nMP what aftermarket upgrades ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mjoshi123, Jan 30, 2014.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

I'm planning on getting nMP Xeon E5 Hex core with 16GB RAM + D700 graphic card upgrade.
    I want to know will I be able to add more SSD storage if I need in future or is it worth getting it directly from Apple ? I'm planning on getting RAM upgrade from third party as I may not need more than 16GB initially.

2. vader0401 macrumors newbie

3. Sikh macrumors 6502

Sikh

I don't think anyone's notice but on apples website they listed the flash memory as user accessible. I definitely don't this was a mistake but I don't see them offering ssds for letting customers change them even thou this machine is geared at the pros and some pros wouldn't mind plus it's too easy on this machine.

At work we ordered 3 nMPs to start off with. All stock ssd because owc offers the ssd at a better price. Also these all will be hooked up to a thunderbolt raid or USB 3 drive of some sort so not too worried. Main drive should always just be OS.

4. Bones13 macrumors member

Bones13

I ordered the same spec. RAM upgrades are already available. We are hoping that either apple, or OWC offer upgrades for the super SSD this machine uses. It appears that the CPU can be upgraded by the brave soul now. Some are hopeful that Apple will offer GPU upgrades as that technology improves.

5. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Thanks all for responding, yes I'm not thinking of getting any extra RAM as it would be cheaper outside instead of getting from Apple. I was not sure about SSD part. Will it accept aftermarket SSD or what comes with nMP is proprietary apple component. Also is this thing overkill for mainly Digital Photography editing work in LR5 + CS6 and some coding + Powershow slideshows ? My current setup is top of line Mac mini upgraded with 16GB RAM + 1 TB SSD. My current setup is okay but I need something that has more power and can cutdown on my editing time.

Also anyone here tried Business lease with Apple ? How it works and is it worth it ? I can buy machine outright but thinking if I can lease it for my business it might give me more tax advantage compared to buying and depreciating over a period of time.

6. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Those two technically are not exclusive. Apple's SSDs are proprietary (made exclusively for Apple ). However, that doesn't mean a 3rd party can't but another custom design in the same socket.

These two stories aren't 100% consistent... but it is CES floor show talk and a future product so perhaps not too surprising.

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-n...n-ssd-upgrade-capable-1-8gbs-ces-2013-update/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7673/owc-to-bring-aftermarket-sf3700-pcie-ssd-upgrades-to-2013-macs

Q2 or Q3 .... It wouldn't be surprising if it is Q3 and they wait to see if Apple doesn't tweak the connector or do something silly. Or deviates into standard M.2 format ( which would be sensible). Either way it is going to be several months before there are any options here.

Some folks don't like LSI/Sandforce Flash controllers. The 3700 is a new generation so the vast majority of the 'haters' don't have any real world experience with it.

Doubtful these are going to be dramatically cheaper than Apple's. If faster than Apple's then OWC will probably 'lean' on that factor to offer at approximately the same price. [ in part to offset having to custom engineer to Apple's tweak of M.2 ]

For that workload the D700 is overkill. If know for sure going past 16GB in the short-medium term then tweaking base model for 1650 (6 core) and D500 is a bit cheaper. Short term have 12GB but only have to unload (or keep for back-up) 3 DIMMs instead of 4.

A D500 adds a small amount of longer term upside if LR+CC evolve in next 2 years to do more GPGPU workload. Not sure what kind of coding but D500 is also likely an incrementally better match to future libraries/contexts.
    If intent to keep the Mac Pro for over 4+ years then probably a better move.

If intend to stick with CS6 for next 4+ years then D300s are fine.

Not sure what you are doing with Mini after retirement, but one option is to pulled the 1TB SDD from mini , insert into a TB enclosure , and attach to Mac Pro. Can use the standard config's SSD for OS/Apss and continue to use this 1TB for you archive.

If 80+% of the content of this 1TB SSD is compressed pictures then the then LSI/Sanforce 3700 may/may not be a good choice. It should have incremental refinements for handling compressed data, but if primarily just have 100's of GB of compressed data to store those are not the best match for a flash controller. They are aimed at much more "normally balanced" data sets.

Whether six cores is going to help is highly dependent upon the editing actions you invoke. Again if on the CS6 "forever" bandwagon then the current "rule of thumb" of 6 core being sweet spot has more traction.
    If going to track software maximizing available hardware then 4 core may be more viable than old rules of thumb suggest.

Is your intent to upgrade machines with same/similar period frequency as the lease length? 2-3 years and upgrade is likely the pace you'll be on.
    If targeting a 4-6 year cycles it is a mismatch.

Whether it makes sense tax wise is probably a better question for accountants than this forum. It is really highly dependent upon your specific revenue stream (both amount and how consistent it is) and costs.

7. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Thank you for taking time out to give me detailed response - much appreciated.

8. between2tides macrumors newbie

Curious about the memory. The folks at OWC told me that you have to have 4 slots utilized. I had been thinking about just using 2-16's to start adding a second 2-16's down the road. According to them that's a no go. Thoughts??

9. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

The OWC folks are clearly wrong - the base quad uses 3 DIMMs.

An HP server with the same chipset is fine with only one of the twelve DIMM slots populated.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple's SSDs are in no way proprietary.

11. VirtualRain, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

12. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Any of Apple's manufacturing contractors selling them? Nope. Does Apple own what they commission to be specifically designed? Yes.

Are compatible devices inhibited by some "proprietary licensing" and Apple "owns' the complete concept? no.

The basic SSD is just an M.2/NGFF SSD. Same components (controller , flash) being used on more standard SSDs on the market now. Apple tweaked the pin out design. ( given their track record with "extra" thermal data out on iMac HDD and gobs of temperature sensors inside Mac Pro likely to run another sensors and/or sensor data format that the more general standard doesn't cover. For the most part, the only thing different is the arrangement of the pins.

in short, although there is an industry standard they could follow, Apple has tweaked it to be slightly different so that right now only their implementations fit. Is that permanent? No. if their funky tweak is generally useful ( e.g., mini DisplayPort) it might even get weaved into the standard over time.

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

If the connector was proprietary then OWC would not be able to make the same part without likening it from Apple. Just because it is a unique connector does not make it proprietary. RAM

14. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

How do you know this?

Are you certain that Apple doesn't have a patent in the pipeline on the "tweak"?

15. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

According to the definition of proprietary I believe you're incorrect... Just because it can be reverse engineered does not change the fact that it is Apple's own (and thus proprietary) design.

16. dolphinspirit macrumors newbie

Why just OS on main drive?

Sikh - RE your comment:
    At work we ordered 3 nMPs to start off with. All stock ssd because owc offers the ssd at a better price. Also these all will be hooked up to a thunderbolt raid or USB 3 drive of some sort so not too worried. Main drive should always just be OS.[/QUOTE]

I have read various opinions on whether it is preferable to only use your main drive (in this case the 1tb sad on nMP) for OS and Applications. Why do feel that is true?
    I have compared performance with FCP 10.1.1 using both ways (files on main drive or files on external thunderbolt HD) and there performance is better with everything on internal SSD.
    What do you feel are the problems with this?
    Thanks