No 3G or Edge service this morning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by filmfanatic24, Jul 19, 2008.

1. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

So I woke up this morning and went to my phone to check my email and noticed that it couldn't connect to my mail server. I thought that was odd and then noticed I wasn't connected via 3G or Edge. I went into the settings and made sure I had it enabled (I did, but disabled and then re-enabled just to make sure) and that didn't help. So I then did a soft reset of the phone, still didn't come on. Then I did a hard reset of the phone and still didn't come on. I tried to sync it as a last resort and still nothing.

Is it possible that the service is just down in my area (Kansas City) and is there a way to tell this online or is my phone just shooting craps?

2. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

You may not be in Kansas anymore. Did you notice any tornadoes last night? It could be that while you were sleeping your house got picked up by a tornado and now you are in OZ? Just a guess...

It actually could be that a cell tower is down but I would think a cluster of them should be within range of your phone and therefore you would have some service. Do you not have any signal at all? If you do have a signal then it could be that AT&T is doing some type of maintenance on their infrastructure over there.

3. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Kansas City is actually in Kansas and Missouri, and I'm in Missouri.

I have full cell signal and can make calls just fine. Yesterday I had 3G in the exact same spot I'm sitting in now, so it's not like I'm trying to get it in a place I never had it before.

4. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. pcbyday macrumors newbie

I was in Kansas an hour ago and had no internet and am in KCMO now and have none here. I now have a 3G logo at the top, but I'm not able to load a page or connect to email. Full 5 bar signal for phone. On hold with ATT w/a 9 minute est. wait time.

6. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

I too now have the 3G symbol but still have no internet or data with the error "Could not activate cellular data network"

7. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

I'm going to say they are doing network maintenance, it's a good bet that they are doing some type of upgrade. T-Mobile does the same thing, they don't inform you and if you call them they will not tell you there is a problem. I think with them it's simply a communications issue but I don't know what AT&T's customer/technical support is like since I've never had to talk to them.

You might try going into your "Settings" -> "General" -> "Reset" -> "Reset Network Settings"

8. pcbyday macrumors newbie

AT&T says they are aware of a system outage in KS & MO. They are "working on it" and "hope to have it resolved soon". No estimate on how long until it's resolved. Text messaging still works.

Thats all I know.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You're not the only one. When i woke up this morning i reached to my phone and noticed i only had 1 bar. I thought i had EDGE turned on from last night but this morning i thought i was using 3G (my WiFi was connected already). So i go into settings and my 3G was indeed off.... So my EDGE signal was horrible. It's fine now.

I'm in Chicago btw.

10. jeremydjohnson macrumors newbie

Still no 3G in Missouri / Blue Springs

Yeah, it is about 1:30am on the 20th and I still don't have any service other than being able to make calls :mad:

11. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I'm in Columbia, MO and I've been getting 3G with full bars (granted that I'm still using my old phone, iPhone on monday) but surprisingly I've been getting good service all around town.

It's weird that KC would have issues, but like you've said and whoever (edit: pcbyday) called AT&T, they must be working on it.

M-I-Z ... anyone?

12. jeremydjohnson macrumors newbie

looks like 3G is back up and running for me now too. Still having gps issues though but that may be something completely unrelated.

13. iMeat macrumors member

Im happy to see im not the only one. Thought my phone was crapping out. I was at power and light all night and couldnt get data service.