No 17" MBP announced??

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Soo... who thinks the 17" is still going to be updated? And which model is better- the retina MBP (which *seems* not to have user upgradable parts..., ram HD, etc), or the new 15" without retina but can be upgraded???

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
New 15" takes up to 16GB according to what I've read so far. Ivy Bridge should work up to 32GB on mobile chipsets. If you can't upgrade it yourself, it's just a matter of if you do need beyond 16GB on your laptop. The Apple charges too much for ram thing is moot to a degree. They've had generations where basic ram bumps cost very little. When they're expensive it's typically that they're not doing very many, so you're paying for the configuration more than the part. Soldered ram hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet though. If it's an issue of failure, ram isn't one of the more common points of failure.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
New 15" takes up to 16GB according to what I've read so far. Ivy Bridge should work up to 32GB on mobile chipsets. If you can't upgrade it yourself, it's just a matter of if you do need beyond 16GB on your laptop. The Apple charges too much for ram thing is moot to a degree. They've had generations where basic ram bumps cost very little. When they're expensive it's typically that they're not doing very many, so you're paying for the configuration more than the part. Soldered ram hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet though. If it's an issue of failure, ram isn't one of the more common points of failure.
I thought the late 2011 MBP's could take 32GB?

diannao

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2010
As expected. They phased it out.
Not necessarily. They've updated the 17" a few months later than other models before.

I think it's a hopeful sign that they've added a third line of notebooks, so that may mean they are OK with more niche products and a more complex set of product lines.

flightsr

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Not necessarily. They've updated the 17" a few months later than other models before.

I think it's a hopeful sign that they've added a third line of notebooks, so that may mean they are OK with more niche products and a more complex set of product lines.
No 17" on the Apple site anymore.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Looks like I'm going for a 2011 17". Can't do without that massive screen.

Bazzy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Hi All,

I got one just 3 weeks ago & can only hope that they will only go up in value now that they are discontinued otherwise my Karma sucks!

Bazzy!

XX55XX

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
Didn't some analyst say that only 1% of MacBook Pro purchases were for the 17-inch model?

Apple has done its research. Consumers don't like huge laptops.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Didn't some analyst say that only 1% of MacBook Pro purchases were for the 17-inch model?

Apple has done its research. Consumers don't like huge laptops.
You know, for a community of people who like a small-minority product, Mac users sure are quick to shower scorn on people who like something they don't.

I really liked the 17" laptop. I don't remember exactly how many 17" MBPs I've had, but more than I've ever had smaller ones. It was the only model with a reasonable supply of ports. :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I thought the late 2011 MBP's could take 32GB?
They probably can, but good luck finding 16GB sodimms. I was just saying that he should only worry about the ram thing if it will actually affect him.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hi All,

I got one just 3 weeks ago & can only hope that they will only go up in value now that they are discontinued otherwise my Karma sucks!

Bazzy!
Only up to $2199, at that point a buyer is better off getting new tech.

You know, for a community of people who like a small-minority product, Mac users sure are quick to shower scorn on people who like something they don't.

I really liked the 17" laptop. I don't remember exactly how many 17" MBPs I've had, but more than I've ever had smaller ones. It was the only model with a reasonable supply of ports. :)
Agreed! If the 17" is officially discontinued it will be missed.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One

Yeah, 2 USB ports is 2 too short.

The 17" maxed out was my dream computer, was saving up but now...

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009

Ironically..Apple was one of the first manufacturers to come out with a 17" laptop, back in 2003 with the first PowerBook G4.

----------

Yeah, 2 USB ports is 2 too short.

The 17" maxed out was my dream computer, was saving up but now...
The best you'll have to do is snag a Late 2011...which may just dip in price. I'd try a sealed one off of eBay.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I think you guys are reacting prematurely.

Apple always leave the 17" till last. If I remember correctly when they jumped from the PowerBook we got the 17" Pro after the 15.4" model had been out a while. The same sort of delay happened when they announced the Unibody models.

The 17" model is far from dead. I would expect it to be in the same vein as the Retina MacBook Pro though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.