No 3rd party keyboard when swiping into a notification

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by cosminsel, May 8, 2015.

1. cosminsel macrumors member

cosminsel

When I get, for example, a text and swipe right to open the Messages app from the lock screen, I only have access to the stock keyboard. The globe icon is MIA. I have to return to the list of conversations and then go back to the message I just received to be able to switch to Swype.

This has been an issue for a while now, but I just accepted it. Is this intentional or a bug?

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

3. cosminsel thread starter macrumors member

cosminsel

Any idea why?

4. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

I believe the consensus is privacy/security for some reason.

5. cosminsel thread starter macrumors member

cosminsel

I guess that would make sense for replying from the lock screen but once I've put in my passcode and the Messages app has opened why do I need privacy from my own keyboards? lol

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

It shouldn't happen if you already unlocked the phone and basically aren't using quick reply.

7. cosminsel thread starter macrumors member

cosminsel

I'm referring to the receipt of a message when the phone is locked.

So basically I'm at the lock screen and swipe right on a message. I'm prompted for my passcode and input it. The Message app opens with the stock keyboard instead of what I was last using.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, once you unlocked the phone then the whole thing about "quick reply not being able to use 3rd party keyboards when the phone is locked" shouldn't apply.

I guess part of this might relate to how you have your keyboards set up in Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards -- do you have the one you want to use as the top/primary one, and perhaps even removed the stock one?

9. cosminsel thread starter macrumors member

cosminsel

Yup. Swype is at the top of the list, followed by Emoji and Cheatsheet. No stock English keyboard.

10. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the "globe" is usually a "smiley" when this happens. Keyboard has timed out due to security.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

What security? The phone is unlocked at that point, it should stay at whatever keyboard was selected and used before.

12. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

True, but I thought that Apple said that keyboards are kept in their own sandbox and cannot connect to the web unless you allow them.

I guess Apple, being Apple, are taking away the risk of privacy concerns -- even though the choice to share information is already in our hands.

13. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that makes sense but it doesn't work like that.

If you leave the messages app open in the background for a long time, eventually the third party keyboard will return to the stock keyboard. It times out, and the way iOS handles RAM, the third party keyboard will be killed by the OS and not kept in memory.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

If that's what happens then it's a bug and not a feature.

15. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

It's not a feature most definitely. It's not a bug either if it's poorly implemented this way either.