nMP sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by beccas, Apr 24, 2018.

1. beccas macrumors member

Is it normal for the MacPro 2013 power light to stay solid when it is asleep and the fans to stay on, although at a low RPM? Things weren't like this with with my 2009 MacPro tower.

I am genuinely trying to figure out if this is a "feature" or a flaw I have with my unit. AppleCare so far has not been helpful.

All options have been unselected/unchecked in Energy Saver.

2. vddobrev macrumors 6502

No it is not. My nMP sleeps with fans off and pulsating power light.

3. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Something is preventing it from going to sleep. Run pmset -g assertions in Terminal and examine the output, you should see the process that is preventing sleep.

4. beccas thread starter macrumors member

Can you believe 2 Apple tech reps (one on the phone and the other in-store) tried to convince me that it's a "special" feature of this MacPro model and that it is made to do this? They literally treated me like I didn't know what I was talking about. In store, I had to use their own floor model to show them that that was false. If I were ignorant, I would have believed them too. Now I wonder how many people have accepted flaws on their computers after being given bad counsel. It is not the first time (different issue) I went for support at an Apple store and was lied to/told it is to be expected unfortunately.

Anyway, I was able to find the source of the problem. The logs did not help. It would not stay asleep with a display connected. We tried multiple displays and different connection types (HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, Thunderbolt) on 3 different monitors.

After convincing them that the behavior was abnormal (though the in store rep would not admit it), they reasoned that it may be a hardware problem and they need to take it in for repairs. It is still in warranty and I just bought it used so I am just going to try to return it (assuming no hassle with the seller).