Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
By this time last year the Kaby Lake Core m3/i5/i7 had been out for 2 months and Apple released the 3rd gen Retina MacBook the following spring. This year we haven’t heard a thing from Intel about the next gen Core m3. The update to the 13” Pro-class processor was Kaby Lake but with 4 cores and a slightly slower GPU to fit within 15W. Cannonlake is rumored to be delayed even further into 2018. Since Apple has historically waited a few months after initial release of Intel’s latest chips, does this mean the current generation will be around for a while?

sevvere

Suspended
Oct 20, 2017
Looks like it. No cannonlake for a while means no new macbook 12 for a while. It's rumored/speculated that cannonlake will see significant improvements over other chips in comparison to their predecessor so I was waiting on it but I'm not sure I want to wait till end of 2018 for windows machines and probably March 2019 for macbooks.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
By this time last year the Kaby Lake Core m3/i5/i7 had been out for 2 months and Apple released the 3rd gen Retina MacBook the following spring. This year we haven’t heard a thing from Intel about the next gen Core m3. The update to the 13” Pro-class processor was Kaby Lake but with 4 cores and a slightly slower GPU to fit within 15W. Cannonlake is rumored to be delayed even further into 2018. Since Apple has historically waited a few months after initial release of Intel’s latest chips, does this mean the current generation will be around for a while?
We have heard about CannonLake, shipping within weeks and ramping up in the second half of 2018. Unfortunately there have been a myriad of reports falsely claiming delays on intel’s side. The latest timeline from intel officially is “We’ll be shipping our first 10-nanometer products near the end of the year beginning with a lower volume SKU followed by a volume ramp in the first half of 2018.” see this article to see the full story and intel’s response. https://www.extremetech.com/computing/256127-rumors-imply-intel-pushed-10nm-cannon-lake-back-2018
[doublepost=1513099670][/doublepost]In other words MacBooks are on track for a WWDC refresh or even a possible Spring event if Apple decides to replace the aging MacBook Air with a new 13” MacBook. I see no reason for Apple not to add a 13” model then drop the 12” to $999 starting price and have the 13” take over the current pricing model. Apple is due for some price adjustments anyway looking at their current rather confusing lineup of Macbooks as a whole.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
This assumes Apple will release the Cannonlake MacBook shortly after Intel releases the chips. They haven’t with Broadwell, Skylake or Kaby Lake.

That said, it would be good to see a formal launch of a Cannonlake product this month.

Reactions: gobikerider

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
This assumes Apple will release the Cannonlake MacBook shortly after Intel releases the chips. They haven’t with Broadwell, Skylake or Kaby Lake.

That said, it would be good to see a formal launch of a Cannonlake product this month.
If we follow your idea then a WWDC refresh still fits that extended timeline, but if Apple is introducing a 13” MacBook I definitely can see a Spring Event happening for 2018 MacBooks.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
If we follow your idea then a WWDC refresh still fits that extended timeline, but if Apple is introducing a 13” MacBook I definitely can see a Spring Event happening for 2018 MacBooks.
They are positioning the 13” non-Touch Bar Pro as the Air’s replacement. Once they can get it down to $999 I think they will discontinue the Air.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
They are positioning the 13” non-Touch Bar Pro as the Air’s replacement. Once they can get it down to $999 I think they will discontinue the Air.
Yah but let’s be real they are entirely different devices for different people. A 13” MacBook is far more ideal replacement then a MacBook Pro is and I feel current MacBook Air users would agree.

Reactions: navaira

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Yah but let’s be real they are entirely different devices for different people. A 13” MacBook is far more ideal replacement then a MacBook Pro is and I feel current MacBook Air users would agree.

MacBook redesign isn't due until 2019. No way will they introduce a 13" MacBook before then. The market just isn't big enough. 12" MacBook is simply perfect in every way. If you want larger, there's the 13" MBKP for a similar amount of money. Saw a MacBook Air in a store yesterday and my gosh, did that thing look 5+ years too old. Can't understand why they don't put 128GB into a 12" MacBook M3 for the same price as the Air. (Not a lot of storage but the same as the Air and OK I guess for those who stream everything). Having used the new MacBooks since 2015, to me they are truly perfect in fact, my favourite Mac and I've been using Macs for 22 years now (23 in February).

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
MacBook redesign isn't due until 2019. No way will they introduce a 13" MacBook before then. The market just isn't big enough. 12" MacBook is simply perfect in every way. If you want larger, there's the 13" MBKP for a similar amount of money. Saw a MacBook Air in a store yesterday and my gosh, did that thing look 5+ years too old. Can't understand why they don't put 128GB into a 12" MacBook M3 for the same price as the Air. (Not a lot of storage but the same as the Air and OK I guess for those who stream everything). Having used the new MacBooks since 2015, to me they are truly perfect in fact, my favourite Mac and I've been using Macs for 22 years now (23 in February).
I love the MacBook but as a 12.9 inch iPad Pro user I’m too accustomed to the 13 inch display size for my uses.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I keep going back to the fact that they just released $150 leather sleeve for the MacBook a month ago...

I don't see them changing the form factor for a while now. Maybe it is just wishful thinking since I just bought the 2017 rMB and I want it to be the latest and greatest for a while.
Honestly, if it runs as well(and as fast) in 2 years as it does now, I will be pleased. It's way faster than I was expecting.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Doubt it, I wouldn’t want a redesign maybe an extra USB C port but I love the design just wish it had a larger display.

Your iPad Pro's screen is 0.9" bigger diagonally. Hardly worth an entire lineup of new Macbooks for that. The 12" is perfectly sized, I had a 15" Retina Pro before it.

I'd like to see a second USB-C port, simply so I can charge from either side.
120Hz display with the wider P3 colour space would be great (HDR10, Dolby Vision support perhaps?).
For the love of god a better Facetime camera, I use it a fair bit and it's junk. Unacceptably bad on a laptop this expensive.
Also naturally faster chips, whenever Intel's 10nm process is up to decent yields.

The higher refresh rate display would make a bigger change than 1" of extra screen, especially as it would probably mean a bigger laptop which I don't want. I have a highend gaming rig with an Asus PG279Q monitor and the 165Hz is so silky smooth, I do notice the difference when switching to my Macbook.

Reactions: sockdoggy

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I would like to see a second port, and maybe a larger screen but same foot print. Since apple almost went all in with the iPhone X "all screen", I would hope that Apple would take cues from Dell's laptop line with the infinity edge. Unfortunately the camera placement would affect that, but I never use the webcam anyway.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
There may be misunderstandings about this here. Firstly, the update to the processors used for the 13” MacBook Pro did not have a weaker iGPU ‘to fit within 15W’. Intel haven’t announced 15W models with Iris graphics yet, let alone the 28W processors that are used for the touch bar models. Cannon lake for low power chips (the 5W chips in the MacBook) will be released first, you may have hear about delays but it’s likely they’re talking about 10nm in terms of the whole processor lineup.

Reactions: gobikerider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.