Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PJNanook, Jan 14, 2014.
Which would you buy and why?
I bought the 6-Core and this link explains the why part far better than I can.
I bought the Hex because it seems like the sweet spot for processor choice in this years Mac Pro... excellent clock speeds and 6 cores makes it a beast. And it's not a huge added cost. I didn't want to be in a position 2 years from now thinking I wish I would have paid $500 more for the 6-core. And at least in some of the Apps I use, like Aperture, it can leverage all those cores at times already.
EDIT: Oops, I purchased a nMP Hex, in my enthusiasm to provide some profound advice, I didn't realize you were looking for advice on nMP vs oMP.
No worries. I know that we all do that from time to time. I just thought that more people would weigh in on this subject.
I cancelled my nMP after getting frustrated and complication of impending travel. I probably will reorder in a few months unless I find and decide to pick up a 5,1 Hex. There was one on the refurb list yesterday but was gone quickly.
Still not sure how these two world compare but I think they would be close after I added an SSD. Doing the math, it would be a little cheaper as well.
Still looking forward to some input but, I will continue to search for comparable benchmarks.
I would not buy a 5,1 system for PS, or any other Adobeville products now (except for perhaps Premiere, IF you have a serious investment in PCIe cards for video work).
For any design work, the nMP is far more suitable going forward, as Adobe CC will be updated to take advantage of the new GPUs.
The only reason to buy a 5,1 now, would be if you need to build a custom video rig, or perhaps a custom gaming rig, and there are likely better solutions for each of those than starting off buying outdated hardware.
(If you already had a 5,1, it might make sense to upgrade it instead of getting a nMP, but to buy old hardware now doesn't really make a lot of sense, unless you get a fantastic deal and aren't trying to upgrade it.)
Thanks for your input WildMac. Most likely, I will get a nMP later in the year.
Long story short: I had one ordered but got angry after they shipped my config to someone who order later than I. Also, I have to travel during the time this "January" delivery "might" happen so, I cancelled.
The projects I have right now are not limited by my computer so I can wait.
FWIW, I've decided not to upgrade my 5,1 hex with a ~ 1 TB PCIe SSD and a stronger GPU, because that would cost me roughly a third of an equivalent nMP (without any external storage).
I'll wait for a while and then think seriously about the nMP.
I'm not handicapped by the 5,1 although I wish it were faster. LR and PS run fine. If I'm getting ready to process a dozen or two D800 raw images, do I really care that a new machine might save me a minute? I'm ashamed to admit that I do -- when I'm waiting -- but I quickly come to my senses. I'm not running a production shop where clients are anxious for results.
My 5,1 did the Photoshop benchmark in under 11 seconds, which seems to be in the range of the equivalent nMP.
Thanks for you perspective monokakata.
I don't already have the 5,1 so that does figure into my calculation. Working my D800 files on a MBP.
When I really need more speed is for doing panoramas. The project for the rest of the winter is retouching some old B&W images and scanning some 35 film so the computer is not the slow part of those tasks.
Just trying to decide should I jump if another 5,1 comes up that I like.
I understand the size and needs of D800 files..
You'll certainly get a boost from the nMP, and it's going to get better as Adobe updates the software.
Sometimes I hear my MBP softly crying.
My 2006 cMP just wheezes along.. like an old truck.
Was thinking about this a bit more, and it really likely depends on how much batch processing you do, and how large of files you are making.
If you are doing normal editing for stock and such, a Quad should be fine, and spending the money on memory instead would be better (my current plan).
If you are doing large files, complex panoramas, or other things that push PS more, then a hex might be worth it.
I am doing more and more panos. It was bad enough with my D200 but with the D800 I need to go get lunch, run some errands, read War and Peace.....then come back and it is done. Well maybe not that bad. I did a 360 pano of an ancient fort in the Aren Islands earlier this year. It took quite a while.
I am thinking that canceling my order might be a blessing in disguise. The quad might not really be enough. A Hex nMP might be the right computer. I will address it again in a few months.
The only problem is if Nikon releases a new 300 f4 VR then it might have to be the lens and a Quad. Never enough money for all the toys.
