nMP to Logitech Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rich.Cohen, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Rich.Cohen macrumors regular

My nMP just came! :):)

However in all my research I didn't think about connecting it to my existing speakers. These were high-end Logitech surround sound speakers when I bought them 5 years ago. They were (and are still) connected to my oMP with an optical audio cable. The nMP does not seem to have such a connection. Any suggestions about how to bridge this gap?

2. funwithdesign macrumors regular

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I'm assuming he already has a toslink cable. ;)

My adaptor is on the way.

4. funwithdesign macrumors regular

For sure, I just don't like ugly adapters. :)

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I may need a new cable anyway. The speakers are for my TV (which is now monitor #3) and I'm not sure it will reach from the nMP

6. Rich.Cohen, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

Rich.Cohen thread starter macrumors regular

I was confused. From the size of the connector on the nMP I thought I was looking at a simple headphone jack. Now checking the specs I see it is both an electrical headphone jack and an optical connection. It looks like your $0.87 plug is all I need!

I just checked. It looks like my 2010 MacBook Pro has the same connector. I never knew! Thanks for the help and the education.

7. funwithdesign macrumors regular

The 2010 MBP has a combined digital/analog mini jack but I don't believe it's optical though.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Why don't you? My 2006 MacBook, 2008 Unibody MBP and mid-2013 rMBP all have the 3.5mm analog+mini-TOSLINK combo jack. (The former 2 machines had the advantage of sporting a similar analog/digital input as well!)
    It says so even in the System Info!
    So the only thing you need is the matching cable:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

Its optical. It's an electrical mini jack socket for analogue with an optical emitter hidden behind it for digital. You need a 'TosLink to Mini Optical' optical cable - one end looks like a plastic mini-jack plug with the fibre optics at its tip, the other end is the more familiar, square-ish SPDIF connector. They're widely available.

(the previous poster, priitv8 has a fancy cable with metal tips which doesn't help the 'its optical' argument - but it is. Hope he didn't get charged a ridiculous price for all that non-functional bling!)

10. priitv8 macrumors 68020