No 3G Network, no need for a 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonrou, Jul 14, 2008.

1. tonrou macrumors newbie

Okay here is the deal, I live in Green Bay, WI, and while most of the nice big cities have the 3G network, we don't.

My question (Having an iPhone 16GB already) is there ANY reason for me to switch? 3G Network speed isn't going to happen for me, GPS (nice but not NEEDED) is there any other things I am missing out on? Even down to a price break on the 3G, if so, what are the prices for me now, and then.. etc

Thanks to anyone willing to add any kind of useful information. :D

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If you already have the old one, I don't see how the new one being cheaper is going to effect you.

3. jake36wi41 macrumors member

You're saving $10 a month by sticking w/ the old one, might as well ride it for now. If 3G extends to GB, and you feel the need, make the jump then. If GPS isn't a big deal, you're not really getting anything THAT different, as long as you've updated to 2.0 software.

Basically I only wanted to respond here to say: Go Packers (former Wisconsinite now living in LA ;) )

4. tonrou thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct me if I am wrong, I heard something about 'upgrade' pricing, not sure of details or anything.

Main reason is for the past few months there has been a big push by AT&T in the area, they broke through the Time Warner wall and got their TV service up here and rumors of them soon bringing the 3G network to the Green Bay/Appleton area are flying around.

If I can get the 3G iPhone for cheaper right now with an 'upgrade' I would like to rather then waiting, them bringing out the Network up here and then having to put down the big bucks later on.

How much is the new 3G for people with the iPhone already. I guess I have not had much time to really look into all this, hopefully someone can help with a straight answer with pricing

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sounds like you are a satisfied 1st-gen iPhone owner.

I assure you there's nothing wrong with that :)

6. tonrou thread starter macrumors newbie

Well with the software upgrade, and no 3G Network in the area, doesn't seem much different to jump to 2nd-gen. I mean, I want the latest, and best, but I already have a 16GB, there is no bigger and any other added features it seems like I wouldn't Be able to use, without 3G.

If I am wrong, please enlighten me. I have not had much time to read EVERY thing put out about the new one, simply because I have to keep up with other things, like video games.. :)

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I just bought a new 16 GB 3G iPhone, and my primary reasons for doing so were (1) 3G (I do have 3G in my area) and (2) larger capacity (I've got the original 8 GB iPhone that I bought on Launch Day last year). Otherwise I would have just stuck with my original iPhone, as the new 2.0 software update brings it very close to the functionality of the newer phone. I've got the new software in both devices now (the original iPhone, now no longer able to serve as a phone, will be like a fancy iPod Touch for me and I plan to keep it) and really, the hardware differences that I mention above would be the only compelling reason to buy the new 3G iPhone. Since you don't have 3G access in your area that really knocks that out, and there's no point in paying for something you can't have. You've already got the 16 GB capacity in your current iPhone, so you wouldn't be gaining anything there either.

Hang on to what you've got for now, enjoy it with the 2.0 update and then when 3G does arrive in your area, think about buying the 3G iPhone.

8. tonrou thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, seems like there are 0 iPhone users up here..

Thank you for the great response, I will just stick to the phone I have then, really wish 3G was around here, it would be a no brainer to switch to the new phone.

I may just get an used older iphone for the GF now that so many people will is switching, and GB has no 3G Network (and I doubt we will anytime soon)..

9. RJ17 macrumors regular

I would wait for 3G to be available in Green Bay before upgrading, as I am pretty you will still be eligible for upgrade pricing for the 3G iPhone.

10. tonrou thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the prices, 199/299 is the upgrade/new customer price? what is the other price on the phone?

11. mb2008 macrumors regular

I'm just shocked your phone works in Packerland. Everytime I visit my phone reception is horrible - it only works outside! And if we go outside of GB it's gone. But I am glad to hear they are making an effort to improve it, as my iphone and I will be visiting at the end of the month.

12. tonrou thread starter macrumors newbie

I have had AT&T Wireless in Green Bay sense like 2001 and never have never had a problem anywhere in the area (well, there is a 2 or 3 min drop of service on the way up the door county) But have had people on different phones have problems

I'll ensure you though, my iPhone works great. However my friend complains about his and the reception a lot, so I guess its a coin toss for you still ;)

What brings you up to GB? I didn't think there was anything up here (other then a packer game) worth coming here for..

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Turn off 3G and get better battery life. Isn't the headphone jack better on a 3G iPhone too? Better wifi reception. A-GPS. Potentially useless extra sensor. Better sound.

It's more than just 3G in the new iPhone. I live in a full blown HSDPA area but even with just EDGE I'd be happy paying £150 for the above and 16gb iPod.

14. mb2008 macrumors regular

My DH is a native, we are coming up for a wedding. Trust me, I don't mind visiting in the summer....it beats the weather here (D/FW). Expect dry, hot weather starting July 25th, we usually tow a high pressure system with us.:D

15. tonrou thread starter macrumors newbie

Dry weather sounds good at this point, may dry up some of the floods :D

Just get ready for no traffic reports on google maps, no crystal clear Satellite close ups, or 3G up here on your iPhone.. lol, it's a hard knock :apple: life. lol