no 3G reception at all

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aethelbert, Dec 12, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I was yet to notice issue with my phone receiving 3G signals until the other day. I traveled to an area without 3G service for a few hours and when I reentered the 3G coverage area, I was still only getting EDGE and GPRS. I have checked the tmobile coverage map for the area countless times and of course it's blanketed in 3G coverage. I have swapped the SIM from the iPhone into another 3G phone and it worked just fine so it is apparent that the network is in tact. I have restored and whatnot, even back to 2.1, and I get no reception. And no, the 3G switch is not turned off.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the 3G antenna has either died or disabled itself. I'm assuming that there's no diagnostic check that I can run myself to find the problem, correct? I'm just looking for any possible solutions before I'll have to ship it off for another week. If you have any ideas, feel free to interject. I will have to pass on the ecumenical "take it to the apple store" answer, though. For reference, I did call up tmobile and they were of absolutely no help as they best answer I could get was to restore the phone.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Hmm, are you from the United States?

Since you said T-mobile, I assume you're not. When you're within 3G area and still getting Edge, try turning on Airplane mode, then turn it back off and see what happens.