No 16gig?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wishsong, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Wishsong macrumors regular

I'm on the website right now, and the prices skip from 8 to 32... what's up with that? 16 is just right for me, I don't want an 8 gig....

2. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

You now get 32gb for the price of the old 16. YOU WIN!

3. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

Could the 16 gig be the technical difficulties they were talking about? I would much rather buy a 16 gig for 200 dollars.....

4. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

We will never know....

5. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh this news SUCKS. Any news on the speaker and other small updates?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How does it suck? The iPods are cheaper for the same capacities of previous.

Also the 8GB doesn't include the earbuds with remote and mic nor does it have volume buttons.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

What if you didn't like the previous models?

8. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

The Battery didn't even get better. That's like the biggest thing. It's basically the same thing only cheaper and is like half a second faster....

9. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

A choice from three capacities is more than generous.

Keep the 8GB as the basic model for those on a tight budget.
    32GB for the mass market,
    64GB for top-end, money to burn, large music / video / photo collections.

16GB is a model that won't be missed. Like already said, you get the 32GB for the same money. No-one else can understand your issue.

10. jreuschl macrumors 6502

So if the new Touch is faster, and the battery capacity is the same, wouldn't the battery life go DOWN?

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Could be more power-efficient, I don't know.

I'm waiting on everything until I see some benchmarks and hands-on tests.

12. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It did go down, check the site. 36 hours went down to 30 hours

13. colonels1020 macrumors regular

colonels1020

I'm very curious to see the actual CPU speed of the new models. The previous model was the fastest iPhone OS-based device before the 3GS was released and now they're saying that the new iPod Touches are twice as fast as those were! Anyone think they could be faster than what's currently in the 3GS? :rolleyes:

14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Someone mentioned this in another thread, the 8GB model will be the $199 probably until January/Feb. at which point Apple will bump it to 16GB model.

As the 8GB to 32GB jump isn't Apple's style, but once the 8GB run out (Apple plans this to be early next year), then 16GB will be $199.

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am interested in a speed bump, only because I see this as a portable computing device, more than a gaming machine. I currently have a 2G 8 GB, and moving to a 32gb with faster performance is highly interesting to me.

I would have liked to see more additional features added this round, but the speed graphics capabilities should be good too.

[​IMG]

16. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

I have a recently new 16GB, I'll sell it to you for the old price.

Muppet.

17. bericd macrumors member

Then go and look at the refurb store - you will see them there.

18. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

sighh i want the 16 gig too =.= where has all the models gone to. I don't believe that have sold all the 2g 16 gig. I remember the shuffle when the new generation came out, they are still selling the old one on apple online store.

SIgh.. 16 gig is just right =.= 8 gb too small, 32 gb too big. BAH!

19. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Then snag a refurb or find a new one at amazon and other places selling it.

20. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

no amazon in aussie =.= and other places (online shops) are selling it at the old price. maybe they haven't renew the prices. But i prefer to get them from more legitimate sources just for the warranty dates etc etc.

as for refurb... don't have confidence in those... plus I kindda want to engrave my ipod (seeing that i lost my previous one =.=)

21. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Actually, I'm in agreement, dropping the 16Gb seems odd because it leaves an £80 gap between the low end and mid-range models. 16Gb seems to be the sweet spot for many users and a 16Gb third gen model would have made a very nice entry level model for the new range. Let me put it this way:

£150 - 8Gb 2nd Gen
    £190 - 16Gb 3rd Gen
    £230 - 32Gb 3rd Gen
    £300 - 64Gb 3rd Gen

Would have been a very nice range and given those who are looking to upgrade a less painful choice. That psychological barrier of going through the £200 barrier as an upgrade to an existing Touch is a biggie and seems to be making a lot of people stop and reconsider the purchase. I know I'm really struggling to justify £230 when I don't need the extra space (although it would be nice it's not a requirement) and really it's mostly for the extra processing power.

Not saying that's right or wrong but I believe it's a valid way of looking at the current range. Of course the same can be said of BertyBoy's post too so who knows :D