nMP + Pegasus2 + temporary hdd?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blunti, May 1, 2014.

1. blunti macrumors 6502a

So I have a nMP and Pegasus2 in raid5. I received files for work on an internal HDD but not sure how to approach it. I think if I remove a HDD from the Pegasus and replace it with the loaner it will try to rebuild?

I just want to be able to copy the files from the loaner to one of the drives in the Pegasus.

Help me solve this problem, please.

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

get a cheap external 3.0 drive enclosure and put the loaner drive in there and copy those files to the pegasus

3. evilpaddy macrumors regular

I had a similar issue when I needed to urgently copy a significant amount of data from a RAID6 array. Pulling one drive will degrade the array but it shouldn't crash. With my Synology array, I was able to mount the spare drive and then rebuild the array afterwards. Not for the fainthearted and fraught with danger.

If anything goes wrong then you loose all your data. I now have a 14x3TB array in RAID6 with a spare slot for this very purpose.

So yes, it should work but I wouldn't advise your proceed if if you don't have a backup of your data. RAID provides redundancy and not backup.

Hope that helps.

4. blunti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is that the only option at the moment? (So I'm guessing I shouldn't just swap out drives?)
    Thanks!

5. blunti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks!