No 15" nTB yet???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GtrDude, Jun 5, 2017.

1. GtrDude macrumors regular

Geeez Apple common now, make a 15" MBP with no touch bar.

Pleeeze....

Why not?

2. MBX macrumors 68000

Most likely 2018 along Mac Pro. Apple mentioned they're exploring more non touch bar versions of MBP's in future.

3. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Because they are invested in the Touch Bar long term.

4. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I think it would definitely be nice to offer, but a bit of a concession that Touchbar isn't 'all that,' whether it is or isn't, this early on :D

5. alpi123, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

alpi123 macrumors regular

alpi123

There's no going back. It's like removing the 3D Touch from the iPhone. They want you to experience the most.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Probably costs more to give this option than the sales it would generate even as a custom build and the 13" base spec is a differentiator to encourage more to opt for more expensive model for those that want it

7. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Did you really expect that?

8. leman macrumors G3

Where did they mention this? It would be incredibly dumb of them to fragment their hardware like that...

9. MBX macrumors 68000

They mentioned it when they released statement on Mac Pro. And as well as that they were surprised how many customers bought older MBP's as they didn't want the touch bar. However that was most likely because of ports. And they stated then they'd be considering possible more nTB versions, so 15'' nTB as there is already 13'' nTB.

10. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Well, their investment is loosing them customers. After keynote, I am ordering P51s Lenovo thinkpad. My first windows laptop since 2009 :(

I have experienced TB. And returned that MBP asap. It's a total gimmick for a developer. And since I work with 100+ people, I really have to object to Apple for pushing that (gimmick) TB at all. Just a few people here actually use it and love it. But none of them do development.

Everyone else returned their MBP 2016, and are still using older retina MBP's. I think that speaks for itself. But then again, I have nothing against TB. If you love it, great. Buy it and use it. But the problem is I have nothing to buy, since 13" is to small for me (already own 12"), and I want that 15" MBP, but without TB.

Jumping ship for now. Will consider MBP in a 2-3 years when I update my hardware again.

11. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

They would have no excuse for the extortionate price without it ;)

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, whether people love or hate it, the issue that developers will be even more resistant to leveraging the TB is they think apple isn't fully dedicated to it. Plus if they sold a non-TB 15" model for less money many people would pick that over the TB one just for $$ and that would work against Apple for wanting to promote it.

13. evec macrumors regular

TB is good but should included the traditional function key on below

14. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

Ma2k5

At least 3D touch was an addition, while the touch bar a replacement.

But I doubt they will back away from the touch bar. Saying that, who knows!

To be fair, I think we are likely to see better revisions of a touch-bar before non-touch bar variants.

15. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

They will respond to market forces. So if you don't like the current machines, don't buy them!

16. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

Ma2k5

I think the more interesting development in terms of market forces - is that I see Apple going in the direction of gaming (we just saw external GPU enclosures). So much of their iPhone revenue comes from games and they know that MacOS currently lags behind Windows in this department. Would be interesting to see an age where MacOS is seen as a good platform for gaming.

17. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

I thought sales of the non touch bar 13 inch model was abysmal?

18. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

I don't think this was about gaming. Did you notice how many times they said "machine learning" during the presentation ? This is about machine learning which can leverage GPUs. They made a big deal about the upcoming iMac Pro doing 'half-precicion' calculations - again a machine learning thing. They also seem to be baking ML support in High Sierra (which sounds epic by the way)

19. MBX macrumors 68000

Not sure about that. At least I gave them my money for the nTB ;)

And hope we see a 15'' nTB unless the TB version improves. At least a retina quality touch bar and not the current low-res that looks cheap compared to the screen above.

20. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Also, we have absolutely no hint of the TB ever coming to Desktop (for good reason IMO) and thus Developers will continue to be hesitant to dedicate too much energy to it. It's tough to go all in on something that has to be an optional enhancement to a workflow due to the fragmentation of those who have it or don't (and never will on Desktop I think).

21. GtrDude, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

GtrDude thread starter macrumors regular

I recently got a Lenovo X1 Carbon, because I for one couldn't live with the keyboard on the new MBP.
    It is truly an amazing machine and I LOVE the keyboard on this thing.
    It has keys that have an actual travel (over 1 mm) and you don't have to listen to an artificial sound nor do you have to feel that fake feeling like you did something awesome when that haptic feedback on the MBP kicks in...lol what a mess.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/21/2016-macbook-pro-keyboard-issues/

Plus I have all the connections, no need for dongles.
    Somehow Lenovo got this super light and thin laptop and they were able to maintain a very nice keyboard PLUS all the connections one would need....hmmm......
    The trakpad is a "normal" size and it has the TrackPoint mouse too.
    I'm looking up the P51. Looks very nice.

22. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

@GtrDude
    Yes, I agree with all you said. But I needed a workstation, not a ultrabook, and so I went for P series. Already own a 12 MB for my portability needs. And I have access to thinkpads everyday, and they really do have the best keyboard without a doubt. At least to me :)