No 2TB BTO in 13" Macbook Pro? Swap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chemistslime, Oct 28, 2016.

1. chemistslime macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I did some searches and didn't find any topic relating to having the option to upgrade to the 2TB storage SSD for the 13". For the 15" you can upgrade the BTO to 2TB for either 1200, or 1400 depending on your base model. Any idea if these are soldered on like the 12" MacBook or I can potentially do a swap from a 2TB 15" MacBook pro into the 13".

2. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

Nope, unfortunately the SSD is soldered to the board, so what ever you choose is what you will be stuck with

3. cube macrumors G5

Is the 15" so trashy too?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Do you have a source confirming this? It certainly looks like it in the drawings Apple showed, but I haven't seen it confirmed.

5. chemistslime thread starter macrumors member

Oh really? I was looking at the breakout in the video and it seems to have a heatsink which is what the 960pros have as well. I'm hoping I can open it and either swap in the 2TB from the 15" or plug in a 2TB 960 pro with an adapter.

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 4.11.05 PM.png

6. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

This has simply not been confirmed as the truth. In fact, during a recent teardown of at least the non-Touch Bar model, the SSD is NOT soldered to the board.

Teardown Reveals New MacBook Pro Without Touch Bar Has Removable SSD

Likely that the Touch Bar model won't have it soldered in either, but who knows

7. laser71 macrumors regular

SSD drives to date have NOT yet been soldered to the boards, and the new non-touch bar 13" is not soldered either. I'd say it is very likely they will not be soldered.