No 3G service since 4.0.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by finatk, Jul 16, 2010.

1. finatk macrumors regular

UK iPhone4

For some reason myself , my father and two other friends I know with iPhone4's can't pick up 3G signal anymore since the update.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

2. dubnde macrumors regular

Same problem with me @ http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=969053

Which network?

3. finatk thread starter macrumors regular

O2-UK , Hmm.. Spoken to a couple of the guys In work who own iPhone4's and it seems some are picking it up and some are not.

Might have to re-download and re-apply the update when I get in.

4. dubnde macrumors regular

Read somewhere it is mentioned may have to restore as new to recover.

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

6. dubnde macrumors regular

Should have mentioned it. Tried did not work. Tried hard reboot as well did not work.

7. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I'm on O2 and I'm still getting 3G but its alot moodier. In the same position it keeps losing 3G and gaining it every 15-30 seconds, pretty annoying.

8. dubnde macrumors regular

Always suspicious when they mentioned AT&T calculation. Thought 4.0.1 was not supposed to affect anything else but display!

9. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Friend of mine is on Orange and everything works as before except NOW WITH ADDED HD SIGNAL BARS!!!!!1capslock

10. dubnde macrumors regular

This seems (for my case anyway) to be related to location and/strength from base station I guess. Went back home to restore phone over lunch and even before the restore I had 3G/HSDPA at 2mbps+. Restored and still had 3G/HSDPA. Went back to work where I could get 3G/HSDPA on 4.0 and now there is 3G/HSDPA with 4.0.1.

So maybe due to 3G signal strength, it now seems to drop down to EDGE/GPRS even in areas it could easy do HSDPA (2mbps+) in 4.0.

So if the fix only affected display, why the hell is it messing up the 3G reception in areas it could get it?

Note that before and after the update, I had the "death grip" problem but that never prevented 3G at my work before.

11. dubnde macrumors regular

I have since received a replacement iPhone 4 from AppleCare people and the new one does not exhibit this problem after updating to 4.0.1. It actually does not have the proximity sensor issue (I know is software problem). So probably the update cocked up the last phone.

Should mention I also received carrier update 7.1 from T-Mobile UK so that may have updated some profile not sure. All in all much better experience.