Yeah, you might need a Hex...
On the flip side, I'm beginning to wonder if selling my D3s and getting a D800 was wise, as I'm discovering some of my lenses aren't quite up to the D800. My old 17-35 AF Nikkor in particular really needs to be replace to take advantage of the D800..
If the rumored Fujifilm XT-1 is really good, I might just sell it all and go 4/3.
I think at this point there's only so many people with hands on experience, hence the lack of responses. There's not a ton of real world use cases out there now as folks are getting their nMP's up and running.
We can all theorize and look at benchmarks, but it's going to the be the folks with real world performance reporting back that are going to let the rest of us know how usable the new machines really are.
I guess the even with that point, I am looking for a very narrow slice. Those with the most recent oMP Hex giving it up for a nMP Quad.
So, given that, I am looking for a sounding board with opinions on what "you" would do in my place.
Thanks all for your opinions.
Looking forward to more grounded input as more nMPs are delivered.
See the other thread about the Adobe support for the nMP. Looks like they are starting to optimize for the nMP. Good move on their part if they want to pick up more subs.
Thanks WildMac. I saw an article on new features for CC but had not gotten the time yet today to follow up.
Will do so now.
Checked out the Adobe post. It looks very promising. Will wait for the benchmarks (real world Adobe) but I'm could be that even with the D300 GPUs, there might be an advantage.
I came from a D200 to the D800. I know that some of my lenses could be better but, overall my images are better. I will add glass as I can and they will continue to improve. For panos, I use MF glass mostly. 35/1.4 AiS and 20/2.8 AiS They seem pretty good even after all these years.
I bring you back to my somewhat errant post #3 ... If you're working with D800 images, you really should be getting a nMP with a 6-core. I'm not sure why you're constraining yourself to these two choices, but stop that!
I think a lot of us are just as curious as you are
Just looking at my current finances. If I wait, I could upgrade to the nMP Hex. I had canceled a nMP Quad/32Gig/1TB and saw a Refub oMP Hex 3.33. It peaked my curiosity as what to do and for a little less money even after adding RAM and a SSD.
Also if I spend all my money on the computer, then how will Nikon survive?
LOL, yeah photography is an expensive undertaking.
Having upgraded to the D800 earlier in 2013, including spending USD15K on lenses, I know EXACTLY what you're going through. I do a lot of HDR, and my MP3,1 was feeling the pain...
However, I upgraded from a Samsun 840 Pro SSD to the Accelsior PCIe SSD, put in a GTX680 as well, and now it is zipping through the NEF files like a knife through warm butter. It may get faster, but for now it is (almost) fast enough for me.
I really want to get the nMP Hex, d700s, 32GB RAM, and the 1TB PCIe SSD, and I am sure it will be much much faster in Aperture, Photoshop, and PhotoMatix, but just can't justify spending USD6K on it right now. Perhaps in February
Thanks for the input Killerbob. If I already had a hex oMP, I think it would be a no brainer to hold on for a couple of years with some upgrades. I don't know if it would be practical to go longer so is my dilemma. To get a refub and put in the needed RAM and SSD, would be about $3.5K. (if available) If you add a upgraded video card then you are getting around $4K. I could get a Hex/32GB/512/D500 for just a few hundred more so that is the way I am leaning right now. I am going to wait until thing settle down and any glitches with the initial machines are resolved.
The updates in Photoshop CC really pushed me toward the nMP.
Of course, tomorrow is another day and I might change my mind.
Not sure I agree with the cost you quote to upgrade an older Mac Pro.
I have just bought a basic 2.66 ghz 4.1 off fleabay and upgraded to a 3.4 ghz hex core, 16gb ram, 240 ssd, still using my old hd 6870 for now. That all cost just over £1250, I guess you could add another £400ish for a better gpu and velocity card, but that is still quite a bit cheaper than a new Mac Pro.
I was working off the price of a refurb from Apple. It was available just as I made the first post.
I would not expect to pay as much for used as the one from Apple has a warranty and Apple care is available.