nMP storage questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rueyloon, Jul 27, 2014.

  1. rueyloon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2013
    #1
    Hello

    hi, I'll be getting the NMP 6core D500 and 16 gig of RAM.
    The question is about storage, internal 256 ? or should I bump it to 1tb ?

    I am currently running on a 840EVO on my 2010 Mac Pro that I am planning to boot off from a seagate TB adapter.

    The 2 main speed increase I would like to have is

    1) smooth real time editing on FCPX without having to wait for rendering to see the effects. Mainly for the program to keep up with me doing the changes. Export time isn't that important as I handle just a few projects at a time and leaving it to run overnight is not a problem. I do short videos mainly 3-5 mins long, longest is probably 30 mins.

    2) smooth real time editing in Lightroom.

    With my 8core 3.33 2010 Mac Pro, those 2 tasks at times are slower than the changes I want to make so I constantly have to slow down and wait for the computer to catch up. Again, export is not important it is still the real time editing that I would like improved.

    rgs
    rueyloon
     
  2. AidenShaw, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

    AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #2
    Get the biggest that you can afford.

    In my experience, whatever you buy is too small within a few years. Since the MP6,1 only supports one proprietary internal drive, you can't add a second when that time hits.

    And, move the system from the EVO to the internal - don't even think about dealing with the issues with booting from an external drive on a third party adapter.
     
  3. DigitalVT macrumors member

    DigitalVT

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    Second that thought. The internal SSD drive will be more faster than any external third party drive, and you don't want the headaches that come with that either. Maybe use your EVO for Projects?

    My preference was for 512G drives, but I also use TB externals for content and stuff.
     
  4. dogbait macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2005
    Location:
    London, England
    #4
    Definitely maximize internal storage. The larger SSD options are faster than the smaller ones and they are not an aftermarket part either.

    Furthermore SSDs slow down as they approach capacity so you'll want to anticipate keeping 25% free.
     
  5. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    #5
    I agree with what everyone is saying, however...

    With the very very fast TB2 external interface, it is possible to add super-fast storage later on. Of course go as big as you afford, but do not think that is the end.

    Solutions such as Sonnets Echo Express external TB2 expansion box, Mercury Accelsior cards, and Sonnet Tempo Pro cards, make it easy to add ~1'000MB/s storage, in the same league as the internal PCIe SSD.
     
  6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

    VirtualRain

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #6
    True that, but it costs a lot more to add it externally later compared to buying it with the machine.
     
  7. austinpike macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    Location:
    MN
    #7
    • The internal drive is held on with one screw; there are no upgrades available now, but it should certainly be possible for OWC or someone to develop a replacement eventually. So I wouldn't necessarily feel like you -have- to get the biggest drive.

    • I've had no headaches booting off an SSD with Seagate TB adapter. (Installed Win 8.1 on an external instead of splitting the internal.) Though I wouldn't necessarily go that route for your primary OS. I tend to keep projects on external SSDs for shuttling to/from work, so personally I wouldn't really use a larger internal drive anyway.

    • Have you confirmed that your particular rendering needs will get a decent boost from the video cards? I would assume so, but anything dependent on the processor alone isn't going to see a whole lot of improvement over your 3.33.
     
  8. rueyloon thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2013
    #8
    Are you saying I should go up to the d700 ? Any one facing problems in fcpx with my current config ? I just sent in my order today for the 6c d500 1tb 32gb
     
  9. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    #9
    I am fairly certain Apple has licensed the interface on the storage in the nMP, and I am not sure anyone actually are allowed to make substitutes. I am no legal scholar, not just thinking aloud. Hence; 1) go for whatever you can afford today, 2) do not expect anyone can sell storage replacements anytime soon, and 3) so what, the external options are plentiful.

    As for the graphics solution the same holds true, except here I am certain you will not be able to replace the D3/5/700s int he nMP. Way to much effort to do it yourself, and it would have to be a turnkey solution to upgrade. Here you do not have solid external options (even with TB2 and PCIe boxes it is still too slow for graphics), so buy what you need right now, no matter if you can afford it or not!
     
  10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

    greenmeanie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Location:
    AmigaWarez
    #10
    I would get the 1TB the one thing I wish I did when I ordered mine.
     
  11. austinpike macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    Location:
    MN
    #11
    Personally I'm not an FCPX user so I can't say. Given that the $ upgrade from 512GB -> 1TB is about the same as d500 -> d700 I would put that money into the video cards as those are least likely to be upgradeable. I'd also start with a base model at 12GB ram and configure it up with processors/video cards and buy your RAM aftermarket. (ends up cheaper than the Apple upgrade and you still have your leftover 12GB to sell or whatever.) But maybe that's nickel and dime-ing.
     

Share This Page