Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OndrejMirtes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Hi,
I am trying to configure Macbook Pro 13'' with Touch Bar and the online Apple Store does not give me an option to upgrade the SSD, only the CPU and the RAM. Is this a known limitation or some kind of a bug?

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
It appears the only difference between the two 13" models listed is the SSD size. Your first choice is 256-only. The second choice bumps the storage to 512 and gives you a 1 TB option.

It's a bit confusing. There should really only be one entry with all three SSD options.

Reactions: Cougarcat

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
It appears the only difference between the two 13" models listed is the SSD size. Your first choice is 256-only. The second choice bumps the storage to 512 and gives you a 1 TB option.

It's a bit confusing. There should really only be one entry with all three SSD options.

I agree it's mildly confusing, but this is probably not the right solution, either. CTO options are an exclusive "you can only get this at Apple.com" thing. But in this case, you most certainly can get the 2.9MHz i5/8GB RAM/512GB Flash configuration off the shelf at the Apple Retail Stores and from independent retailers. If something's available off the shelf, it shouldn't be a CTO option.

If you look at the two 13-inch MBAs, you see the same thing. There's a 128GB model where you can only CTO the graphics, and the 256GB model where you can CTO both graphics and storage.

If you analyze the options for the various iMac base models, same idea, but different implementation. In the case of the non-Retina 21.5" iMacs, both the CPU and graphics chips are different, while you have the same storage CTO options for both.

Wherever I look, the same thing - you can't apply CTO options on one base model to create a configuration that's available on another model (either off-the-shelf, or CTO) - something has to be different.

It almost seems like a rule Steve would have come up with. ;-)

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, I thought at first you couldn't get 512GB in the 13" MBP; it appeared that the 512 GB option was the 15". So I originally ordered it with 256GB. After realizing my mistake, I changed my order to bump up the CPU (to 3.1 GHz), the SSD (to 512GB) and the memory (to 16GB). I expect this to last as long as my last MBP: ~7 years.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
I agree it's mildly confusing, but this is probably not the right solution, either. CTO options are an exclusive "you can only get this at Apple.com" thing. But in this case, you most certainly can get the 2.9MHz i5/8GB RAM/512GB Flash configuration off the shelf at the Apple Retail Stores and from independent retailers. If something's available off the shelf, it shouldn't be a CTO option.

If you look at the two 13-inch MBAs, you see the same thing. There's a 128GB model where you can only CTO the graphics, and the 256GB model where you can CTO both graphics and storage.

If you analyze the options for the various iMac base models, same idea, but different implementation. In the case of the non-Retina 21.5" iMacs, both the CPU and graphics chips are different, while you have the same storage CTO options for both.

Wherever I look, the same thing - you can't apply CTO options on one base model to create a configuration that's available on another model (either off-the-shelf, or CTO) - something has to be different.

It almost seems like a rule Steve would have come up with. ;-)

I generally understand, or can theorize, why Apple would have different configuration options on different entries in the online store, but I don't recall an example like this one. The "base" machine for both store entries is identical save for the size of the SSD and each entry has the same memory and CPU upgrade options, for the same prices. The only discernible difference between the entries is the SSD, both what is in it at base and what upgrade options are available for it. Again, it begs the question why there wasn't one entry with the three SSD choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.