824
1
Funny--I've been leaning the other way. Some of what I've read makes me question whether the D500 is sufficiently more powerful to justify the additional price.
It's not, unless you use the GPU for gaming, graphics or GPGPU.
 

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
320
1
Utica, NY, USA
What does this thread prove? What further fascinating statistical analysis can you perform on ridiculously small and insignificant sample sizes and what amazing conclusions were you able to come up with?
Not sure "prove" is the goal. In my mind, it's more like someplace else to natter about one's pending purchase while waiting for the blooming thing actually to arrive. I know that at least in my case once I have it in hand I'm going to be too busy using it to come here and post about it much; until then, posting stuff about it is all there is.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.