No 10.7.2 for, like, ever?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Lokheed, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Lokheed macrumors regular

So I'm looking at it this way, 10.7.1 was just loosed. They fixed very little, mostly just big whammies that might seriously crippled usage. But there remains tonnes of little things (hey, GMs always have a tonne of little things, remember Snow Leopard? Quite a few bugs out the gate on that one), stuff that just makes Lion feel less polished and mostly serves to irritated than render unusable.

 has also been seeding 10.7.2 to developers for a long time now, well before 10.7.1 was even on the horizon. It focuses entirely on getting iCloud up and running and requires a new version of iTunes to boot.

So how are they going to swing this? Because if iCloud is going to roll out alongside iOS 5, then that might have to wait till the next iPhone is announced. And all signs point to an October launch. The inclusion of an updated iTunes makes it less likely that they'll roll out 10.7.2 and leave iOS for a later date as they are uniquely tied and iTunes has always served as more of backseat driver anyhow. Again that pushes things well into Q4. That means no more OS X updates till then. Seems quite a ways away to live with 10.7.1 (which actually didn't nearly touch on as many things as SL's first point update).

I suppose  could just very well fork 10.7.2, but again, as far as we developers are told, it just deals with iCloud stuff at the moment, and a fork wouldn't really be SOP. Seems like a strange move, but even stranger would be to release iCloud on OS X and hold off on iOS 5 as I'm sure they want to showcase the power of iCloud and that should include all your  devices, be them Macs or iPhones.

I'm just trying to understand their process here as they've got a lot on the go, and everything is integrally tied together. An update to OS X that includes iCloud leaves iDevices out in the cold, and I don't see iOS being ready for a while yet, or released without at least announcing a new phone (been over a year since the iPhone 4 and everyone is getting really itchy), but that means an October (maybe even an early November) release of everything.

Strange times as  just gets bigger and bigger... but I wonder how far away is the next update for Lion?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

10.7.1 is almost certainly included in 10.7.2. They are not going to fork a new tree.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You can guarantee that 10.7.2 will be released by Oct 7 or around then. The iCloud support will be needed for iOS5. 10.7.2 is already on the 11C40 build.

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

.2 is probably a delta update, so the changes from .1 don't need to be included since they won't be reverted

5. unaxillo macrumors newbie

10.7.2 is more than an iCloud update. I think it will show in september, because one thing is 10.7.2 and another thing is the iCloud installer.

I think that we will see 10.7.2 around September, and iCloud installer in October. All depends of when they want to release iOS5 to the public.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Perhaps but with all the talks about 10.7.2, it looks like it's primary focus is iCloud and a separate installer is not likely. 10.7.2 will likely be similar to the update that allowed Mac's with 10.6 to get the App Store.

7. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

The main focus of 10.7.2 may have only been iCloud at first, but it is certainly not the case anymore. The latest build is almost double the size of the original, and iCloud has its own separate installer separate from 10.7.2. I think many of the bigger bug fixes that should have been included in 10.7.1 will be included in the 10.7.2 update.

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The iCloud for OS X Lion beta has always been a separate install. 10.7.2 always has been a separate download/installer.

9. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I know. That was my main point to the poster I quoted who stated that a separate installer for iCloud was not likely.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Oh my bad, I thought you were making a point of saying iCloud is a separate install, but it always has been separate. :)