Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
hey...i know i could call 611 about this, but...

- out of curiosity, i wanted to see if it was a simple "click away" to upgrade from my 200mb data plan to the 2gb should i want to by either the iphone AT&T app, or via the web OLAM. but low and behold, i don't see anything under "Features" that would allow me to switch plans. i can upgrade my texting plan and other things, but not my data.

anyone else seen this?

i could call, i as i note above, but i'm not ready nor need to upgrade to 2gb, so this is more an "academic exercise" right now in knowing what i need to do should i go over or close to the 200mb limit down the road...

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
You should be able to from the OLAM - try opening the features specific to your phone - not just the main features page for the account.

I have a family plan with my line +1 - main page shows text messages etc etc

clicking on my number allows me to edit features specific to my line (which includes data)

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I had the same issue. It took several calls to a couple of different departments, starting with "611", and about 3 weeks, for AT&T to get it fixed. But they finally got it. Customer Service finally had to submit an actual trouble ticket to their Systems people. I ended up getting a text message and an email with the ticket # in them, and that's when I knew I was making progress. Before that, it was just a huge phone runaround.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
hmm...i think i'm still missing something. i only have one phone on my account and whatever i try, i only get a singular choice for my data plan (which is the 200 mb one i currently have...

any more detailed instructions?

You should be able to from the OLAM - try opening the features specific to your phone - not just the main features page for the account.

I have a family plan with my line +1 - main page shows text messages etc etc

clicking on my number allows me to edit features specific to my line (which includes data)

ugh...

were you actually desiring to switch, or to just get the option listed for future use?

I had the same issue. It took several calls to a couple of different departments, starting with "611", and about 3 weeks, for AT&T to get it fixed. But they finally got it. Customer Service finally had to submit an actual trouble ticket to their Systems people. I ended up getting a text message and an email with the ticket # in them, and that's when I knew I was making progress. Before that, it was just a huge phone runaround.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-23 at 10.30.52 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-23 at 10.30.52 AM.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 54

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
hmm...i think i'm still missing something. i only have one phone on my account and whatever i try, i only get a singular choice for my data plan (which is the 200 mb one i currently have...

any more detailed instructions?

I can't take a screenshot of my OLAM since I'm at work but mine is different:

I have Unlim (marked), 2gb and 200 mb - both selectable. Then texts, etc etc

Maybe you should try calling 611 - could be an issue like the post above yours.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Maybe you should try calling 611 - could be an issue like the post above yours.

yup...just did. explained to the rep that others have seen this and could he submit a help ticket...took about 20 min on hold, but let's see if the help ticket goes through and solves the problem.

interestingly, he asked when i needed this done by so i could switch, but i honestly told him, i wanted this done pre-emptively because i wanted to be able to rapidly switch during upcoming business travel when i might exceed my 200mb limit.

hopefully, this will work out and not take 3 weeks and several phone calls as it did for ratbatblue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.