No 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fireshot91, Jun 19, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Why do I not have a 3G status next to my bars?

I don't want to go onto Safari or something and later find out that I'm not on a data plan.

Even though I checked with AT&T and I have the iPhone Data Plan+1500 Texts for $30 a month.
    Then I switched SIMs into my 3GS and Voila, no 3G symbol.

2. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. Torq macrumors regular

The "3G" indicator has no bearing on whether you have a data plan or not.

It can show "3G" there, "E" or the little circle (basic GSM data) all will work with your data plan, and the only thing that varies is the speed of your data connection.

All that matters for billing purposes is that the line that has the data plan on it is the one associated with whatever SIM you are using. The plan/subscription follows the SIM not the phone.

If you are not seeing a 3G icon then more than likely you are not in an area with a 3G signal (plenty of places are not, or have marginal signal). You may want to check to ensure you have 3G enabled in settings on your phone (Settings | General | Network).

If you are configured for WiFi you will see that indicator instead of the network indicator when you are connected via WiFi.

4. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I have an internet plan, sure it's the original iPhone data plan+200 texts, but it's still there.

I have full bars, in a 3G service area, my 3G is enabled, wi-fi disabled.
    My brother's iPhone 3G has full 3G service right next to mine, and mine has just full service, there is no E or no circle.