nMP what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Calculator boy, Mar 12, 2016.

  1. Calculator boy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2012
    #1
    Hi all!

    Against my better judgement (purely emotional) I bought a CTO 6 core nMP with d700s and 512gb SSD.
    Order was placed on the 4th of march and from what information I can glean from the forums here, it appears that Apple normally delivers within a few days. In this instance my order says delivers in 1-2 weeks with target delivery date of march 15-21st which kinda coincides with the next apple event....do you guys (and gals) think there is a possibility of a spec bump or updates to the nMP?
     
  2. h9826790 macrumors 604

    h9826790

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2014
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #3
    Can you cancel the order and just wait for few more days? I thinks that's more "secure".
     
  3. thefredelement macrumors 65816

    thefredelement

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    My thoughts..

    1) Cancel your order, the March event is close, the next event is June and the one after is probably September/October.

    2) I was going to suggest you just buy the same model as a refurb but went to go look and boy is that refurb stock LOW. I haven't checked it regularly since November but I never remember just seeing 3 models... I don't know if that's indicative of anything. However if the March event passes and there's not a new one, I'd try to spy the refurb page and get that model.

    3) I have the same model, it's great and awesome but a newer one will be even greater !

    4) Since it was purely emotional wait it out as long as you can to get the best bang for your buck. If you don't really care about it all that much then just enjoy it when it comes :).
     
  4. Calculator boy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2012
    #5
    I suppose I could but doesn't apple allow you to swap within 14 days?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2016 ---
    Thought about refurb but don't get nMPs in the Australian Apple store
     
  5. Squuiid macrumors 6502a

    Squuiid

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #6
    Definitely cancel that order, just in case.
    Buyer's guide: Mac Pro
     
  6. Average Pro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    Location:
    Cali
    #7
    I suggest you take the following into consideration before making a decision: speculations, rumors, emotion, having the ability to predict the future (accurately), unbiased and educated responses to the thread, possibilities, probabilities, what someone heard, the forum person who has the psychic ability to know and speak on behalf of anyone who has considered purchasing an apple product (they profusely use the word "everybody" in their posts), etc.

    One thing will happen following your purchase - an upgrade - be it a bump, hardware, software, or feature. And following that upgrade, there will be another and so on.
     
  7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #8
    All true at any time.

    However, there is a lot of new tech around that other companies are selling - but that Apple is not.

    There's a chance that Apple will announce the nnMP at the March event or at MacWorldSF in June.

    This seems to be a bad time to buy unless you need the system now to make money now. (In which case, it's obvious that you should buy it now to make money now.)
     
  8. mattspace macrumors 6502

    mattspace

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2013
    Location:
    Australia
    #9
    I suspect Australia's warranty laws is a contributor, but my suspicion is that all failed nMPs go back to America for reprocessing and refurb sales, just because they're light enough to ship cost-effectively. The old mac pros definitely did appear in .au refurb.

    The next Mac Pro is waiting on Skylake Xeon chips and chipsets (so there's your rough timetable for when to expect it - it's definitely not slated for this upcoming event in a couple of weeks). What will it get you that the current one can't do? Fiji-based graphics cards, so more higher resolution screens able to run off it, and Thunderbolt 3. What does TB3 get you over TB2? Pretty much external graphics cards is it. Whether Apple actually supports the ability to put a generic retail card in a PCI chassis or something like AMD's XConnect, or keeps eGPU functionality as whitelist-specific to their own eGPU based monitors, is unknowable at this stage.

    If the current machine can do the work you want to do for the next few years, and you're buying it as a piece of office equipment that you don't want to think about, like a photocopier, you're probably OK. Going for a stock 4,1 you might be paying ~$1000 for a 2.26 dual, which with some upgrades might be fast enough to tide you over until the full ramifications of the TB3 transition have settled out, and cheap enough that it would be less than the loss you'd take on selling the 2013 machine.
     
  9. Calculator boy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2012
    #10
    Thanks to everyone for their input. My purchase will more than suffice my needs, was half wishing that there was a possibility for a bit of surprise. All said what I am not happy about is having to wait over 2 weeks for a CTO nMP. again thanks everyone!
     
  10. AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #11
    What's your basis for stating that Apple will skip Broadwell ?
     
  11. Derpage Suspended

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #12
    What are you using it for? If you just like the looks and feel that you need one in your life, just get a used base model and use the left over money to invest in a Ute. They are way more fun than mac pros.
     
  12. Calculator boy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2012
    #13
    My business uses Macs for financial analysis and visualisation and work with largish datasets. Aesthetics is a bonus. As an American living in Aus, have always fancied owning a ute....Fiancee would never let me get one.... so have to settle for the mac Pro.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2016 ---
    ooh status has change to preparing for shipment! should have it in a few days!
     
  13. Tucom macrumors 65816

    Tucom

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2006
    #14
    What is a Ute?
     
  14. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

    Flint Ironstag

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Location:
    Houston, TX USA
    #15
    Basically an El Camino :D
     
  15. Tucom macrumors 65816

    Tucom

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2006
    #17
    Oh it's an actual car? I see the comedic essence in the post now :p
     
  16. pat500000 macrumors 604

    pat500000

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2015
    #18
  17. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

    briloronmacrumo

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #19
    Apple's USA online store shows two day delivery for a base 6 Core nMP. This isn't consistent with a possible new update but supply levels aren't always a good indicator. Shortages outside the USA( since nMP is manufactured in the USA ) might be an early warning but could just as easily be a temporary supply chain glitch.
     
  18. mattspace macrumors 6502

    mattspace

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2013
    Location:
    Australia
    #20
    Or... about the timeframe for a low-volume CTO product manufactured in America, and then airfreighted to Australia.
     
  19. pat500000 macrumors 604

    pat500000

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2015
    #21
    maybe....
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2016 ---
    I'm sure supply levels aren't aways a good indicator..but what would they go by if supply wasn't the indicator?
     
  20. Calculator boy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2012
    #22
    Weird just got shipment notification with delivery scheduled for tomorrow. It has to be "in country" then
     
  21. pat500000 macrumors 604

    pat500000

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2015
    #23
    If you don't like it..return it within 14 days.
     
  22. iceman42 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2012
    #24
    you don't need more than a quad core.there is no program that uses 4 cores its just a waste of money.i would of upgraded the gpu to D700.i went with the 4 core and d700.you can add more ram and a ssd later.im thinking about putting in a 4tb ssd drive in my mac pro soon
     
  23. mattspace macrumors 6502

    mattspace

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2013
    Location:
    Australia
    #25
    Autopano Giga. All 8(16) cores on my 4,1 max out for several minutes while rendering multi-gigapixel images.

    So there's one program, at least.
     

Share This Page