No 3G now or in the future - do I get an iPhone now!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwright1974, Mar 28, 2008.

1. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Hello All

I am in a position where I could get an iPhone today but not sure what to do so I thought I would come here for some advice!

I've checked on O2's website and there is currently no 3G network coverage where I live and when I selected the 'future' option there is no planned 3G for round here.

So my question is, do I get an iPhone now or hang on for the rumoured 3G version, whenever that might appear?

The 16Gb version would be fine, (I currently have a 16Gb Touch and that is fine for my music, photos, etc).

Not sure what other advantages a 3G one would bring, (as nobody else does except the possibility of Apps/iTunes being downloaded over the phone network).

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

- D

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, the O2 map shows HSPDA (or whatever its called) coverage, which I believe is 3.5G.
    I can't find it now but yesterday I spotted a proper 3G map for o2 and it was quite large. HSPDA coverage is absolutely dire here but 3G looks better than what I first thought.

Personally I'm waiting. A 3G iPhone can't be too long off now. If there are no more rumours around July then I'll probably just get the current iPhone.

3. dwright1974 thread starter macrumors 6502

dwright1974

That's true, it does only show HSPDA access. And then thinking about it, it might change within the 18-month contract period!

The map I was looking at was here.

Thanks for your help.

- D

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thing is EDGE would be fine for me, but looking at the download speeds of 3G I could really use the BBC iPlayer when not using a wifi connection. Just really wish I could find the coverage map again.

This isn't as detailed, but the best I could find again.

edit: found it!. 3G 2100.

5. dwright1974 thread starter macrumors 6502

dwright1974

That's great, thanks! According to that, I do have 3G coverage round where I live! EDGE would probably be fine for me as well but I know I would be gutted if they did announce the 3G one in April, almost days after I got the current iPhone!

Will sit here waiting for the announcement in April/June/September/2012!!

- D