No 3G/network at all

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sb22, Oct 9, 2014.

1. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

Hello all, hope you can help

I sold an iphone 5 (on ios7) to a friend when i got my iphone 6. Its been a few weeks and he was happy, but now, somethings gone wrong. I only have details he has given me but i wondered if anyone had any experience or could make light of this.

He couldnt get a network signal. At all. I believe he took it to Carphone Warehouse for help, who tried to reset it in the hope it would solve the issue. It didn't. CPW now claim it's a software issue and are asking him for £220 for a "repair" :eek: I think they are COMPLETELY taking the pee!

Not only this, CPW claim that the phone has had issues like this in the past. This is untrue, I had it since June 2014, without a single fault!

CPW have asked for confirmation of where the phone was originally obtained, so I have forwarded him the receipt from Apple.

I asked my friend if he had updated , whilst I know he has updated to orginal ios8 since purchase, i am not sure if he has updated to further versions.

I suggested to restore via itunes but since reset, iTunes wont recognise the phone?

He is going to visit the genius bar at the weekend. He's so disappointed.

Can anyone shine light on the issue here? Sorry it's a little vague!

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

It sounds like he might have iOS 8.0.1. He should be on 8.0.2.

3. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

Yep, sounds like he updated to 8.0.1, which knocked out the cellular. When I did this I had to put the phone into recovery mode, then update to 8.0.2, which fixed the problem for me.

4. sb22 thread starter macrumors 6502

sb22

my thoughts too,thank you. i am not too clued up on that because i missed that update.

i cant believe CPW are trying to pull a fast one - at the same time trying to claim the handset had previous issues, making me look like i was flogging a dodgy phone :( and trying to con my friend out of money!

Hopefully the Apple Store can sort it all out. :D

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

The thing is that the cellular issue in 8.0.1 essentially only affected iPhone 6 (and 6 Plus), and earlier phone models like the 5s, 5c, 5, etc. weren't affected by that.

----------

Whether or not it's related to 8.0.1 it would probably be best to try some things out, startig with simple reboot of the phone, to resetting network settings, to resetting all settings, to actually restoring the iOS (using recovery or DFU mode to get the latest iOS version onto it and basically start it as new so that hopefully it goes back to working properly). Alternatively perhaps there's something with the SIM card and maybe trying another one would be worthwhile. That's assuming nothing else weird might have happened that could be behind it, like the phone being dropped perhaps, or getting some moisture in it, or something like that. Hopefully visiting the Apple store will get it all sorted out.