nMP Upgrades from base for PS user?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Photoshopper, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

FINALLY replacing my 1,1 with the nMP at work. Looking at the base 4-core. Besides adding more RAM (16 or 32) and the 512 SSD, what else should I consider in order of importance as it fits within the company's budget? 6-core, card upgrade?
    I create/work with +/-300MB PS files, LR, some Illustrator. No video to speak of, and my eventual replacement may be doing some 3D.
    Thanks!

2. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

For just LR and PS, I'm getting 6-core, 32GB (from Crucial), 512GB SSD and staying with the base D300 graphic cards. I will spec this up from the base 4GB so I don't waste $100 that Apple bakes into the base 6-core for the extra 4GB of RAM and I don't need the D500 cards either.

If you are really going to be doing some 3D then probably I would go for the D500 cards and the rest the same.

But consider getting 2 16GB Ram sticks from Crucial instead of 4 8GB chips from OWC or Apple. That way you can later add two more sticks if you feel the need for 64GB of memory.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I wrote somewhat of an essay on this subject earlier today...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1686374

4. Photoshopper, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

Photoshopper thread starter macrumors regular

Photoshopper

I myself won't be doing any 3D work, mostly PS files with +/-100 layers.
    Along with the larger SSD and at least 16 GB RAM, it sounds like I should consider going up to the 6-core.

Guess I'm not sure what's more important for my work-- processor speed or cores...

5. wildmac macrumors 65816

Yes.. :)

LR will use up to 6 cores, PS is all over, depending on what you are doing.

6. Photoshopper thread starter macrumors regular

Photoshopper