No 3G signal after update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UndertheRadar, Sep 12, 2008.

1. UndertheRadar macrumors member

Anyone else getting no service on 3G after going to 2.1? Edge works fine. Also I'm in NYC. :confused:

2. Stocktrader macrumors member

Same boat here.

[​IMG]

3. Seb&ss macrumors newbie

Same here. And going off AT&T's Coverage viewer, my location is RICH in 3G (Cen Cal).

Been having this problem ever since 2.0.2. Went from 5 Bars of 3G with average speeds of 1.3-1.5 mpbs (with 2.0.1) to 1-2 bars of 3G with speeds of 300 kpbs (2.0.2). I thought updating to 2.1 would fix it....guess not, now I have no 3G coverage.

Seems to be on AT&T's end as I went from the previously mentioned 5 Bars of 3G to 1-2, to 0.

4. odelay macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I started getting this today on 2.0.2, decided to restore iPhone to 2.1 when it came out and seems ok now. Have you tried a restore?

5. Seb&ss macrumors newbie

I haven't tried a Restore yet, what good would that do? Yes, I'm a newb :rolleyes:

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I had the same thing this morning (Bay Area, CA). I saw it mentioned here that cycling the power may help, so I gave it a try. It seemed to fix the problem of it staying on "No Service" instead of dropping to EDGE, but I'll have to see if it really helped as the day goes on.

7. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Your photos show 1:02 PM and 1:03 PM. As we all know, when you first turn 3G on or off, it takes the phone about 30 seconds to switch over. (at least back on 2.0 it did). Take screen shots that are at least 2-3 min apart. I think that will solve your problem. It should look like this...

Attached Files:

8. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for the OP, but I waited a few minutes while staring at the "No Service" message before I turned 3G off again and had full strength EDGE. It just wouldn't drop down on its own before I restarted the phone.

9. Seb&ss macrumors newbie

Well, I left my 3G on while I ran to the store and it works fine now:

[​IMG]

10. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

So last week I didn't follow up because I got on the train, got home and voila it worked. I live outside of nyc in the burbs. Now that i'm back in the city I get no 3G service. Anyone else out here in nyc having this problem. I'm on 40st and 6th ave.

11. Stocktrader macrumors member

Same boat as you last week, got to burbs and 3G worked fine.
    I'm also at 40th and 6th (SE corner above PAX) and seem to have 3G (or so the phone says).
    Testmyiphone.com results below:
    0.03Mbps (25k)
    and a few fails after that.

12. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

What is so frustrating is that when it does find 3G it doesn't hold it. For the first time i'm getting full bars of 3G at work. I work near the George Washington Bridge. At my desk it full bars. Able to go online, fast, all good. Get up (with my phone) and go to another part of the building. 3G drops to Edge. Back at my desk, it's still on EDGE. It seems to be locked into Edge. It won't switch back to 3G on it's own. I have to toggle it. Very annoying.

13. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

Hilarious. I'm right across from the pax on 40th, just look for the giant flower pot outside. My 3G starts up and then goes to no service. i spoke to someone at att and they couldn't confirm that there's an outage so they transferred me to a tech but i was holding for 25min and just gave up. Come on att! its nyc for gods sake.

14. phonehead6720 macrumors newbie

Same here, thought it was my phone and the update got messed up, but restored multiple times and have the same results. In my highrise apartment (40th and 2nd Ave) I had 3 3G bars before the update, everything worked (calls, internet). Now it will say the 3G signal is 5 bars but you cannot make a call or connect to the web. Then it stays on No Service for a while, then finds 5 bars 3G but can't connect. I have to toggle it back to EDGE for everything to work. Walking outside my apartment however 3G works fine. Probably another glitch in the ridiculous saga of iphone 3G defects/software.