Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrkennethtong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I was expecting my Maxed out Mac Pro to do better!

65,000PPD is easily accomplished no?

Last edited:

ticotoo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
MacPro folding

I would love to get those numbers on a MacPro. I get ~19,000 on full, allocating 10 virtual cores using a hex 3.33 on a 5,1 (10.9.2). There is not a Mac Client for GPU Folding.

So what are you running to get those kind of numbers?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thanks for sharing ... Can you please add more detailed ? What CPU and clock speed ? Was there anything else running at the same time ? iTunes, XCode, FCP ?nOr could FAHclient have the system for itself ?

What WU was folding ? What TPF (Time per Frame) ? Do you have a qualified passkey for quick return bonus ?

Also I can see an issue with your configuration:
the team number must be 3446 :D

The latest news indicating that Apple and the project are working together to fix the OpenCL driver issues preventing GPU folding. Once that is done we should be all happy with Dual GPU and Xeon E5

kid2010

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
a 12-core Mac Pro Mid 2010 running on Full gets about 30,000 PPD ...

mrkennethtong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Thanks for sharing ... Can you please add more detailed ? What CPU and clock speed ? Was there anything else running at the same time ? iTunes, XCode, FCP ?nOr could FAHclient have the system for itself ?

What WU was folding ? What TPF (Time per Frame) ? Do you have a qualified passkey for quick return bonus ?

Also I can see an issue with your configuration:
the team number must be 3446 :D

The latest news indicating that Apple and the project are working together to fix the OpenCL driver issues preventing GPU folding. Once that is done we should be all happy with Dual GPU and Xeon E5

Actually left the thing running overnight with nothing on by accident.

I registered for a Passkey.

I have the Mac Pro with the maximum options, I don't even remember what's in it.

----------

I would love to get those numbers on a MacPro. I get ~19,000 on full, allocating 10 virtual cores using a hex 3.33 on a 5,1 (10.9.2). There is not a Mac Client for GPU Folding.

So what are you running to get those kind of numbers?

a 12-core Mac Pro Mid 2010 running on Full gets about 30,000 PPD ...

So you both are saying my score is good?! Just seems mediocre.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Please explain what the screen shot and slow at folding means. Thank you

The screenshot shows the client software for a distributed computing project called "Folding@Home" from Standford university.

This project aim to analyzes the structures of proteins and the transitions from one state to another. During those transitions sometime misfolding happen preventing the protein to reach its final state. This can cause diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, ...

The researches over at Stanford use our PC (Mac, Windows, Linux) to calculate this three-dimensional folding and learn more about the reasons and potential cures for diseases.

More here http://folding.stanford.edu/home/
And here
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/19/

----------

I have the Mac Pro with the maximum options, I don't even remember what's in it.

Did you finished 10 WU with this passkey ? It take some time to qualify that key ? Also you need to have a 80% success rate with that key ( finished WU ) to keep quick return bonus.

Can you share a screenshot of the system info from the Mac ? It will show us ? Or also a copy of the log file from folding client ...

You are the first one I see with a Mac Tube folding .... Aaa, I soo envy :D

D3 Shooter

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
Florida
The screenshot shows the client software for a distributed computing project called "Folding@Home" from Standford university.

This project aim to analyzes the structures of proteins and the transitions from one state to another. During those transitions sometime misfolding happen preventing the protein to reach its final state. This can cause diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's, ...

The researches over at Stanford use our PC (Mac, Windows, Linux) to calculate this three-dimensional folding and learn more about the reasons and potential cures for diseases.

More here http://folding.stanford.edu/home/
And here
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/19/

----------

Did you finished 10 WU with this passkey ? It take some time to qualify that key ? Also you need to have a 80% success rate with that key ( finished WU ) to keep quick return bonus.

Can you share a screenshot of the system info from the Mac ? It will show us ? Or also a copy of the log file from folding client ...

You are the first one I see with a Mac Tube folding .... Aaa, I soo envy :D

Thank you

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
With the dual D700s I'd be more interested in Bitcoin mining. You'd make your money back in a week with those puppies running full pelt.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
My 2009 with a 5,1 update and 3.33GHz 6-core was doing 33,000ppd, but I've been on a folding holiday for a while now. :eek:

ozbimmer

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Not in the last 6 months at least. ASIC/FPGA hashing (i.e. mining) is pretty much the only thing that would be remotely profitable.:rolleyes:

That's right.

I can't believe there's so much misinformation here in MR.

----------

Actually left the thing running overnight with nothing on by accident.

----------

So you both are saying my score is good?! Just seems mediocre.

If you want to know how yours compare to others (no joke intended :)), here's a good site to check http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/individual_list.php?s=&srt=1

Based on that you are ranked around 105 in the world. You might get higher score once you completed the required number of WU as ChristianJapan has mentioned. If you want to be the master of the folding universe then get a few fully-spec nMP and running them 24/7. Thanks for your help.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Not in the last 6 months at least. ASIC/FPGA hashing (i.e. mining) is pretty much the only thing that would be remotely profitable.:rolleyes:

He/they might be talking about Litecoin or some other S-Crypt based currency, where ATI GPUs are basically preferable to anything else (including FPGAs).

BTC isn't the only game in town, which just makes crypto currencies even more absurd (especially with the recent release of dogecoin).

-SC

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
He/they might be talking about Litecoin or some other S-Crypt based currency, where ATI GPUs are basically preferable to anything else (including FPGAs).

He said "you'd make your money back in a week" :)
Today (excluding electricity, difficulty increase over time, exchange flux and commission), with a maxed out nMP you'd make roughly :

$0.15 / day mining bitcoins
$5 / day with litecoins

As you said, scrypt is all about ati gpus (again, today - things will change drastically before a ROI) but it's not really possible to buy a less cost effective ati number cruncher than the nMP, noone in their right mind would do it - Mining is a bonus/hobby/experiment for these machines.

mrkennethtong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
That's right.

I can't believe there's so much misinformation here in MR.

----------

If you want to know how yours compare to others (no joke intended :)), here's a good site to check http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/individual_list.php?s=&srt=1

Based on that you are ranked around 105 in the world. You might get higher score once you completed the required number of WU as ChristianJapan has mentioned. If you want to be the master of the folding universe then get a few fully-spec nMP and running them 24/7. Thanks for your help.

Am I really ranked that high?! Wow. LOVE!

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I wish I had that output... Only manage about 12K per day when running 24/7 on my iMac i7 from 2010. BTW, this thread inspired me to pick up folding again, only when I'm behind the computer. So, I'm out of retirement and just finished my first WU in a very long time. :)

What are the specs of that nMP??? 12-core?

ytoyoda

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
Tokyo
I wish I had that output... Only manage about 12K per day when running 24/7 on my iMac i7 from 2010. BTW, this thread inspired me to pick up folding again, only when I'm behind the computer. So, I'm out of retirement and just finished my first WU in a very long time. :)

What are the specs of that nMP??? 12-core?
OP's nMP is maxed out every thing. 12 core, 64 GB main memory, 1TB storage and with D700.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.